LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We are just back from a long weekend taken so we could look after our Grandson whilst his Dad and Mum were at a Regimental Dinner. The original plan was that we would have him from tea time until the dinner finished.... this rapidly became

"Can you have him overnight?"

Well we went down to the Peak District via Scotch Corner (had to visit other relatives both on the way down and back) and met up with son at Hope where we had a lovely meal at lunchtime. Then it was:

"We have everything with us so you may as well take him now."

Fine, no problem. We'd booked at Hayfield C&CC site. Awful access through Hayfield but the site is gorgeous. Grandson (all of 14 months) loved every minute. We were scared he wouldn't settle but he slept for longer than he has ever done. DH was up every 30 minutes checking him though!!!!

The travel cot was too big to go in the space but I thought that might be the case so had a back up plan. Now we know what will work I will make a special Stephen bed for when he is with us. He is too small to use the dinette berth safely IMHO.

Anyway at breakfast I thought I would never fill him - two bowls of cereal, two pouches of fruit (provided by his Mum), two cups of milk and half the food that was supposed to be for his lunch... oh and a whole pack of biscuits. He then had a play on the swings and slide and fell asleep. We put him into our bed wedged in with cushions whilst we tidied up and made ready to leave - once he woke up and was ready.

He didn't wake (yes, he was fine just fasto) and we had to get him back to his Mum and Dad as our son needed help with a DIY project. I lifted him and put him in his car seat (it was very stable but I sat in the back with him just in case) and he just opened his eyes, smiled at me and went back to sleep as I strapped him in.

We got him home and he was waking just as we pulled up. Lots of hugs and smiles for his Dad but tears when we left.

Now we know he won't fret or make a scene we'll take him away odd nights again and it's looking good for longer trips as he gets older.

Result - considering he doesn't really know us except through Skype and a brief Center Parcs holiday it was remarkable how settled he was.

Back to reality with a bump now....

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Sounds as if you had a lovely weekend and hopefully many more to come.
We hired a campervan when my oldest was about 8 months old to make our way down to Brighton, she slept a lot and as she was in the front in her backward facing car seat and I was sitting on a side bench facing her I could keep her occupied. I seem to remember her sleeping in her pram body in between the side benches at night and the dogs slept with us.:Smile: Happy Days :Smile:

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I'm thinking of making a "nest" for Stephen to sleep in - a bit like the fabric dog beds but adapted to fit the space between the base of the dinette and the front passenger seat. We can take the table out completely at night. With high bumpers it will protect him from any protrusions and keep him warm.

Looks like I am going to be busy!

Once he is big enough we'll get Cabbunks.

Happy days ahead.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Sounds like a plan as long as you have no dogs to join him :Smile: I'll probably be to old to motorhome by the time I become a granny ::bigsmile:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
every time we go away we have a grand child he duse liviwith us so couldn't levee him at home could we
but I do remember us taking our firs grand child a way those memorise will stay with us for ever one we were abut fifty miles from home she started screaming:cry: and never stopped the hole week end
but after that she was fine if traqwalised :ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Make the most of it until he is two.. Then forget it until he is at least 5 or 6 !!

The term 'terrible 2's' was not coined for nowt !!! ( with 10 grandchildren and 7 great children we are somewhat qualified to give the opinion !!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: )

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We have two granddaughters one 13 & one 2 the 2 year old is spending more and more time with us lately and I can see her coming away in the van soon. :Smile:

speed080

Free Member
May 28, 2010
Funster No
our grandson has been coming away with us since day one he loves it the over cab is his den now he,s 5 and he thinks its his camper but granddad drives it for him. on the odd ocation when we don't have him the van seems too quiet, with no twenty questions at each turn. He is the best mate ive ever had.:thumb::thumb:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Our granddaughter now 4 and a bit has been coming with us since we first got a van 2 years ago and we love it but we only do selected outings that will provide entertainment for her
We took her to goth weekend and it did put a little downer on our night life and drinking habits but it was worth it to see her face when we got all togged up and into town she loved it
So early goth she will be with us next year :thumb:
Late goth the big one she will at home so we can enjoy it ourself :winky:

Problem is she thinks it's her mohome we only clean it and drive it so if it's going away she should be with us
so god knows what's going to happen when her little brother now ten months grows up a bit think we may have to come up with some good fairy storys
I don't think I could cope with 2 of them in one outing :cry:

Our Moroccan trip did take some explaining though 3 months away
We told we had lent out the van to her uncle and we where flying out there :Doh:

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
No dogs..... the daughter-in-law is terrified of them and hubby is allergic. I used to have a dog, miss her every day even though it is well over 20 years since she went for sky walkies.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well our grandson when he was 2 and a half came to see us on site with his mum and dad and baby sister when we had taken his big sister away with us in the caravan - only locally.

When it came for them to go home - big big misery with Tim - he sooo wanted to stay. So I found myself saying let him stay.

It was great fun playing with all the other children in the sunshine and he basically wore himself out as we had hoped - we then kept both of them up late - then we all went to bed. We only had bedding for us and his sis so he would sleep in between us. Fine. The he said in my ear in a pathetic little voice, all hurt and nearly but not quite tearful 'My mummy left me here - all on my own!' and I said 'So did mine darling, snuggle up to me and we'll keep each other company' and he was off to sleep.

I dunno how cos me and Pete didn't stop laughing for ages. There he was, 'all on his own' basically snuggled up between us two with his sister about 6 feet away in bed at the other end of the van!

Basically that was always the position he took up whenever we were with him until he was about 10. At home we normally sit side by side on a 2 seater settee, visitors get the 3-seater and the armchair, but Tim's place was always between us! two. And the same at their house where we would be on one of their settees - there he'd be !

None of the other girls (there are another 5 from 2 daughters apart from his big sister) have ever shown that sort of commitment to either of us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back