'GP's to report elderly patients who are considered unsafe to drive' (1 Viewer)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
I personally would have no problem if the Doctor said I was unfit to drive , I'm 71 other half 78 we are both as good a driver as we were in our 50s or 60s , if I noticed O.H having problems I would tell him and Im sure he would do the same, he has just renewed his licence, he had the cataracts on both eyes done earlier this year and now doesn't even need glasses to drive , I have just recently started to wear mine for driving.
Its funny how when your young you think some-one of 70 is ancient !! its only when you get their yourself you realize that really your the same person.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If there is any likelihood of older drivers avoiding visiting their doctors, in case he/she considers them unfit to drive. Would it not be better/safer for all road users if older drivers licenses automatically expired at say age 70, and from that age, they could only obtain a 1 or 2 year license if they had a medical certificate from their doctor and optician. I'm sure insurers would offer even better rates to 'senior' drivers if they knew that they were 'fit' to drive.
Your ability to drive, due to failing eyesight and other mental functions can deteriorate so slowly that you still consider yourself fit to drive, whereas getting a regular check up would not ensure that only those fit to drive, continue to do so, but it may also help highlight other medical problems that can be treated.

Robert

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I don't know why older drivers are being picked on.

If GPs have to report those unfit to drive lets see publicans refuse to serve all those who turn up at their pub in a car in case they're the driver (and close all pub carparks). Lets see all cyclists have to display registration numbers and wear helmets and hi-viz vests at all times. And lets deny a licence to all those who are under the age of 25 as they have the most accidents, and anyone who has a criminal conviction for violence because they have already displayed poor self control and you don't want them losing their temper behind the wheel. And we absolutely must ban two or more women in a car when one is the driver, as they can't talk without looking at each other.

You see it's a long list already and I've only just got started.

People come up with examples of poor driving by older motorists but I can think of plenty of dangerous driving and riding incidents by others from identifiable social groups and nothing is done about them.

If you wish to have something done about elderly (not older!) drivers you might take a look at your own situation. I'm sure I can find a category for potential banning you fit into.

Last edited:

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
My ex mother in law wasn't fit to drive, not through any infirmity, she is just a bloody awful driver.

Thankfully she's back in Italy now so nobody notices (c:

Six years ago at the age of 86 my mother was still driving. She suffers macular degeneration and has trouble reading number (words are ok, she just can't focus on each digit). She had loads of tests and was considered fit to drive, but the condition meant that she was entitled to a white stick. Caused some funny looks when she parked her Golf GTi in a disabled spot and got out with the stick...

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
It does seem so, but the DVLA form that @MinxyGirl linked simply says:
"I have concerns over a person's fitness to drive and I wish to tell the DVLA"
Maybe we're just more aware of our parents' driving deteriorating?

As a sort of aside, it seems to me that older drivers in mohos are more confident and 'safe' than those in cars; and I'd suggest that this may be because other (car) drivers behave better around a larger, slower vehicle than around a smaller one? Just a thought .....

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

If GPs have to report those unfit to drive lets see publicans refuse to serve all those who turn up at their pub in a car in case they're the driver (and close all pub carparks). Lets see all cyclists have to display registration numbers and wear helmets and hi-viz vests at all times. And lets deny a licence to all those who are under the age of 25 as they have the most accidents, and anyone who has a criminal conviction for violence because they have already displayed poor self control and you don't want them losing their temper behind the wheel. And we absolutely must ban two or more women in a car when one is the driver, as they can't talk without looking at each other.

People come up with examples of poor driving by older motorists but I can think of plenty of dangerous driving and riding incidents by others from identifiable social groups and nothing is done about them.

If you wish to have something done about elderly (not older!) drivers you might take a look at your own situation. I'm sure I can find a category for potential banning you fit into.

I agree examples of bad driving can easily be found but the list above is ridiculous, I don't think elderly drivers are being picked on, there are many elderly or older drivers who are perfectly competent and pose no more risk than any other driver. However, I do think there are elderly drivers who will not accept their driving days are over, those are the ones who's GP's should be notifying the DVLA. I don't see anything wrong in that.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Yup.. It really does make sense to be honest
I am sure most of us know someone who REALLY should not be driving..
But it should not be an age thing.
Anyone of any age who is not fit to drive should be reported to the licencing authorities
You are not going to be popular with Audi and BMW drivers saying things like that John :eek:

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I agree examples of bad driving can easily be found but the list above is ridiculous, I don't think elderly drivers are being picked on, there are many elderly or older drivers who are perfectly competent and pose no more risk than any other driver. However, I do think there are elderly drivers who will not accept their driving days are over, those are the ones who's GP's should be notifying the DVLA. I don't see anything wrong in that.

So driving home from the pub after a few drinks is OK with you. Cyclists should be as invisible as they like, young drivers are not a problem (who cares about accidents) and road rage is just an innocent way of letting off steam. I think the police might disagree with you.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
So driving home from the pub after a few drinks is OK with you. Cyclists should be as invisible as they like, young drivers are not a problem (who cares about accidents) and road rage is just an innocent way of letting off steam. I think the police might disagree with you.

Please don't put words into my mouth. Of course drink driving is not acceptable. I did not suggest it was.
As to the suggestions that:-

"Publicans refuse to serve all those who turn up at their pub in a car in case they're the driver (and close all pub carparks)"

"All cyclists have to display registration numbers and wear helmets and hi-viz vests at all times".

"And lets deny a licence to all those who are under the age of 25 as they have the most accidents,"

"Anyone who has a criminal conviction for violence because they have already displayed poor self control and you don't want them losing their temper behind the wheel"

"And we absolutely must ban two or more women in a car when one is the driver, as they can't talk without looking at each other".

True, members of the first four groups pose more of a risk but I don't think there are too many ladies who would agree with the last group.

I thought you suggestions were serious, were that the case they would be ridiculous, but on reflection I and sure that you cannot really be suggesting these.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
i quite like the banning of 2 women though !!! perhaps i wouldnt have been rammed in my side door if there was just 1,,,and i was parked at the time !! lol

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
All medical conditions which may have an effect on a persons ability to drive must, by law, be reported to DVLA. Unfortunately this system relies upon the honesty of the person concerned (and to an extent on their social conscience). regardless of age regular medicals should be a feature of our driving licence system. If we are required to renew the photograph every 10 years why is the opportunity not taken to also require a medical - the standards are there, all we need to do is apply them.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
"And lets deny a licence to all those who are under the age of 25 as they have the most accidents,"
Good point (y)(y)(y) Some doctor might get around to telling young women that using the rear view mirror to apply lippy whilst driving around corners in a four wheel drift, with headphones plugged in, might just be construed as dangerous. :)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I'd go along with a compulsory (free) annual medical and practical check for driving capability for every driver reaching the age of ?? (65?).

FREE?? Anything? with THIS Government?. Surely you joke?. This lot make Tony (B)liar`s "Rip off Britain" look like a charity do!

Pete

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
have sadly had to stop a few relatives from driving because they became a danger to themselves and others. getting the gp onside is essential

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Ok?. So. Today, A38. Driving M-H, 53mph, nice speed Towing Trailer, keeping up with the LGV`s. Down the slip road comes D-H`d in the Beamer. Can`t miss me, 7.4M long Lights on Towing a Classic Car on a Trailer.??

WRONG!! I have no where to go. traffic on the outside, Doing??+++++. So I kick the CC off, No response, I hit the Brakes AND Horn simultaneously!!. Finally "IT" decides to stop, nearly on the grass!. 5 min Later this "Thing" comes past Horn blaring and giving me the "Bird".

Never Mind Ageist. I wish I had an A-K. First the tyres THEN the D-H`d!.

(Rant Over)

Pete

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Ok?. So. Today, A38. Driving M-H, 53mph, nice speed Towing Trailer, keeping up with the LGV`s. Down the slip road comes D-H`d in the Beamer. Can`t miss me, 7.4M long Lights on Towing a Classic Car on a Trailer.??

WRONG!! I have no where to go. traffic on the outside, Doing??+++++. So I kick the CC off, No response, I hit the Brakes AND Horn simultaneously!!. Finally "IT" decides to stop, nearly on the grass!. 5 min Later this "Thing" comes past Horn blaring and giving me the "Bird".

(Rant Over)

Pete

So - a Kalashnikov to be added to your tool box :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Could play havoc with the car providers, Start taking licenses from 60-65 year old's because they cant manage to pass a retest. They are the ones with the money, remove a number of these from car purchasing and the economy could tip.

Also the younger members should remember that when they reach that age they'll still have 10 years left before they can retire , so how are they going to get to work? :)

True (y)

Here we have a medical every 10 years if you are driving just a car- If you have C, c1 etc & want to retain it then it is every 5 years. Until it was brought in line with the rest of EU it used to be 3 years & 5 years.
Then again if they took your licence away here then people would just buy the 'motorbike cars , aixiom ,ligier,etc ; which are " micro-cars sin carnet " here . Don't need a licence .:LOL: 10's of 000's of old people who have never held a licence drive them here.:D I have a neighbour round the back that has one. He can barely see 4' !!!:(

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I haven't read all the posts on this but I do think all drivers should have a medical after the age of 70 plus take a driving assessment by a qualified driving school and at their own expense!! (the state is not responsible for the costs of our own convenience) at each licence renewal after that

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I personally would have no problem if the Doctor said I was unfit to drive , I'm 71 other half 78 we are both as good a driver as we were in our 50s or 60s , if I noticed O.H having problems I would tell him and Im sure he would do the same, he has just renewed his licence, he had the cataracts on both eyes done earlier this year and now doesn't even need glasses to drive , I have just recently started to wear mine for driving.
Its funny how when your young you think some-one of 70 is ancient !! its only when you get their yourself you realize that really your the same person.

I totally agree with everything you said. However I noticed my mother was unsafe to drive 7 or so years ago and I refused to pay for any more MOT's on her car so she came off the road. She was only 65. In other respects she is sharp as a scalpel but her driving was scary. One persons 90 is anothers 65. However there is something that happens sometime after 6x... years of age for some early for some later. Having an enforced independent assessment with a right of apeal may be a good idea. There are too many and the number is increasing of older drivers who are dangerous. I would want this brought in at the same time as a 10 years assessment of everyone on the road though.

Six years ago at the age of 86 my mother was still driving. She suffers macular degeneration and has trouble reading number (words are ok, she just can't focus on each digit). She had loads of tests and was considered fit to drive, but the condition meant that she was entitled to a white stick. Caused some funny looks when she parked her Golf GTi in a disabled spot and got out with the stick...
I don't understand? She is safe to drive but can't walk without a white stick? How does that work?

i quite like the banning of 2 women though !!! perhaps i wouldnt have been rammed in my side door if there was just 1,,,and i was parked at the time !! lol

Judging by the fact my van got rammed while parked 4 times in 3 months by mothers dropping kids off at school I would ban any woman who had just had a child until that child was at secondary school :D:p:whistle:. 2 of them blamed me and the engine wasn't even running.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Please don't put words into my mouth. Of course drink driving is not acceptable. I did not suggest it was.
As to the suggestions that:-

"Publicans refuse to serve all those who turn up at their pub in a car in case they're the driver (and close all pub carparks)"

"All cyclists have to display registration numbers and wear helmets and hi-viz vests at all times".

"Anyone who has a criminal conviction for violence because they have already displayed poor self control and you don't want them losing their temper behind the wheel"

"And we absolutely must ban two or more women in a car when one is the driver, as they can't talk without looking at each other".

True, members of the first four groups pose more of a risk but I don't think there are too many ladies who would agree with the last group.

I thought you suggestions were serious, were that the case they would be ridiculous, but on reflection I and sure that you cannot really be suggesting these.

Ooh. Sussed. I was only serious about the last one.:ROFLMAO:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
As far as I am aware Dr's have had a list of conditions that they need to report to DVLA. I guess this suggests that they also apply their professional view to the general state of health of their patient. They would discuss the position with the patient and then inform DVLA.
Difficult stuff, telling someone that their health now means that they are not able to continue to drive, real life changing decisions, not something I would like to do too often. A GPs life is not an easy one, although very lucrative.

They do. My condition is not covered by the list but because it has become worse over the past couple of months I have decided myself (and discussed this with my GP) that I will not drive until I get an opinion from the hospital consultant. My GP said he did not need to report it as the condition was not covered but did say I was doing the sensible thing. He also said that because the condition was not covered he could not authorise the community transport service for me so I would be reliant on others for transport (no public transport here).

Report on radio only the other week about this and some of the diasterous consequences and loss of life caused by oldies refusing to face facts. About time
I think but in no way enough leaving it up to doctors, should be re tests for all at some stage...

The main thing that came out of program was that concerned family members have no way of reporting an elderly relative who refuses to stop...

There is a method for doing this on the DVLA website

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emaildvla/cegemail/dvla/en/drivers_med_03.html

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Yeah, statistically they have fewer, that's because they have probably caused a massive crash and driven off without being caught :eek::eek: or they have been bumbling along soooooooo slooooowly that the driver behind has taken a risk and had an accident whilst trying to overtake them :eek:

Just sayin ..... :rolleyes:

Per mile driven I think the over 80s have more accidents than any other group although I'm not sure if that statistic includes or excludes young drivers.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
have sadly had to stop a few relatives from driving because they became a danger to themselves and others. getting the gp onside is essential

In the case of one of my relatives the GP was not involved as such..... the forms were filled in by the nurse and just signed by the GP who didn't even examine the relative even though I had spoken and written reagrding my concerns.

(Rant Over)

Pete

Has happened to us as well...... I just pointed to the dash cam and they speed off.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I wish I could have more confidence in the DVLA to deal with these issues. A couple of years ago my sister crashed her car driving a long distance home late at night . She is not elderly (in her mid 50's). She doesn't know why, she remembers driving into the village and the next thing was coming round after crashing into a wall. The police were involved and as she couldn't give a reason (although she probably fell asleep at the wheel) for the accident she was reported to the DVLA who immediately revoked her licence for 6 months. She was to have a medical before it would be given back to her. This seems fair enough as the implication was she may have blacked out while driving. She referred herself to her doctor almost straight away and nothing untoward was found. When the 6 months were up she took a full medical and was certified fit to drive by her doctor. She applied for her licence and it took a further 6 months for the DVLA to process and return it to her. Apparently a doctor's recommendation isn't good enough. The application has to go before a DVLA committee before a licence can be returned and a huge backlog of cases is given as the reason for the delay. I realise this isn't the same as being told you are at the end of your driving career, but if there is any chance a condition may only be temporary I would be very reluctant to declare anything to the DVLA although I would be responsible enough not to drive if my doctor said I wasn't fit.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
but if there is any chance a condition may only be temporary I would be very reluctant to declare anything to the DVLA although I would be responsible enough not to drive if my doctor said I wasn't fit.

Which is what my GP said......

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I have a medical every year. to keep my hgv. so I know I am ok.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
in the case of one of my relatives, a lady actually followed her home to the warden assisted estate where she lived to make sure she got home. Then told her exactly how she had been driving and asked her to please think about giving up. that evening my relative rang me for advice and I had to be honest that we all thought she should of stopped driving a year or two earlier
the following week I took her to her GP who also agreed it was time to stop driving, based on her medical situation. On taking her home, she handed me the keys and paperwork for the car and asked me to take it home so the temptation to drive it wasnt there any more. six months later, she was in a nursing home with full blown dementure.

My mum had a stroke and the consultant in the hospital said she could never drive again due to the brain damage. I had her motability car taken back before mum got back home. Then despite having profound vascular dementure, mum treasured her driving licence and insisted she could still drive. My sister lived with her and used to do the shopping, and I did all the hospital visits so she never actually had any further need to drive. eventually as she deteriorated further, we used to book wheelchair accessible taxis to get her to appointments. so there is always an option to get about when you can no longer drive

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had 2 'stationary' accidents!

The first was when we were in our new Rapido and whilst hubby was sat in it with the engine off I went a nearby shop for some bread ... as I came out I saw a white car park behind ... which didn't stop far enough away and eventually ended up 'parked' pushing our rear 'bumper' in by 3 inches! When I got to the car the 'old dear' inside didn't have a clue and said my husband had reversed into her!!!! Once she had moved her car backwards fortunately there was no damage to our bumper as it had just pushed in and slightly bend the alloy bracket underneath which was easily straightened ... but she would not admit she'd done it ... what made it more scary is she had her young grandson with her!!! At the time I should have rung the police and reported her as unfit to drive but it wasn't until afterwards that this thought came to me. Hopefully her grandson will have told his parents when he got home of the 'escapade' ... so they might have done something about it.

The second was in our Renault Modus a few years ago when we were parked in a residents' car park as we had just gone to buy something and were waiting for the sat nav to plot our route home ... a youngish lady came out of her home with her 2 kids and got into her car which was across from us at a right angle with it's rear towards us ... next thing ... "bang" ... she had reversed at speed out of the spot and hit us! She didn't SEE US even though she'd just walked past to get to her car!!!! She was apologetic and her hubby had to come to sort out the insurance info as she couldn't access it (all online) ... he tried to say we'd caused it by being parked where we were as no-one parks there (it was a legitimate spot!) or that we'd moved as she had reversed!!! Needless to say we took photos and even though there was 'no contest' as to how it was caused their insurance company had to be 'forced' to pay out as the couple wouldn't admit liability. Oh, forgot to say ... I don't think her wearing 6 inch stiletto heeled shoes helped her driving!

We've had other close misses from the 'more senior' members of our society but fortunately no more actual 'hits'!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back