grape picking in france (1 Viewer)

Mar 31, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just wondering if anyone has Travelled to France in there motorhome and worked the grape harvest in September and what your experiences where. Was it enjoyable ,rewarding etc. Thanks

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Funnily enough we were wondering exactly the same thing yesterday!

I wondered whether we might have a problem with the seasonal workers who come from Eastern Europe to bring in the harvest. I don't know if they'd see it as intrusion. I'm probably being ridiculous in that assumption but will follow this thread with interest!

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Joanna Lumbley and Jen Saunders did a spot of that a while ago, it was on telly. Looked no bother at all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Yes, I saw that programme. Joanna and Jennifer were guests of the vineyard's owner, not to mention having a film crew with them. I'm not sure whether there may be resentment towards the likes of you and me!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes did it in the 70,s . it was good fun . very wet n muddy most of the time . didnt earn much . but in summer worked in cornwall on holiday site so grape picking was an extra job while on the way to morocco.
great experiance and you meet many different folk. we did three farms in france then later got work on the orange groves in spain . mind these are mainly big companies running folk around in coaches to the picks these days .
hope your young as its hard work really.
better to work a few more weeks in uk really pays better but you wouldnt get the meeting locals the same .

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Your experience of working your way down to Morocco sounds great!

We were thinking of doing it for the experience, not making money. I guess there must be some money in it though as there's hundreds of caravans parked by the fields which have travelled from Eastern Europe. It does look like backbreaking work though... which might preclude us!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i was only early 20,s back then and every penny counted . it was fun .
mainly it was about surfing in morocco then coming back the next spring through portugal again surf the coast where ever.
in later years it was easier to drive hgv in summer in uk and get off in my m,home for winter. come back in the spring about may time and get the driving job back again. always hgv driving jobs going and its possibly the easiest job i have ever had , and pays well too.
fits in with traveling as well. makes going to work like going on holiday.
have fun .
we liked it around cognac best nicer drinks . hee hee

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Things have changed a great deal with grape picking most of it is done by machine these days and only the grand chateauxs still gather by hand (vendange). Trimming the vines is in progress now but I believe is arranged through a French version of the English "gang masters" who organise the picking in the UK. Such work is considered skilled here and casual work would be very hard to find. Working on campsites however is a different matter and many Brits do so but you will be required to have a working knowledge of French. House/chateaux sitting is another option and there are many positions such as that but the pay is normally the accommodation and the chance to see the surrounding areas. Good luck with your search. @vwalan must agree around Cognac is excellent probably why we live just next door. p.s. If you ever looking for agency work around Leeds/Bradford give me a nod, I have an excellent contact who always treated me very well.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
You could always park in a French supermarket carpark and then pop in and get some grapes, you would only need to pick one bunch then you could pack in, easier on the back.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Things have changed a great deal with grape picking most of it is done by machine these days and only the grand chateauxs still gather by hand (vendange). Trimming the vines is in progress now but I believe is arranged through a French version of the English "gang masters" who organise the picking in the UK. Such work is considered skilled here and casual work would be very hard to find. Working on campsites however is a different matter and many Brits do so but you will be required to have a working knowledge of French. House/chateaux sitting is another option and there are many positions such as that but the pay is normally the accommodation and the chance to see the surrounding areas. Good luck with your search. @vwalan must agree around Cognac is excellent probably why we live just next door. p.s. If you ever looking for agency work around Leeds/Bradford give me a nod, I have an excellent contact who always treated me very well.
hi, i,m ok here loads work being offered . have friends that live in puyclavoud near st,angeau. very nice .
not sure i want to live abroad these days . wanted to several years ago, but found coming back working the summer then off again in winter suited best . only had 3 winters in uk since 98 . mind missed several more as a teenager etc . blame my parents for taking us on the hippy trails in the early 60,s .
there,s loads of adventures out there . have fun smile and wave at the locals is my dads old saying . he was right.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Agree with @jetlag03

Most picking in our area is done by machine but there are still plenty of vineyards looking for hand pickers.

We see them out there every year and admire their fortitude. It’s a young person’s job, if you have not been brought up doing it.

OP
OP
Gerh66
Mar 31, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks for the replies. I just thought it would be interesting to spend a few weeks doing something I have never done before . I am sure it must be very satisfying and maybe see a different side of France instead of the usual touristy thing . I have got in touch with one of the big chateaus and I am waiting a reply.
Thanks again

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Its back braking and very thirsty work and you won't want to see a grape for a long time afterwards!

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Here is a link to the whole thing , how, when where.

https://www.reussirmavie.net/Faire-les-vendanges-ou-et-quand_a206.html

And here is a place where you can get the job

http://www.vins-gaillac-vayssette.com/le-travail-de-la-vigne/les-vendanges-au-domaine-vayssette

Of course all in French

If you need a few things to be translated or clarified (be VERY careful with Google translation!!!!!), let me know . Just be aware I've got things to do here, so it might take a little time, but at least it will be correct! LOL !(y);)

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Ensure you begin your course of PHYLLOSAN today.

phyllisan.jpg

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
In my area quite a few wine yards want hand picking! My children have done it, and I know it is still like this in many more places you could think.
Just look in supermarkets: On the wine bottles you can read whether it's been hand picked or not, then you can plan where to ask!
(Cahors, Fronton, Gaillac, Corbière, to name but a few, don't forget there are numerous small winayards, hold by families... they only do hand picking!!)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back