Graeme and my Dads B694, Nemesis! (1 Viewer)

Graemed72

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B694
Exp
Hi, I decided to join this group as I have problems with my Nemesis. My Dads Fiat Ducato based Hymer 6 wheeler B694. I have worked on vehicles since I was 3 years old. Out the back of the garden with my dad fixing his cars, being shown what is what. Till I did my training at college and passed my B-tec in motor vehicle technology, and city and guilds in panel beating and painting. I tried to find the find of the that was having problems with the red injector light coming up on his dash on his B544. The nemesis also suffered this problem. And so I thought I'd join this group to pass on a bit of my knowledge and try help if I can. At the moment the nemesis is up on axle stands again having the gearbox taken out to replace the clutch in it. I have not long replace all the brake lines, brake shoes, drums and cylinders and ABS pump. Which you can't find for love nor money! I did find one in the end. Which the vendor kindly put graphite paste in, which I found, only because I took the pump apart because I knew what the problem was with the original pump. So I found the graphite paste, washed it out and sealed the pump up properly, which the original pump failed by. So! The red injector light on the dash. Not many people know that fiat Ducato's have 2 diesel pumps, the high pressure pump on the front of the engine. Which is a mechanical pump. And a pump in the diesel tank. The pump in the diesel tank is not called a diesel pump. It is a diesel pump module that also carries the fuel level sender unit that let you know how much fuel is in the tank. I read up a lot about what people have done and got there mechanics to do. Involving adding wires to the ECU, from the throttle. The module is a simple part to replace. Back in the days of old, diesel engines had to be primed. Using a manual pump to pump fuel up to the filter, then onto the pump and then the injectors. Cracking the respective bleed bolts open to expell the trapped air. Roll on the years and now diesel engines have been fitted with an electric pump, that lifts the fuel from the tank up the filter and then the high pressure pump. High pressure pumps are good at compressing and forcing fuel to the injectors or common rail. But they can't suck very well. So the electric pump does that for the high pressure pump. Down on the floor, I will base this on a left hand drive vehicle, because the nemesis is LHD. And many hymers are LHD, and you will know what side of the vehicle I am talking about. Down on the floor under the carpets, if you pull the carpets up, you will find a rubber patch/grommet. Pull it out, there is a metal patch with about 6 screws securing it. Undo all the screws and you will get to the top of the fuel tank, where the fuel pipes are attached, and the wire connector block. Remove the pipe and block and undo the screws and that is the fuel pump module, ready to lift out. Now you could perform all sorts of tests and functions on it. But! For piece of mind, go onto Ebay, type in fiat ducato fuel pump module in. They are all pretty much the same, chose the price you want to pay, make sure it is the one that fits your ducato. You will see what i mean. Upon delivery, reverse what you did to take it out, to put it back in, and you should have a cure to your red injector light problem. I am just about to go outside this fine remembrance sunday, and put a new one in the tank of the nemesis. As I got one from a scrap yard last time and it hasn't lasted. Along with dropping the gearbox out for the new clutch. I know this is long winded. But then all good knowledge is. I hope this helps you all when the time comes. I am not sure if it is dirty diesel, an old fuel relay that causes the pump to burn out, or the fuel pressure regulator. I have changed the fuel pressure regulator on the nemesis. And I don't know the state of the scrap yard pump. I could not find a new pump at the time because I did not know that they call them 'fuel pump modules' and not just fuel pumps. I hope this helps those that need this help.

Attachments

• 1604843063358694727036926062530.jpg
    1604843063358694727036926062530.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 16048431110723436052225540678679.jpg
    16048431110723436052225540678679.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 16048431435466007735114983785112.jpg
    16048431435466007735114983785112.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 88
OP
OP
Graemed72

Graemed72

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B694
Exp
I am sorry about the paragraph's. I am not very computer orientated. I just guessed that those frustrated about the red injector light problem would make relevance of what i was trying to get through. And save themselves a pot full of cash. So my appologies guys. I will try better next time. šŸ˜šŸ˜

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Graemed72

Graemed72

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B694
Exp
Thank you for your welcome too Janine, and Ingwe, and PhillipSheila.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I am sorry about the paragraph's. I am not very computer orientated. I just guessed that those frustrated about the red injector light problem would make relevance of what i was trying to get through. And save themselves a pot full of cash. So my appologies guys. I will try better next time. šŸ˜šŸ˜

It's the message that's important, not the layout, and I saw the relevance having had this problem before now...
Thanks
John

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome!

What I understand from your post is you had a problem which is now fixed? :)

Doubly welcome then although there are lots of folk on here who prefer unsolved problems they can chew over. :) :) :)

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
w2f

I read your post all the way through just fine, always wondered what was under that cover on the floor, very informative. Frog.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
If only my VW T6 had an access hole to get to the tank pump. I have to drop the tank to get to the pump/level sender which I have done on a couple of similar VWs to install Eberspacher fuel feeds.

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
There are some good helpful Groups on Facebook for specific issues - Classic Hymers and Classic Hymers Technical - as well as this one of course (as you can see I have an older Hymer) ...

Cheers and welcome ...

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I thought it standard practice with injector issues to check the incoming fuel pressure? The lift pump is just one of the weak points, along with a leak on the fuel filter. Also some of the ducatos came from the factory with an injector wiring harness that was too short so gave an intermittent fault

There is also train of thought that interrupting the electrical feed to the lift pump makes an excellent security device. This could throw a curve ball if the previous owner has not passed on details and the hidden switch turned off

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back