Rally Great Cornish Food & Drink Festival 25-27 Sept 2015 (1 Viewer)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Many thanks. We are looking forward to this one and Mrs Deluxe (Dawn) has friends in the area as well. So much so that we booked Monday night at the campsite as well. Hope to get there after lunch Friday as we will be stopping overnight en route.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I hope that some of this information may be useful to those attending the rally at Carnon Downs. I'm posting on behalf of @Robert Clark, who is on holiday.

Getting There.
Our rally is being held at the Carnon Downs CC (affiliated) site between Truro and Falmouth (SatNav TR3 6JJ). Due to long-term roadworks on all the alternative routes I recommend approach by the A30 from Exeter rather than the A38 via Plymouth (Tamar Bridge). Shortly before Redruth, at Chiverton Cross roundabout, take the first exit onto the A390 (signposted Truro). Follow the road for approx 4 miles, (noting the Truro West park and ride on the left) and at a roundabout turn right onto the A39 (signposted Falmouth). In about 2 miles, at the second roundabout, take the first exit and the site entrance is immediately on the left.

Welcome Get-Together.
As Robert mentioned earlier, we plan a pasty and pint welcome gathering on the Friday evening. I will post nearer the time and invite orders but be warned, the purpose of the Food Festival is to celebrate Cornish food and drink so everything offered will be traditional. No pasties with carrot in and only beers brewed and bottled in the Duchy.

Transport Links.
Public transport in the area is very good. There is a bus stop outside the site entrance with regular services to Truro and Falmouth. The Truro West park and ride, mentioned earlier, has designated spaces for motorhomes and buses drop off at various points in the city, some only a minute walk from Lemon Quay where the Food Festival is taking place. Note that the park and ride does not operate on Sunday's. At the time of writing the new Truro East park and ride is under construction and may not be available.
In my opinion, the most interesting way of travelling in the area is on the Fal River Links. Several ferry operators have combined to create a web of ferry services around the Truro, Falmouth and St. Mawes area, where you can hop on and off at various jettys. One such jetty is about 50 yards from Lemon Quay. Another is one of several in Falmouth and is located near the National Maritime Museum. Another jetty is at Trelissick, the NT property about 5 minutes drive from the caravan site, and suitable parking is available for motorhomes.
There is a comprehensive network of cycle-ways in the area including one trail which links Devoran on the Falmouth estuary to the North Cornwall coast at Portreath.

Food and Drink.
The nearest opportunity to have a meal is just 100 yards from the caravan site, a Premier Inn with a Table Table restaurant attached.
For those wanting something more traditional, the Puchbowl and Ladel is a mile away, or a short walk across a couple of fields. About 2 miles drive away is the wonderful Pandora Inn at Restronguet Creek. Parking is severely restricted but the pub has a large jetty and the Fal River Link boats stop there (seasonal). Both of these pubs are picture postcard beautiful, with thatched roofs, low beams and flagstone floors and they both enjoy a good reputation for quality traditional pub fayre. Finally, Rick Stein has a fish restaurant and take away in Falmouth, just 50 yards from the Maritime Museum. Best Haddock and Chips in Cornwall in my opinion!

Shopping and Fuel.
Truro has a Tesco, a Sainsbury's and an Aldi. All of them have car parks which can only accommodate small vehicles. Tesco has an Extra store at Pool TR15 3QJ with a very large car park where larger vehicles can be left safely and there is an Asda at Falmouth
TR10 9LY which also has a large car park. Asda has a filling station but the Tesco does not.
The Shell filling station at Playing Place is the closest fuel to the caravan site, less than a mile away.

Places To Visit.
As mentioned, Trelissick is just a 5 minute drive from the site. It's a 300 acre estate with beautiful gardens and woodland and riverside walks. Adjacent is the King Harry Ferry (vehicles and pedestrians) which gives access to the Roseland Peninsula.
Both The Eden Project and The Lost Gardens of Heligan are about an hours drive away in the St. Austell area. Both attractions offer good parking suitable for motorhomes and if time is limited both venues can be visited in the same day.
Also about a hours drive away is NT St. Michaels Mount, which also offers good parking. Access to the island is by boat at high tide and by foot across the causeway when tides permit.
Finally, no visit to Cornwall would be complete without a visit to St. Ives. Why not combine it with your trip to St. Michaels Mount? Here's a good tip for you. The roads around St. Ives are often grid-locked, the car parking is expensive and then there's steep hills to trudge up and down. Just West of Hayle is Lelant Saltings station, clearly signposted with Brown tourist boards. Park in the rustic car park (charges apply) and take the train as it clings to the cliff tops with stunning views of the beautiful beaches around St. Ives Bay. The line ends in the centre of the town, so no hills to worry about. And best of all, it's not expensive. When I did the trip last month it cost me about £1.50 for a return ticket using a Senior Railcard.

Miscellaneous.
I shall be on site at Carnon Downs from 24th September and will be happy to give any additional help or advice that may be needed. I will have with me a selection of walking books, bus and ferry timetables and Sustrans cycle route information. And pasties and beer!
If I can be of any help in the meantime, don't hesitate to message me.

Finally, if you're not yet booked on our rally but think it all sounds like good Fun, come and join us. Just follow Roberts link to the site and book yourself on.

Stef.
Thanks @StefAndDi for this info, which I'm sure people will find invaluable.
Lis and I are very much looking forward to meeting everyone at the welcome get-together and sharing a tipple and a (carrot free) pasty!
I'm sure that there will be plenty to keep everyone entertained and that everyone will find something special in what I can only describe as an enchanting county.
Regards
Robert & Lis

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks @StefAndDi for this info, which I'm sure people will find invaluable.
Lis and I are very much looking forward to meeting everyone at the welcome get-together and sharing a tipple and a (carrot free) pasty!
I'm sure that there will be plenty to keep everyone entertained and that everyone will find something special in what I can only describe as an enchanting county.
Regards
Robert & Lis

If the pasties don't have carrots in them, then we aren't coming, 'cos they don't taste right without carrots....... (Grabs coat and runs......) ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If the pasties don't have carrots in them, then we aren't coming, 'cos they don't taste right without carrots....... (Grabs coat and runs......) ;)
If I'd realised all it would take was a simple piece of root vegetable .....

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Unfortunately I've had to cancel. The campsite has agreed I can give my booking to someone on here if they'd like it. It'd mean you would get about £25 off if I remember correctly. PM me if interested.

Peetee

Free Member
Jul 11, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Hi - we have just taken Hollyberrys reservation (thanks Hollyberry) for the Cornish food and drink festival - looking forward to meeting you all in our first rally in our new van - assuming all goes to plan! Kind regards Peta and Trevor

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Great Cornish Food & Drink Festival Link Removed
Please book your pitches direct with the site - Link Removed

1. Robert & Lis Clark (2)
2. Sandra & Neil (Non Funsters) (2)
3. Stef & Di (2)
4. Peterc10. Peter & Angela (2)
5. Duxdeluxe - David & Dawn (2)
6. Drive - Clive & Janice (2)
7. Rekerly - Rex & Cherry (2)
8. Wildge - Judy & Bill (2)
9. Whoa - Phil & Julie (2)
10. Peetee - Peta & Trevor (2)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi - we have just taken Hollyberrys reservation (thanks Hollyberry) for the Cornish food and drink festival - looking forward to meeting you all in our first rally in our new van - assuming all goes to plan! Kind regards Peta and Trevor
Hi Peta and Trevor
Hope all goes to plan, (whatever than entails)
Looking forward to seeing you in Cornwall
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask
Regards
Robert

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
[QUOTE="StefAndDi, post: 1490709, member: 34107

Getting There.
Our rally is being held at the Carnon Downs CC (affiliated) site between Truro and Falmouth (SatNav TR3 6JJ). Due to long-term roadworks on all the alternative routes I recommend approach by the A30 from Exeter rather than the A38 via Plymouth (Tamar Bridge).[/QUOTE]

A quick update. Work has now started on 'dualling' the short stretch of the A30 at Temple, between Launceston and Bodmin. This section is notorious, particularly at weekends, with lengthy hold-ups both Eastbound and Westbound. However, the construction work does not seem to be making the situation any worse at the moment.

As far as the obvious alternative route (Plymouth-Liskeard-St. Austell-Truro) is concerned. The major roadworks at Carkeel, just the Cornwall side of the Tamar Bridge, are pretty much complete and the lane closures have been lifted. The remaining problem on this route is just to the East of Truro where major alterations to the road layout in the vicinity of the (under construction) Truro East Park and Ride, have been causing mayor delays.

So, you pays your money and you take a chance. As most of those attending will probably arrive on a weekday, my advice at this time is still to use the A30 from Exeter.

Stef.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
Exp
2010 to 2016
@Robert Clark @REKERLY @Wildge
@peterc10 @whoa @Peetee
@DuxDeluxe @Drive

A quick note about our Pint and Pasty welcome evening. I know it's a little early but I want to take advantage of offers that are currently available so it would be helpful if those attending can place any orders now.

The pasties are available as steak or vegetable and Mary is offering them to us at £3.10 instead of the usual £3.25. Believe me, these are really top class.

We have selected a variety of bottled beers, all from St. Austell Brewery. These are all brewed and bottled in Cornwall which cannot be said of some 'Cornish' products. All bottles are 500ml.
1. Tribute. Cornish Pale Ale. 4.2%. £1.99 or £6 for 4.
2. Proper Job. India Pale Ale. 5.5%. £1.99 or £6 for 4.
3. Korev. Cornish Lager. 4.8%. £1.79 or £6 for 4.
4. H.S.D. Strong Pale Ale. 5%. £1.99 or £6 for 4.
5. Admirals Ale. Extra Special Bitter. 5%. £1.99 or £6 for 4.
6. Cornish Rattler. Cornish Cloudy Cider. 6%. £2 or £5 for 3.

Of course, if you prefer to bring your own preferred tipple please feel free to do so, but as this get-together has been designed as a celebration of Cornish produce, hopefully everybody will want to start off with authentic food and drink.

If you can please message me with your requirements over the next few days that will enable me to purchase at the best possible prices. And don't worry about payment at the moment; I won't ask for any money until the end of August.

Stef.

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Hi Stef ....afraid there is every chance we will not make this due to ill health..
so will cancel now rather than leave it too late :(
(y) If anyone wishes to take up the booking please pm. me and I will contact the campsite as per Hollyberry's previous message.
Jude

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
Exp
2010 to 2016
Stef

Thanks for that. How big are they please? Trying to decide whether to have one or two!

I always have these medium ones. I have a good appetite and for me they're enough. Mary tells me that she also does large and giant - heaven only knows how big they are. Maybe ordering 2 is a sound idea. Believe me, they won't go to waste.
Stef.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I always have these medium ones. I have a good appetite and for me they're enough. Mary tells me that she also does large and giant - heaven only knows how big they are. Maybe ordering 2 is a sound idea. Believe me, they won't go to waste.
Stef.
OK thanks. We will have 1 steak and 2 vegetable please. And we (or rather I!) will have 4 bottles of the India Pale Ale please.

Peetee

Free Member
Jul 11, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Hi Stef, could I order.
4 Steak pasties
8 korevs
3 Cornish Rattler
Let me know when you require payment.

Many Thanks
Peta

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
@StefAndDi Hi Stef on your advice we will stick to the medium pasties please

2x steak
1x veg

4 x tribute Cornish pale ale
2 x rattler Cornish cloudy cider

Don't know what the cider will do to my head, perhaps my whiskey will be the antidote, he hopes, as above let us know payment details.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
@StefAndDi Hi Stef on your advice we will stick to the medium pasties please

2x steak
1x veg

4 x tribute Cornish pale ale
2 x rattler Cornish cloudy cider

Don't know what the cider will do to my head, perhaps my whiskey will be the antidote, he hopes, as above let us know payment details.
The Cider is a real treat - you're going to love it!

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Great Cornish Food & Drink Festival Link Removed
Please book your pitches direct with the site - Link Removed

1. Robert & Lis Clark (2)
2. Sandra & Neil (Non Funsters) (2)
3. Stef & Di (2)
4. Peterc10. Peter & Angela (2)
5. Duxdeluxe - David & Dawn (2)
6. Drive - Clive & Janice (2)
7. Rekerly - Rex & Cherry (2)
8. Whoa - Phil & Julie (2)
9. Peetee - Peta & Trevor (2)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Are you bringing your ASBO too?
I can rustle up a few unwashed kids and a couple of skiploads of rubbish if you want. I do cheap rates if any pitches need the hard standing tarmacing........

The dog is called Jake, not ASBO but you are probably right - he is an idiot

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back