It's been brilliant, thank you so much for sharing your trip with us :D

May 21, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper
Exp
Since 1986
Have you thought about joining the Good Sam club, I join when I was motorhoming in the US there’s lots of advantages

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We did the same

Best other app is AllStays

Also take a membership of their equivalent of National Trust - covers parks etc etc. will save you a fortune in visitors fees

T mobile gave the best sim deal at the tine but that may have changed. Just walk in TU a T mobile shop. Be aware. Doesn’t work everywhere

Jul 17, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Hi Chris,
Just planning to do similar trip, using Seabridge from Liverpool. I can't get access to your site, is their a reason it doesn't work?
Andy
Some of the website is available on archive.org.

ceejayt, I hope you don’t mind me sharing, if you do let me know and I’ll remove.

Looks like an awesome trip.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Some of the website is available on archive.org.

ceejayt, I hope you don’t mind me sharing, if you do let me know and I’ll remove.

Looks like an awesome trip.
Not a problem to me. Glad it can still be seen

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Let me know what you think of it!
Bizarrely, currently on the Calais - Dover boat and that is my current reading book.

Recommended by me also. Reminds me a bit of Zen and the art of Motorcycle maintenance.

• Love It
Reactions: CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Bizarrely, currently on the Calais - Dover boat and that is my current reading book.

Recommended by me also. Reminds me a bit of Zen and the art of Motorcycle maintenance.
At the same time as I bought that, I also got Cadillac Desert by Marc Reisner (1986), a treatise on water mis-management throughout the history of the 'modern' (ie white invader) USA. Expect the usual politics/ greed/ corruption that accompanies any environmentalist narrative. I think it's been revised/ updated sometime in the 2000's.

Sep 4, 2022
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro 463
Have you thought about joining the Good Sam club, I join when I was motorhoming in the US there’s lots of advantages
Hi,
Yep I got the Good Sam club from this thread, I think. It's on my list of things to do. Thanks for the pointer though

Sep 4, 2022
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro 463
Took it down some time agai I am afraid. Very happy to help with any questions and share thoughts
Hi Chris, I will have questions, just not sure what they are yet. As I have family in York, would happily arrange to meet up, only the next county South of the Humber :)
Cousin IT (Andy)

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Chris, I will have questions, just not sure what they are yet. As I have family in York, would happily arrange to meet up, only the next county South of the Humber :)
Cousin IT (Andy)
No worries. If you want to come in the motorhome we have plenty of space for you to park up in the back garden.

Sep 4, 2022
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro 463
Wow, yes please. How do we communicate personnally, without you putting your address and me posting my phone number/email address on a public forum, any ideas?

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Wow, yes please. How do we communicate personnally, without you putting your address and me posting my phone number/email address on a public forum, any ideas?
Click on the person’s name then click start conversation, if you get a reply it will come up in the little letter symbol on thr top right of your page.
45ABAC8A-2D4C-4F49-94A5-F8C2CEABB0C3.jpeg

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
You need to subscribe to the forum (I think £20 a year, best value ever) then you can access Conversations and a whole lot more

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
In order to send a private message so I don't have to put my details on here you will need to pony up for a membership on the forum then I can PM you

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Expanding on the topic ....has anyone found a reasonable shipping cost from west coast US/ Canada to Oz /NZ or vice versa...? 6 + 6 month in both then transpac for a further 6+6 is a great way to spend two years. I think the importation of the MH is limited to 6 months in each of the four countries before tax becomes due....! I know Seabridge do a Europe to Oz/NZ but seems daft to return to Europe to take it up!

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I think Seabridge recommends doing South Africa then going in to Oz.

Practicalities of getting your own motorhome into NZ and Oz are daunting due to their quarantine restrictions. Vehicles have to be spotless and steam cleaned etc

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
We have been planning this for some time now as part of our retirement and it is finally coming together for next year. From February to September we will ship our motorhome to Baltimore and spend 8 months touring North America.
Once you start planning, you realise just what a big country this is and how vast some of the distances are and we have a lot to tick off on our bucket list. Anyway, the map below shows what we believe we can achieve in 34 weeks (and around 14,000 miles). I have a week by week plan including mileage distances and main sights to visit.

Starting October when I get back from my 500 mile walk for charity (just giving page here!!!), I will keep this thread and my blog updated with progress and information which I hope will be of interest to others who may plan to do something similar.
View attachment 119288
Nice taster of all the goodies the US has to offer. However you should consider storing the van (cheap outside CA) and going back to do the best bits (the vast chunk in the middle - Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas etc) and then you will see Yellowstone and some of the most fantastic National Parks in the world. We spent 6 years going over 3 or 4 times a year for 4 or 5 weeks and did 76,000 miles. We managed to see most of the best but I'm sure you will want more. Since you are passing right by the long skinny strip on Alaska that sticks down next to BC, take a side trip to Hyder (Alaska). You can get "Hyderised" there because it's duty free (you'll have to find out why), but the bears are amazing there. Have a wonderful trip.

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Expanding on the topic ....has anyone found a reasonable shipping cost from west coast US/ Canada to Oz /NZ or vice versa...? 6 + 6 month in both then transpac for a further 6+6 is a great way to spend two years. I think the importation of the MH is limited to 6 months in each of the four countries before tax becomes due....! I know Seabridge do a Europe to Oz/NZ but seems daft to return to Europe to take it up!
Look into ordinary commercial shipping via a US agent. We shipped this way when we shipped our US RV back to UK and it arrived on a RoRo in the middle of a shipload of green and yellow John Deere's. This white thing stood out like a sore thumb. Deere and others would ship to the Far East and OZ etc via a West coast port but as someone else said, the Australians are really picky about their import regs.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Nice taster of all the goodies the US has to offer. However you should consider storing the van (cheap outside CA) and going back to do the best bits (the vast chunk in the middle - Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas etc) and then you will see Yellowstone and some of the most fantastic National Parks in the world. We spent 6 years going over 3 or 4 times a year for 4 or 5 weeks and did 76,000 miles. We managed to see most of the best but I'm sure you will want more. Since you are passing right by the long skinny strip on Alaska that sticks down next to BC, take a side trip to Hyder (Alaska). You can get "Hyderised" there because it's duty free (you'll have to find out why), but the bears are amazing there. Have a wonderful trip.
Bit out of date wedid that trip in 2017 :LOL:

Plan on going back again in the future some time to do Alaska in particular

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
We're too old to do it all again but we would do it again at the drop of a hat if insurance etc wasn't now prohibitively expensive. Glad you saw Yosemite and Yellowstone. We were so in awe of Yellowstone we went 3 times and saw totally different things each time including the wolf pack coming back to their den after a night hunting and a bear turning up for toasted marshmallows!! Memories.

Jul 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E720
Exp
Since 2020 - caravanned for 30 years before that
We've just had an enjoyable read of this thread as we're discussing the idea of doing a USA RV trip, probably in 2025 at the earliest. At the moment we're trying to price up the options
1/ Hire an RV (looks expensive as you need all the add-on packs)
2/ Buy an RV there and sell when you finish (A friend did this but his brother loves in Canada and handled the sale)
3/ Ship our MH over

Is there anyone who has done this trip more recently and which option did they chose?

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We've just had an enjoyable read of this thread as we're discussing the idea of doing a USA RV trip, probably in 2025 at the earliest. At the moment we're trying to price up the options
1/ Hire an RV (looks expensive as you need all the add-on packs)
2/ Buy an RV there and sell when you finish (A friend did this but his brother loves in Canada and handled the sale)
3/ Ship our MH over

Is there anyone who has done this trip more recently and which option did they chose?
We did an RV trip from January 2019 and our plans were somewhat curtailed by Covid 19. We had planned to keep it for longer but it didn’t work out as planned, no regrets at all and the three months we had were fantastic.
As for us we did your option 2 and if I did it again we would do exactly the same again. You can purchase RVs quite cheaply when you’re in the USA, depending on you needs of course, but if you intend to spend along time it is by far the most cost effective way of doing it. In our case we recovered most of the cost when we we resold it. If you factor in some loss you won’t be disappointed. You can see our RV picture on my avatar at Mexican hat in Monument valley.
Phil

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
On our third and last RV break we rented a new RV at a special one way rate which included insurance bedding etc being one of many new RVs fresh from the factory to be relocated at the start of the season to hire depots across the US and Canada.
These were for Cruise America arranged through www.cruiseamerica.co.uk (The Motorhome Experts)
We picked up the 30ft RV in Chicago and took a month to deliver to Las Vegas via a fair bit of R66 Memphis etc.
Worth checking out as considerable saving on normal hire costs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back