Great news for the future of android phones. (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Not only will this bring Android up to the latest Linux kernel version it will enable long term support for phones.
I tend to keep phones for 5-8 years and being on really old versions of Android OS is a nuisance for some software.

This will fix that. But it will be a few versions before it is fully in play. So about the time I am ready to buy a new phone again :)

5 year support cycles for Android phones is coming. Yeah, yeah, I know you get this on Apple phones already but I spend £150 on each phone and they last me 5-8 years :p

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
im assuming this is good news as i understood none of the article
Basically. The current android OS is based on Linux, but it is a version of linux that is branched and modified by Google, Then branched and modified by the chip manufacturers, which is then branched and modified by each phone model manufacturer.

What google is saying is that this branching will stop. There will be a primary kernel that will be supplied by google and updated via the play store.
This primary kernel will have "hooks" that chip and phone manufacturers can link into to provide the custom functionality. These hooks will be stable.
Think of this like drivers in your windows system. Where you have a different driver for NVidia and AMD graphics card but the core windows kernel stays the same. This means MS can upgrade the OS but leave the NVidia driver in place without breaking anything.
This is not quite accurate but gives you a rough idea of the issue. It means google can supply the kernel for all phones and it can be upgraded via the Play store. As Android is a layer on top of the OS, later versions of the OS require later versions of the kernel.
So currently if you have a V11 phone you can't upgrade to Android V12 because the manufacturer hasn't released an updated Kernel.

This is roughly the situation. It is more technical than this, but over the next few releases of Android Google will pull more of the core stuff into the OS so it can be upgraded without waiting for the phone manufacturer to do the work.
This is good because phone manufacturers want you to buy a new phone every 18-24 months so stop supporting old hardware pretty quickly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Basically. The current android OS is based on Linux, but it is a version of linux that is branched and modified by Google, Then branched and modified by the chip manufacturers, which is then branched and modified by each phone model manufacturer.

What google is saying is that this branching will stop. There will be a primary kernel that will be supplied by google and updated via the play store.
This primary kernel will have "hooks" that chip and phone manufacturers can link into to provide the custom functionality. These hooks will be stable.
Think of this like drivers in your windows system. Where you have a different driver for NVidia and AMD graphics card but the core windows kernel stays the same. This means MS can upgrade the OS but leave the NVidia driver in place without breaking anything.
This is not quite accurate but gives you a rough idea of the issue. It means google can supply the kernel for all phones and it can be upgraded via the Play store. As Android is a layer on top of the OS, later versions of the OS require later versions of the kernel.
So currently if you have a V11 phone you can't upgrade to Android V12 because the manufacturer hasn't released an updated Kernel.

This is roughly the situation. It is more technical than this, but over the next few releases of Android Google will pull more of the core stuff into the OS so it can be upgraded without waiting for the phone manufacturer to do the work.
This is good because phone manufacturers want you to buy a new phone every 18-24 months so stop supporting old hardware pretty quickly.
It's a bit like the EU making it a requirement to have standard chargers increase the life of things and just replace the bits you need to in order to avoid waste and pollution. I've not looked at the EU stuff in detail they ought to make it illegal to supply a charger and headphones in the phone box then you'll only buy them if you need to

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I spend £150 on each phone and they last me 5-8 years :p
Just like me!!! Very expensive phones are not for me. I'm not good at finding AND using all their functions so why spend money on things I won't use (Which is not your case Karl!;)) The only reason I buy new ones is their growing memory. I'm now on a HTC U11 which is not bad but certainly not the best thing ever,but I have 128Gb memory and that's just fine for me!

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just like me!!! Very expensive phones are not for me. I'm not good at finding AND using all their functions so why spend money on things I won't use (Which is not your case Karl!;)) The only reason I buy new ones is their growing memory. I'm now on a HTC U11 which is not bad but certainly not the best thing ever,but I have 128Gb memory and that's just fine for me!
You would be surprised. I don't use a fraction of the phones functions. Basically email and banking is all it gets used for.

I have skype, whatsapp and email clients installed so that it makes a noise and lets me know when a message has arrived whether my computer is on or not.

Other than that I use the HSBC app to transfer my wages to my revolut app.

that is literally it. I use it for nothing else.

I hate phones, mobile or otherwise and have trained most people not to phone me :)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I hear they're kicking off about the standard leads presumably as they want to keep the market cornered to sell theirs. It will be interesting to see what happens.
To be honest people do not buy a phone dependent on the power lead and it certainly won’t corner a market based on the lead

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back