Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
We got the dealer to fit a couple of things when we bought our new (to us) van. One was a Gaslow filler point so I could transfer the pipes and cylinder from the previous one. Looked like a neat job on the face of it, until .....

I decided to get the first refill after we left the Latitude festival yesterday (Glasto for the aggressively middle class) and removed the filler cap for the first time to discover that I couldn't get the Autogas nozzle onto the bayonet fitting.

Imagine my delight to discover that the housing was attached to the filler with six long screws instead of six short bolts (which I imagine came supplied). The photo says it all. :cry:

9353219188_578c50a537_s.jpg

Ok, maybe I should have taken the filler cap off to make sure that they hadn't done something insane - but it didn't occur to me that a big and presumably reputable operation would be quite so daft.

I will contact aftersales when we get home to offer some thoughts on the matter.

Good job we carry a propane backup.

Daveg

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Bloody hell that is crap.

The filler comes with 3 sets of different size screws and part of the instructions SPECIFICALLY mentions this problem in some detail.

:Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh:

See page 2, the bit in red.

Link Removed

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I fitted one of these systems recently and thought it seemed a pretty poor design as regards fitting to the vehicle, there is virtually no flange around the filler housing, I would rather see a larger flange that screwed in from the front much like water or mains inlets rather than rely on clamping the two parts together with self tappers from the inside with little chance of making a good seal .

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
but it didn't occur to me that a big and presumably reputable operation would be quite so daft.

Daveg

Same applies to some dealers, even well known ones, even closer to home...

A young industry full of cowboys.the worry is that they dont always have to be qualified. One day Brain Surgeon/Plasterer/Binman/Handyman/Solicitor the next , Motorhome installer, repair person, with a reputation based on the Gullible and HUGE MARKUPS

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
30 quid on ebay cures that simple easy and does what it says on the label .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back