Government to ban old tyres on heavy vehicles. (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Seven year old tyre off my 2013 Pilote. Plenty of meat but not to be trusted ......can you see the cracked wall ?

Replacing immediately. Al
It’s amazing how these things degrade.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Be interesting to see if a corresponding ban on sales of tyres 'out of date' is proposed, bet its not!
Retailers should however 'step up' and start quoting the 'change by' date of any tyre sold to enable us to understand the stock age.
They should always quote Short DOT code dates.

I buy from tyreleader they always list them as shorr shelf life

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Seven year old tyre off my 2013 Pilote. Plenty of meat but not to be trusted ......can you see the cracked wall ?

Replacing immediately. Al
Looking at the cracking on those tyres shows the farcical build quality of these Camper/motorhome specific tyres. IMHO They're a load of bollocks designed to get more money out of fools.

I buy cheaper, replace more often & wouldn't drive out of my gate with cracked tyres, oh & I used to be a tyre fitter, so I know my way around these things.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You should see the tyres on my trailer..... Sidewalls look like a road map, the 6mm deep tread is starting to seperate from the carcass.
23 year old Tubeless 10" mini car tyres which are permenantly subject to UV and still hold air.
They have outlived the indespension units which callapsed with age.

But its only used as a garden trailer behind, or even in front of (2 towball) , the lawn tractor.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
t says in the link that retread must be date stamped at the date of recutting..... WHY?
No it says that they must be dated from when they are retreaded which I take to mean remoulds?
any truck on 10 year old tyres would be on rims as they should have done 2,5 million miles by then

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No it says that they must be dated from when they are retreaded which I take to mean remoulds?
any truck on 10 year old tyres would be on rims as they should have done 2,5 million miles by then
I take retreaded as recut.
Truck tyres have the ability to be recut so getting many more miles from the same tyre.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
This could apply to heaver motorhomes as they are taxed as "Private HGV". They consider anything over 3.5T as HGV. On the other hand I think it is a sensible idea and would not like to be using older tires anywhere.
They are not goods vehicles subject to plating and testing as goods vehicle , they just stick them in the phgv category for excise licence .

Deleted User
I take retreaded as recut.
Truck tyres have the ability to be recut so getting many more miles from the same tyre.

Retreading is not a recut, I have a re cutting machine which I can use to cut more depth into an existing tread.
I cannot retread a tyre which is a remould of a new tread onto an existing casing.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Found this video showing how tyres are remoulded here in the UK, funny thing is the presenter seemed familiar, last time I saw him was when he was reviewing Swift MH's, they used him for years for their annual model roll outs.
Should we trust his reviews? :unsure:would you buy one?
LES

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018
West Wiltshire
Funster No
Exp
Long time
Would never fit a remould/retread or re cut front steer tyres on a commercial, infact gave up re cutting tyres as you can't get as good a price on the casing when new are fitted. ( They give you a credit for good casings so they can be remoulded ) .
There used to be some dire remoulds for cars, stomil were one of them, I knew a few people who had them de laminate, never went flat, but we'll out of shape though.
The big Tyre manufacturers do a good contract for big fleets of vehicles, I know Goodyear are contracted for wilts and Dorset busses, and Michelin now own tructyre, and ats.
Personally I have only had 2 tyres shred while driving, both weren't fitted on my vehicles, both were on hgv drive axles and we're retreads.
It is always worth paying more for good first life tyres, it just makes sense to me anyhow.
The worst people running old tyres these days are the vintage vehicle people, no mots needed, so no checks except for owner, also all this paint and Tyre dressings applied to make them look good does rot the rubber, and hide any cracks or damage.

Jan 7, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vintage
Exp
I learnt about date codes on tyres recently. Check yours would be my advice!

Driving along yesterday, we heard a very alarming bang, followed by some very interesting handling characteristics, as well as a burning rubber smell.

Thankfully I could slow down and pull over quite quickly, but if it was on a bend or windy road, I think it could have been a lot worse :(

Tyre changed, underwear washed, all sorted :)

2020-07-25 10.22.38.jpg

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Have driven motors with retreads on the drive axel never a problem, trailer tyres they would put the recut on the middle axel. Now days a lot are using the Chinese import tyres like golden crown. Would they be better then retreads ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back