Graveline Christmas market (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We are heading to Graveline at the start of a short trip in December.

We intend to use the Aire at Graveline and visit the Christmas Market there.

Can we ask anyone who has visited the market tell us how far from the Aire it is? My wife has some difficulties walking so if it is too far we need to make arrangements. Public transport, taxi etc.

Any advice welcomed.(y)

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
If the market is in the town square then it is only a few minutes walk.
I too have difficulty walking any distance but it is only a short walk which is why we like the Gravelines Aire .

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
definitely worth some research, we pulled in to Gravelines aire last year, didn't spot the town centre on the way in, (or out) the only restaurant in view is over the river and on a cold February day didn't look close enough to walk to

Knowing where the town centre is could sway my opinion of the aire, the best thing we found was free wifi :)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
W
definitely worth some research, we pulled in to Gravelines aire last year, didn't spot the town centre on the way in, (or out) the only restaurant in view is over the river and on a cold February day didn't look close enough to walk to

Knowing where the town centre is could sway my opinion of the aire, the best thing we found was free wifi :)(y)
200yds over the road from the aire

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just over the road , the Market starts as soon as you walk over the bridge and continues all over the town , radiating from the town square.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Bear in mind it's not an early market , don't think it starts till the twelfth of December , and @DavidG58 the restaurant over the river is well worth visiting it's called au cap compass if you would like to google it , it is a fair walk but not to strenuous and you can go round in the van if you want, it's got a large car park.
Edit it's closed Sunday and Monday in the winter but open all the week in the season.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@chaser
Thank you for the info.

I had been trying to find the dates for Gravelines Christmas market 2017. I have managed to find the date now and are correct. It starts on 12th December. The only problem is we be home by then!:eek:

So Arras now seems to be an ideal one to visit as it starts 24th November.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for info.(y)

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010

Definitely worth a look. As said the town is within a walled moat and the bridge right outside the aire is the entrace to it. Going onto the ramparts area gives good views, a garden area and usually expositions of various types. You were so close but it may not have been obvious.

Wyn

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
@chaser
Thank you for the info.

I had been trying to find the dates for Gravelines Christmas market 2017. I have managed to find the date now and are correct. It starts on 12th December. The only problem is we be home by then!:eek:

So Arras now seems to be an ideal one to visit as it starts 24th November.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for info.(y)
Don't know if you have already been but if not you will find arras aire nothing to write home about just a tarmac car park on a big slope and not very close to the market.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks Derek and Wyn and of course the towns tourist adviser chaser :):)

We will take another look, we turned up end of Feb, very cold blowing near storm force winds, the bridge to town didn't look obvious, but promise to try again, too many of you go on about it for it not to be worth trying again (y)(y)

this option didn't obviously go anywhere worth trying in the cold and wet and we picked a day when the restaurant must have been closed and too far in the weather o_O

upload_2017-11-13_9-29-20.png

and no more obvious from the other end

upload_2017-11-13_9-31-8.png

I have now had a better look at the map and presume you all enter via the top route as above?

apologies @maison for abusing your thread :( hope you get sorted as well (y):)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
The top one looks like the way you walk in and the bottom one looks like the way out from the aire, which if i have worked this out correctly you should turn right at this junction and the aire is a couple of hundred metres away. but its a lot easier to travel in the other way.
Town centre is a piece of proverbial wee wee to find from the aire.
Arras is a different animal in terms of aire. You will be very lucky to get into the actual aire and may have to park on the road overnight. Be aware that if you wake up on a weekday there will be cars all around you owing to local offices.
Ensure you go the caves if you go to Arras, and the town is a bit of a trek but huge couple of squares for the market.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
The top photo looks like the entrance. From the Aire walk back in the direction you drove in and turn right, at the roundabout cross the road and go left across the bridge.

Attachments

• F9284F91-E0EF-444F-BF40-03507FFF2FB6.png
    F9284F91-E0EF-444F-BF40-03507FFF2FB6.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 9

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back