GPS Speed monitor (1 Viewer)

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
I am looking at getting hold of a GPS speed monitor to attach above the instrument panel having seen all this stuff about the French getting very tight on speeding, no doubt soon to followed by others. Has anyone any thoughts on what to buy. There is lots of Chinese “junk” (no pun intended) on Ebay but do not want to spend an arm and leg on going the whole hog to adding a speed limiter having had now two cars with them installed - did not realise that they are mandatory in cars these days. I find one very useful in keeping to the speed limit without too much worry and easy to set.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I bought a £20 off ebay works fine.

I don't bother using the speed limiter on the Motorhome, got caught out too many times. Getting back on a main road after going through a village put foot down, nothing happens, brain goes into panic mode.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Ever since we got our Fiat based van, I have eaten endless amounts of carrots, been signed off at Specsavers, but nothing has improved, still need a periscope to see past the steering wheel to see the speedo, its just at the most awkward height isn't it..:swear2:
I still rely on either the gongs from the Garmin, or the nags from the wife, but I agree full attention is required in France, especially with UK plates from what I have read on here in the recent past.
GPS app for the phone sounds good idea also, may give that a go.(y)
LES

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ever since we got our Fiat based van, I have eaten endless amounts of carrots, been signed off at Specsavers, but nothing has improved, still need a periscope to see past the steering wheel to see the speedo, its just at the most awkward height isn't it..
Don't have that problem but it is in a dark hole. I put the km dial back in bigger figures but still difficult to read.

Upvote 0

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Garmin Camper sat nav chimes at you every time you go over the speed limit, very useful.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2021
Newport Pagnell
Funster No
MH
Buccaneer Commodore
Exp
Since 2018.
I bought a cheapy head up display from ebay. Appears to be accurate with speedo on Google Maps. So much easier to use than adjusting between road and speedo.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I don't have a problem reading the dials on our Pug for MPH, but I can't read the KPH for our foreign travels, so I also use an old smartphone with GPS speedo app which sits happily in front of the Pug dials, cost, nothing. (y)

Upvote 0

Deleted User
As above I use and app on an old phone or tablet and can set limits which chimes when exceeded. If anyone has a Fiat there is a (free?) software update available which illuminates the dials when the ignition is on.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ian Bosman
Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks for the comments. I use my iPhone for the navigation attached to my smart radio with Apple CaPlay so another app running will not do. I will investigate the old smart phone idea or look at the kit offered by Amazon/EBay. I have seen one which is low profile to stick above the instrument binnacle. Anyway, thanks again

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ian Bosman
Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Don't have that problem but it is in a dark hole. I put the km dial back in bigger figures but still difficult to read.
I fixed the dark hole with a short strip of 12volt led self adhesive but too bright at night so I unplug it as I really need an inline switch to rely on the inbuilt illumination at night

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Thanks for the comments. I use my iPhone for the navigation attached to my smart radio with Apple CaPlay so another app running will not do. I will investigate the old smart phone idea or look at the kit offered by Amazon/EBay. I have seen one which is low profile to stick above the instrument binnacle. Anyway, thanks again
Forgot to say that some speed apps work in reverse so you can have a head up display if you can find a way to mount it.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
1614760553866.png

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I use Apple CarPlay too. I have taken to using the Waze app for navigating because it includes both Vehicle Speed and Speed Limit on the screen, it also has an optional overspeed warning which sounds a “gong” whenever the road speed exceeds the the speed limit. The only thing is if there has been a recent change in the speed limit the map may stiil show the old limit, doesn’t happen often but still need to keep an eye on the road signs and vehicle speed.

Upvote 0

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
I have one of these, it's not head's up despite what the description says you read it straight off the clear face, you can program the display to change colour at chosen speeds, easily changeable from miles to kmh, it will display 2 other parameters like voltage and temp as well as speed, also displays ODB diagnostics and erases fault codes.
<Broken link removed>

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I use Sygic navigation app.
it shows the speed you are travelling at, the speed limit you are in, it gives an audible warning when you exceed the speed limit (can be adjusted to how much above limit), and warns you where the cameras are.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ian Bosman
Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
I have one of these, it's not head's up despite what the description says you read it straight off the clear face, you can program the display to change colour at chosen speeds, easily changeable from miles to kmh, it will display 2 other parameters like voltage and temp as well as speed, also displays ODB diagnostics and erases fault codes.
<Broken link removed>

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ian Bosman
Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
<Broken link removed>
It seems to me that they use the term HUD to mean it is in your line of vision. Slight confusion over that. I would prefer to be able to see it direct, not reflected on the windscreen, as I would worry about seeing it in very bright sunlight.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I use DigiHUD on Android but in normal rather than HUD mode. Easily switched. Colour choice and very bright. I clip the phone into the phone holder built into the top of the Fiat fold out document holder. Very secure and dead easy to read. Use it all the time.

Upvote 0
May 3, 2020
Basse Normandie France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
I'm a newbie
Trying to get to grips with this thread, I have a Garmin sat nav stuck to the windscreen that displays the speed, even goes red when I exceed the limit ( not very often) its even in Kms/h and its accurate,
I cant see what all the fuss is about, surely most people have a sat nav these days

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ian Bosman
Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Trying to get to grips with this thread, I have a Garmin sat nav stuck to the windscreen that displays the speed, even goes red when I exceed the limit ( not very often) its even in Kms/h and its accurate,
I cant see what all the fuss is about, surely most people have a sat nav these days
Well, no. Although I have a SatNav (cheap Chinese job with free updates it claimed when I bought it but a right hassle updating it three years later), they are only as up to date with their maps as the last update you entered so I have gone for using my smart radio linked to Waze, Here, Apple Maps or Google Maps (I am trying them all out for which satisfy myself the most) on my iPhone (all I have listed are free) all of which are very up to date, especially the latter two. There are, like them all, various options some of which allow off line mode or connected mode so there is a whole set of choices out there. Yes, the speed is displayed on most but the smart radio is in the centre of the dashboard out of the regular line of sight but the spoken instructions so far I have been able to follow easily. I am aware that the GPS speed is very accurate but not necessarily to be relied upon I. whichever unit of speed you choose. What I want is dedicated speed display in digital form. The pity is that my 2015 Corsa displays the speed digitally as well as analogue and is straight in front of me as a driver and it has a speed limiter/cruise control (you get to choose which as you drive) which is a doddle to set to whatever speed I wish. So I am looking for the nearest equivalent. I know I could buy, at fairly large expense an add on cruise control with speed limiter for the Ducato but there is a limit to the finances.

Upvote 0

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Well, no. Although I have a SatNav (cheap Chinese job with free updates it claimed when I bought it but a right hassle updating it three years later), they are only as up to date with their maps as the last update you entered so I have gone for using my smart radio linked to Waze, Here, Apple Maps or Google Maps (I am trying them all out for which satisfy myself the most) on my iPhone (all I have listed are free) all of which are very up to date, especially the latter two. There are, like them all, various options some of which allow off line mode or connected mode so there is a whole set of choices out there. Yes, the speed is displayed on most but the smart radio is in the centre of the dashboard out of the regular line of sight but the spoken instructions so far I have been able to follow easily. I am aware that the GPS speed is very accurate but not necessarily to be relied upon I. whichever unit of speed you choose. What I want is dedicated speed display in digital form. The pity is that my 2015 Corsa displays the speed digitally as well as analogue and is straight in front of me as a driver and it has a speed limiter/cruise control (you get to choose which as you drive) which is a doddle to set to whatever speed I wish. So I am looking for the nearest equivalent. I know I could buy, at fairly large expense an add on cruise control with speed limiter for the Ducato but there is a limit to the finances.
My Garmin Sat Nav has a view that is just the speed.
Maybe it's not a common feature but maybe worth looking to see if the sat nav you already own has something similar.
Without the latest maps some speed limits would be out of date, but you'll be using street signs though :)

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I use my Garmin sat nav as my speedometer in France. Very accurate and ding dongs over limit and speed display turns red.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back