Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer c544gt
Exp
1 year
Hi
Hope someone can help me

I have Garmin 660 camper sat nav and I have never used or entered gps co ordinates before

If seems a minefield

Looked in the various books for campsite and asci sites

I’ve tried to input to my Garmin.

Either does recognise them or I need to convert them some how

I’m baffled by them

Do I need to be a mathematician

Can somebody please help

I can see on my Garmin there are 3 formats of number availabile to enter

How do I know which is what

As I said before
I have no knowledge of this before

Help appreciated
Thanks

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I would guess you need to identify the coordinate type/format in use in the reference book and select the appropriate option in the Satnav before entering such?

Perhaps this link may help explain the different coordinate formats (DD, DMS, DMM etc)?:-

http://www.ubergizmo.com/how-to/read-gps-coordinates/

I also have little knowledge about such, but using Google you can also find sites which convert from one coordinate format to another.

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have the Garmin 660, too.

Under Settings: Units & Time: Position Format you will Coordinate Format. Select this and you will have several choices. The 3 you are most likely to encounter are part way down the list:

h ddd.dddddd (decimal degrees)

h ddd. mm.mmmm' (degrees & decimal minutes)

h. ddd. mm'. ss. ss'' (degrees, seconds and minutes)

You can read all about these here: https://www.maptools.com/tutorials/lat_lon/formats

For your purposes right now, ACSI shows site positions in degrees, seconds and minutes so select and Save this in your device. Simply enter the coordinates as shown in the ACSI site into the Coordinates option under Where To.

Useful note. On the Coordinates page you will find a spanner symbol in the top left corner. This takes you straight to the Coordinate Format section in Settings, allowing you to change quickly between formats if necessary.

There a numerous coordinate converter apps for smart phones etc. Google Maps has its own, too:

https://www.gps-coordinates.net/gps-coordinates-converter

Hope this helps. You don't have to understand it in depth, just know how to recognize the main formats and how to switch between them on your Garmin.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
It may be of interest to think about the origins of Lat and Long ie the system developed from ancient marine navigation. Position on the earths surface was calculated by the angle of the sun or other objects in the sky in degrees minutes and seconds above the horizon. Since then its got more complicated largely due to decimals and computers!.
Incidentally our earlier Tom Tom (Go 700) needed to be given a format before you could enter, our later one (Via 118) seems to accept them anyhow provided you enter it using the decimal point or the seconds thingy.
Hope this is of interest
Mike

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have also dabbled with coordinates, not with much success TBH

what I did find was unless you are very lucky get them wrong you will end up miles off course, use town and street you can only ever be a few yards wrong (y)

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Usually, we are entering a Lat and Long to find a known position which is also on the poi list ie supermarket or ACSI campsite. I always turn on that poi and check that the lat and long ends at the relevant poi marker
Mike

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

what I did find was unless you are very lucky get them wrong you will end up miles off course, use town and street you can only ever be a few yards wrong (y)
Converting they manually I don't know why but they often come out wrong and you end up navigating to the middle of the Atlantic.:)
Never had any problems with Camper Contacts or Park4Night coordinates but if you do need to convert much better to use an app or do it online.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
When entering the lat numbers usually just drop in the correct positions with long you sometimes need to eneter one or two prefix
"0" (zeros) dpeneding how its been written down
51.161913, 4.781521 put in 004 781521 depending on the number of slots before .

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Well you can get a rough check, just imagine it as a percentage of 60, but I would never try to do anything closer, thats why i prefer to re-check that its also a known poi, good job we arent relying on them like sailors have to ! In the meantime I've looked up the mapcode system looks like a solution looking for a problem to me!!
Mike

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Its easy to get confused about E/W or minus signs, I just imagine being in balloon hovering over the Greenwich meridian and the direction the earth revolves- it can all get a bit mind blowing but it does work
M

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
To enter unknown co-ords i always use Google earth.
Place the curser on the exact map location and it shows co-ords at the bottom of the map.
Transfer to satnag.
For camp sites/showgrounds etc it's never sent me anywhere other than the entrance gate, which is my preferred location.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
To enter unknown co-ords i always use Google earth.
Place the curser on the exact map location and it shows co-ords at the bottom of the map.
Transfer to satnag.
For camp sites/showgrounds etc it's never sent me anywhere other than the entrance gate, which is my preferred location.
Also with Google maps if you right click on the spot you want and select "What's here?" it will show the coordinates.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+

Not sure why it would send you astray if you didn’t allow it as once you enter the Coords it flags up the address. (n)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Not sure why it would send you astray if you didn’t allow it as once you enter the Coords it flags up the address. (n)

that presumes you also have the address, in which case why not enter that?

I recall as a scout many years ago misreading a map, where all we were given were grid references, quite unusually the south oxford area has the same numbers on both sides of the map, so a transposed number (either read wrong or given incorrectly) would have you potentially walking a long way too far o_O

some folk seem to be determined to use coordinates, I personally don't get it, but then we still like to have a map on our laps to check out sat nags as well :)(y)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Some minor inaccuracies can creep in because of the various map datums used. For instance if the position was originally taken from an OS map the datum is probably OSGB36, which is slightly different to the WGS84 datum which is, I believe, often the default datum used by gps units. I have read that Google Maps/Earth uses WGS84.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
There is a free "app" called co-ordinates - input any of the GPS co-ordinates and it will show all 4 possibilities. I find it very useful to transfer co-ordinates across

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
In the meantime I've looked up the mapcode system looks like a solution looking for a problem to me!!

The Mapcode system only works on Tomtom Sat Navs as it was originated by the originators of the Tomtom Company. You can find a Mapcode for a position using an App which has Mapping similar to Google. The App will tell you the Mapcode and Long/Lat of the position you want.

As an example the map code of the centre gate at Buck House is DH.FX and the long Lat is 51.50156 -0.14129. If you enter DH.FX into search on a Tomtom it will take you to the gate. The Mapcodes are so accurate you can almost identify individual spaces in a car park. The System works worldwide.

OP
OP
Gunner

Gunner

Free Member
Oct 11, 2016
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer c544gt
Exp
1 year
Thanks for advice. Will sit tomorrow and have a dabble with the Garmin and co ordinates

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Usually, we are entering a Lat and Long to find a known position which is also on the poi list ie supermarket or ACSI campsite. I always turn on that poi and check that the lat and long ends at the relevant poi marker
Mike
If you have your destination in your Satnav as a poi, then why not select the poi rather than entering the co-ordinates?

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
that presumes you also have the address, in which case why not enter that?

I recall as a scout many years ago misreading a map, where all we were given were grid references, quite unusually the south oxford area has the same numbers on both sides of the map, so a transposed number (either read wrong or given incorrectly) would have you potentially walking a long way too far o_O

some folk seem to be determined to use coordinates, I personally don't get it, but then we still like to have a map on our laps to check out sat nags as well :)(y)

If you are selective in that you know the source of the Coordinates is good you know the reliability of them and I personally find them to be pretty much exact, however, I do also believe in having a Map to hand if only to observe what and where you are passing by, it’s very easy for some folk to follow a SatNavs instructions and not having a clue as to where they are.

Additionally, an Address is only as good as its source! It can be entered incorrectly and area codes outside of the UK are very unreliable.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back