LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
NOW you're in my "been there done that" territory!!! ;)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Oh you'll love Monument Valley. If you find Moqui Dugway be careful; & Valley of the Gods is probably best avoided in a m/h (very much like Monument Valley but on a smaller, less 'magnificent' scale but equally impressive).
I'm so, so envious, I just adore that area, I hope you love it as much as I did - it's years since I was there but it lives with me every day.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Monument valley next stop and then back round to North Rim of GC

Loved Grand Canyon , on our last trip we should have booked the North Rim campsite but they let us on anyway.
Monument is another sight for sore eyes

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I am hoping to get the drone out in Monument Valley and at North rim. Just arrived at M Valley. Great view from the window. Will try and post a photo if it lets me. Internet very poor even with iBoost

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Another question for you. As you are using what for the US is a smaller motorhome, does that mean that you haven't missed having a car for getting from campgrounds to various places? If all things were possible would having a car with you too make your road trip even better?

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Not having a car hasn't really been a problem. Wasn't able to park at an attraction maybe once so far. Parking lots are always big even in town. We have used Uber and Lyft from campgrounds on occasion e.g St Louis - it was an $6 cab ride.
When we get to Yosemite it is unlikely we will get a place in the park as they are booked a year in advance so I might hire a car for two or three days if I think it necessary.
Many RVs here tow cars - what a faff! Chatted to one guy at the Oklahoma Memorial who was towing a mini and he said he was regretting bringing it because nowadays an Uber is just so easy.
So, in short, five weeks in - hasn't really been a problem

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
It's what Rosie thought, I wasn't sure that not having transport immediately to hand was a good or a bad thing re getting around. We use as much public transport as we can with or without a camper as you can meet some very nice folk that way, but having a car would stop us using buses and trams. Also I guess that Uber has made a massive difference too, never used it but will have to learn how to.

If you are near a big city you appear to park/camp outside of the suburbs, is that because there are no in city campgrounds or that you prefer to be away from the city center?

Thanks again, it's a big help

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Just prefer to be away from the city centre (less noisy) and cheaper! As I say, mostly you can drive in to see stuff or Uber. Just download the app and add a credit card. Actually I prefer Lyft so suggest you download both and get a US Pay as you go phone and register with that number makes it easy to contact a driver.

We are mostly doing one night stops and sightseeing during the day. Look at the blog for Oklahoma or Springfield - we just drove in to the centre and parked. They are expecting RVs at places like Oklahoma,a Memorial and Lincoln museum.

Roads are wide, easy U turns if you need to. It's not hard

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
You can get to most places of interest and into many cities to park even with a modest RV and Walmart welcomes RVs for shopping.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Just prefer to be away from the city centre (less noisy) and cheaper! As I say, mostly you can drive in to see stuff or Uber. Just download the app and add a credit card. Actually I prefer Lyft so suggest you download both and get a US Pay as you go phone and register with that number makes it easy to contact a driver.

We are mostly doing one night stops and sightseeing during the day. Look at the blog for Oklahoma or Springfield - we just drove in to the centre and parked. They are expecting RVs at places like Oklahoma,a Memorial and Lincoln museum.

Roads are wide, easy U turns if you need to. It's not hard

We visited the Cowboy Museum in Oklahoma City , well worth a visit.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
We're Londoners and do enjoy staying a couple or three days in or very near a big city although much prefer to 'live' in semi rural Essex and France Profonde. Haven't ever considered RVing when in the US so never taken notice of whether there were RV campgrounds within cities.

I made the comment about staying outside of a city as I saw where you parked for Washington and OKC and just wondered if it were possible to park right in the city say like you can in Paris in the western suburbs.

Leave you in peace for a while, off to Le Mans this evening

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
:clap2:CONGRATULATIONS :hi5:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Just been back to your blog and linked photos, so many great memories for you, bringing back so many great and happy memories for me...
Thank you so much Chris for sharing your fantastic trip :)

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Just been back to your blog and linked photos, so many great memories for you, bringing back so many great and happy memories for me...
Thank you so much Chris for sharing your fantastic trip :)

I am very much using the blog as a diary I can look back on hopefully for many years after I can no longer make these kind of trips. Glad you are enjoying it and helps spur me on to keep up with it.

Reactions: CWH
D

DL42846

Deleted User
Just a thought. Will you have any problems with emissions control with your MH on entry into the US. The only reason I say this is on a Land Rover site I belong too some folk have had problems taking there Land Rovers into the US. Mind you now Trump has declared Climate change is a hoax it might not apply any more. I would imagine if your MH is a newish model you are probably OK

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Congratulations a fabulous trip and safe travels on the next leg (y)

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Just a thought. Will you have any problems with emissions control with your MH on entry into the US. The only reason I say this is on a Land Rover site I belong too some folk have had problems taking there Land Rovers into the US. Mind you now Trump has declared Climate change is a hoax it might not apply any more. I would imagine if your MH is a newish model you are probably OK

There certainly have been no questions over emissions that I am aware of. My engine is Euro five as it happens which .I guess is okay here anyway.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
See that you are near San Luis Obispo (locals call it SLO). According to Oprah Winfrey it's the happiest town in America!

Good timing! Going to Sequoia National Park today and routing us through San Luis Obispo as I didn't know that - will see if I can see what makes them all so happy (wacky backyard?)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back