Rally Great Cornish Food & Drink Festival 25-27 Sept 2015 (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Link Removed

I am arranging a 'small and friendly' meet to coincide with the Great Cornish Food Festival (Cornwall Food & Drink) festival in Turo from 25th to 27th Sept 2015

Link Removed

We will be staying at Carnon Downs Caravan Park, which is affiliated to the Caravan Club (also open to non CC members). Electric and non electric pitches are available, as are hard standing pitches.
http://www.carnon-downs-caravanpark.co.uk/index.html

Link Removed

Full details and reviews of the site can be found here;
Link Removed

Public transport located close by to take us in to Truro for the Festival

There are some great local pubs within walking distance of the site and also Link Removed owned by the National Trust

IMPORTANT; If you'd like to attend please add your names to the list below, then please book your pitches direct with the site, either online or by calling them.
Please mention Motorhome Fun, or my name when booking and the site owners will try and keep us all together
Link Removed

Link Removed

About the Great Cornish Food & Drink Festival
http://www.visitcornwall.com/whats-...food-festival-cornwall-food-drink#.VJ1irP8CIA

After ten storming years, the Cornwall Food & Drink Festival is getting a makeover. Following the tremendously popular style of their Great Cornish Food Book, it will now be known as the Great Cornish Food Festival and takes on the book’s gorgeous contemporary blue and white look.

The Great Cornish Food Festival is still in September, on Lemon Quay, and is still the biggest food festival in Cornwall. This year the festival is supported by First Great Western.

The full line-up and all the essential details will be published on the Great Cornish Food website from early July.

Link Removed

What is it all about?
Truro’s Lemon Quay will transform into foodie heaven for three days of eating, drinking, shopping and entertainment as the festival celebrates the food revolution that has taken place in Cornwall over the past 12 years. Demonstrating just why the county’s thriving food scene is loved by food connoisseurs from far and wide, this is one food event not to be missed.

Link Removed
What’s On This Year?
Street-food style pop-ups from a selection of Cornwall’s top restaurants and exciting newcomers will be serving a taster of their restaurant’s mouth-watering signature dishes. Cornwall’s array of artisan producers will deliver a bounty of the best food and beverages from around the county: bakers, butchers, breweries, cider makers, chocolatiers and cheese-makers will all be sampling and selling their wares. The perfect place to start your Christmas present shopping!

9200468-large.jpg

Meanwhile, top chefs will entertain, inspire and share their secrets in the Chefs’ Theatre and Croust Bar Masterclass Theatre. Playing host to the county’s highest profile chefs and foodie personalities, such as Michelin starred Nathan Outlaw, the exciting line-up illustrates the diversity of culinary expertise in the county and perfectly demonstrates just why Cornwall deserves its reputation as one of the greatest places to eat in the country, if not the world!

How can you take part?
The Festival is free to enter, so this is a weekend not to be missed for all those food fans who can’t get enough of the fantastic array of food and drink that heralds from Cornwall. Offering plenty of fun for all the family, the festival draws in thousands of visitors to Truro each September and has gone from strength to strength since it began in 2004, epitomising everything that people love about Cornwall and its produce

imagehandler.ashx

About the local area
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed

Link Removed

I'd like to offer my sincere thanks to Stef and Di who kindly offered to check out local camp sites for us - Thank you!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Great Cornish Food & Drink Festival 25-27 Sept 2015
Please book your pitches direct with the site - Link Removed

1. Robert & Lis Clark (2)
2. Sandra & Neil (Non Funsters) (2)
3. Stef & Di (2)
4. Peterc10. Peter & Angela (2)
5. Hollyberry (1)
6. Duxdeluxe - David & Dawn (2)
7. Drive - Clive & Janice (2)
8. Rekerly - Rex & Cherry (2)
9. Pat1951 - Pat & Trish (2)
10 Wildge - Judy & Bill (2)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Please add us

Peter & Angela
You're on the list Peter, please book your pitch asap as I just booked mine and there are not many hard standings left as the Food Festival attracts lots of visitors to the town

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Now for the bad news Robert.

You've got us as next door neighbours.

Stef and Di.
No need to worry - we've got decent locks on the doors, especially the ones where we keep the 'drinkies'

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

1. Robert and Lis Clark (2)
2. Sandra and Neil (Non Funsters) (2)
3. Stef and Di (2)
4. Peterc10. Peter and Angela (2)
5. Hollyberry (1)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

3. Stef and Di (2)
5. Hollyberry (1)

Pat and Trish

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
3 years
This sounds good fun so please add us to your list.
We have booked and paid deposit with the campsite.
Thanks Pat & Trish

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

3. Stef & Di (2)
5. Hollyberry (1)

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
-

3. Stef and Di (2)
5. Hollyberry (1)
10 Wildge- Judy & Bill (2)

Hi Robert......We hope you don't mind we have changed Wildge to TWO........................ thanks Jude

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Are there any places left please?
Hi Jim
Places are only limited by the availability of pitches at the campsite
If you can book the site you're welcome to come along
Let me know how you get on
Regards
Robert

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thanks Robert ,
I will check dates and let you know if we can get on the site.
Jim and Julie
Hi Jim and Julie
Hope you can get a space, would be good to have you along.
Regards
Robert

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
@Robert Clark ,

Hi I have just booked us in for the Cornish foodie thing and got a hard standing pitch Carnon Downs arriving Tuesday 22nd September departing 28th, we will hopefully be down touring around Cornwall a week or so before this festival after which we will be heading slowly home to West Yorkshire stopping at different places no doubt to take the strain out of the journey can you add our names to the list of funsters Whoa = Phil & Julie just the two of us

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Great Cornish Food & Drink Festival Link Removed

3. Stef & Di (2)
5. Hollyberry (1)
11 Whoa - Phil & Julie (2)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Guys
Very much looking forward to meeting you all at the Great Cornish Food & Drink Festival Link Removed

Have just ordered a Funseter Flag from Jims shop
If anyone has got a flag pole that they would like to bring, please let me know ASAP, otherwise I'll buy one off Ebay

Link Removed

Towards the end of the month or in early August, I will be posting updated event information as I get it.

@StefAndDi has very kindly volunteered to produce an information pack that you may find helpful when visiting the local area and will post details when complete.

I am planning an informal get together for the evening of Friday 25th. Any 'Foodies' amongst you will be interested to learn that Stef is hoping to source what are widely considered the finest Cornish Pasties in the world - I kid you not!
There may also be the option to order some local Cornish Ale to help wash down the said pasties - more info to follow!

As this is a low key - 'small and friendly' meet I wanted to give everyone the opportunity to simply chill out, enjoy the food and beer at the festival and maybe share a Pasty and Beer with new friends. However, if however anyone has any suggestions that they'd like to make for activities, please feel free to do you.

Regards
Robert

3. Stef & Di (2)
5. Duxdeluxe - David & Dawn (2)
6. Drive - Clive & Janice (2)
7. Rekerly - Rex & Cherry (2)
8. Pat1951 - Pat & Trish (2)
9. Wildge - Judy & Bill (2)
10. Whoa - Phil & Julie (2)

Pat and Trish

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
3 years
Unfortunately we will be unable to make this one after all.
Hope you all have a great time
Pat

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

3. Stef & Di (2)
5. Duxdeluxe - David & Dawn (2)
6. Drive - Clive & Janice (2)
7. Rekerly - Rex & Cherry (2)
8. Wildge - Judy & Bill (2)
9. Whoa - Phil & Julie (2)

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
I hope that some of this information may be useful to those attending the rally at Carnon Downs. I'm posting on behalf of @Robert Clark, who is on holiday.

Getting There.
Our rally is being held at the Carnon Downs CC (affiliated) site between Truro and Falmouth (SatNav TR3 6JJ). Due to long-term roadworks on all the alternative routes I recommend approach by the A30 from Exeter rather than the A38 via Plymouth (Tamar Bridge). Shortly before Redruth, at Chiverton Cross roundabout, take the first exit onto the A390 (signposted Truro). Follow the road for approx 4 miles, (noting the Truro West park and ride on the left) and at a roundabout turn right onto the A39 (signposted Falmouth). In about 2 miles, at the second roundabout, take the first exit and the site entrance is immediately on the left.

Welcome Get-Together.
As Robert mentioned earlier, we plan a pasty and pint welcome gathering on the Friday evening. I will post nearer the time and invite orders but be warned, the purpose of the Food Festival is to celebrate Cornish food and drink so everything offered will be traditional. No pasties with carrot in and only beers brewed and bottled in the Duchy.

Transport Links.
Public transport in the area is very good. There is a bus stop outside the site entrance with regular services to Truro and Falmouth. The Truro West park and ride, mentioned earlier, has designated spaces for motorhomes and buses drop off at various points in the city, some only a minute walk from Lemon Quay where the Food Festival is taking place. Note that the park and ride does not operate on Sunday's. At the time of writing the new Truro East park and ride is under construction and may not be available.
In my opinion, the most interesting way of travelling in the area is on the Fal River Links. Several ferry operators have combined to create a web of ferry services around the Truro, Falmouth and St. Mawes area, where you can hop on and off at various jettys. One such jetty is about 50 yards from Lemon Quay. Another is one of several in Falmouth and is located near the National Maritime Museum. Another jetty is at Trelissick, the NT property about 5 minutes drive from the caravan site, and suitable parking is available for motorhomes.
There is a comprehensive network of cycle-ways in the area including one trail which links Devoran on the Falmouth estuary to the North Cornwall coast at Portreath.

Food and Drink.
The nearest opportunity to have a meal is just 100 yards from the caravan site, a Premier Inn with a Table Table restaurant attached.
For those wanting something more traditional, the Puchbowl and Ladel is a mile away, or a short walk across a couple of fields. About 2 miles drive away is the wonderful Pandora Inn at Restronguet Creek. Parking is severely restricted but the pub has a large jetty and the Fal River Link boats stop there (seasonal). Both of these pubs are picture postcard beautiful, with thatched roofs, low beams and flagstone floors and they both enjoy a good reputation for quality traditional pub fayre. Finally, Rick Stein has a fish restaurant and take away in Falmouth, just 50 yards from the Maritime Museum. Best Haddock and Chips in Cornwall in my opinion!

Shopping and Fuel.
Truro has a Tesco, a Sainsbury's and an Aldi. All of them have car parks which can only accommodate small vehicles. Tesco has an Extra store at Pool TR15 3QJ with a very large car park where larger vehicles can be left safely and there is an Asda at Falmouth
TR10 9LY which also has a large car park. Asda has a filling station but the Tesco does not.
The Shell filling station at Playing Place is the closest fuel to the caravan site, less than a mile away.

Places To Visit.
As mentioned, Trelissick is just a 5 minute drive from the site. It's a 300 acre estate with beautiful gardens and woodland and riverside walks. Adjacent is the King Harry Ferry (vehicles and pedestrians) which gives access to the Roseland Peninsula.
Both The Eden Project and The Lost Gardens of Heligan are about an hours drive away in the St. Austell area. Both attractions offer good parking suitable for motorhomes and if time is limited both venues can be visited in the same day.
Also about a hours drive away is NT St. Michaels Mount, which also offers good parking. Access to the island is by boat at high tide and by foot across the causeway when tides permit.
Finally, no visit to Cornwall would be complete without a visit to St. Ives. Why not combine it with your trip to St. Michaels Mount? Here's a good tip for you. The roads around St. Ives are often grid-locked, the car parking is expensive and then there's steep hills to trudge up and down. Just West of Hayle is Lelant Saltings station, clearly signposted with Brown tourist boards. Park in the rustic car park (charges apply) and take the train as it clings to the cliff tops with stunning views of the beautiful beaches around St. Ives Bay. The line ends in the centre of the town, so no hills to worry about. And best of all, it's not expensive. When I did the trip last month it cost me about £1.50 for a return ticket using a Senior Railcard.

Miscellaneous.
I shall be on site at Carnon Downs from 24th September and will be happy to give any additional help or advice that may be needed. I will have with me a selection of walking books, bus and ferry timetables and Sustrans cycle route information. And pasties and beer!
If I can be of any help in the meantime, don't hesitate to message me.

Finally, if you're not yet booked on our rally but think it all sounds like good Fun, come and join us. Just follow Roberts link to the site and book yourself on.

Stef.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back