Great deal for data and calls for roaming in Europe (1 Viewer)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I've just upgraded my Vodafone phone tariff to include 60GB of data per month. Still have unlimited minutes and texts. Cost is £52 per month. ( was £34 with 16 GB)
So for an extra £18 per month, an extra 44GB!
That makes it much better value than combining it with a 3 sim in a mifi. ( capped at 12GB in Europe anyway)

And yes, I have it all in writing from customer services that the entire allowance is useable all over Europe, unlimited, no time limits, no throttling etc and for the entire duration of my contract, which runs till June 2019. Unlimited on tethering too. Up to 8 devices, includes my android box so plenty for streaming UK tv and radio all over Europe. Mine is with a Sony phone, and a 24 month contract. I've been over since September and all working well with good coverage in France, Portugal and Spain so far!

Worth looking at if you're long term abroad and are a heavy data user/streamer. I believe you can get it for £48 with a phone as a new customer. ( see link below) Also includes a free subscription to Now TV ( or sky sports, or Spotify) for the same time, and even though it says only in the uk, whilst it doesn't play on my phone, it does on the iPad when tethered to it! Currently in France and all working lovely!
A no brainier if your ft or long term in Europe.

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/pricePlans/plansHome.jsp?&planContractType=monthly

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Vodafone is presently the only provider not to put a data cap on European usage and there are some great deals about such as a 50GB MiFi SIM Card for £25/mth on a 30-day rolling contract.

This is a great deal and I'm aware that you @BreweryDave have got a text message from Vodafone confirming that the 60 day limit does not apply. I would urge others to obtain the same in writing via Live Chat, Twitter or Vodafone Support so at least you have come back if the Fair Usage policy is enforced as written.

I'm aware first hand of a number of Vodafone customers who despite having been told similar have been cut off in line with their 'fair usage policy' and also who have incurred additional charges since the SIM was inserted into a MiFi and they didn't check/read their messages and this caused them real difficulties.

I'm not in any way undermining your deal, but I would simply advise anyone heading out into Europe for longer than 60 days to get it in writing for themselves that the Fair Usage Policy of 2 months does not apply to them so at least they have some comeback on additional charges / blocked usage if they are caught out.

"We’ll send you a text requesting you moderate your usage in our Roam-free destinations if you use them for a total of 2 months or more during any 4-month period. If your usage in any of our Roam-free destinations continues to exceed this allowance after a 2-week period from which you first received this text, we may charge you for further use or bar your roaming services."

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Did you get a new phone for that tariff too?
Yup! Use that as the hotspot, if you put a phone sim into a mifi or dongle you'll get all sorts of problems as Addie stated above.
And agreed, get it all in writing.. I've been very clear to them what I am doing, and told them we're away most of the year in the MH. So if they ever did cut me off, they'd be in breach, and I'd cancel the direct debit! Been 4 months so far and they send a text every so often saying enjoy our free roaming!!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yup! Use that as the hotspot, if you put a phone sim into a mifi or dongle you'll get all sorts of problems as Addie stated above.
And agreed, get it all in writing.. I've been very clear to them what I am doing, and told them we're away most of the year in the MH. So if they ever did cut me off, they'd be in breach, and I'd cancel the direct debit! Been 4 months so far and they send a text every so often saying enjoy our free roaming!!!
Unfortunately they can change the rules though so no breach ...

Vodafone Global Roaming
These are the terms and conditions of Vodafone Global Roaming which covers the use of your phone in our 50 Roam-free destinations (Roam-free) and our 60 Roam-further destinations (Roam-further).

The use of Vodafone Global Roaming is subject to these terms and those of our Pay Monthly airtime agreement and charges guide (from 15 June 2017) [PDF: 1MB]. We reserve the right to vary or amend these terms, but we’ll notify you if any changes are to your disadvantage. Visit our Global Roaming page for more details.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We’ve just swapped one of our phones to Vodafone for this very reason. Shall be testing on this trip if we can stream tv and films

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I changed my phone sim from Three to Vodafone a couple of months ago.
Went to Currys/Carphone Warehouse and got a brilliant discounted deal.
Used it a lot coming home across France and was amazed at the difference after using Three in the phone and with a mi-fi.
Coverage was excellent with 4G just about everywhere. (Never, ever got 4G via the Three sim in the mi-fi) Was able to tether, so could use laptop/iPad easily and it seemed to use much less data than our Three sim in the mi-fi used to.
I don't usually watch videos or stream TV because of the large amount of data used but I did watch a one hour BBC programme and watched a few YouTube vids and it hardly dented my 15GB allowance.

Vodafone definitely seem the way to go now. I have been super impressed.

Richard.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Just watching Netflix on tv via Vodafone
Can’t do that with Three

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Just watching Netflix on tv via Vodafone
Can’t do that with Three

Sorry I don't want to pinch the thread. I just wondered what (if any) VPN you are using as I thought that Netflix could "See" a VPN and stop you....Guess That I am wrong :) May well try it but would need to buy VPN and would prefer to have a recommendation.

Thanks for any help.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Sorry I don't want to pinch the thread. I just wondered what (if any) VPN you are using as I thought that Netflix could "See" a VPN and stop you....Guess That I am wrong :) May well try it but would need to buy VPN and would prefer to have a recommendation.

Thanks for any help.
No VPN
Just watching on IPhone, plugged directly into TV with hdmi

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Ah! Should have asked, as I am in Europe would I need VPN, guess I would.

No VPN required when using Vodafone sim as @gus-lopez points out,I thought everyone does this while touring, however I would imagine the data allowance would get gobbled up if streaming LIVE TV?Movies,
I am a Vodafone customer on contract, for an extra £5 per month they offered me Netflix/Spotify or Sky....I turned this down because a couple of Hours a night watching movies would leave me short of Data....but I still can watch BBC/ITV/Chn4/Chn5 as and when I need too using my UK Phone as an hotspot....but not too often....I live in Spain, and have been a Vodafone UK client since last June...without any problems whatsoever.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back