Got to be a way.... But how... ?? (1 Viewer)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
You know the situation, A "Funster" is good enough to organise a Rally/Meet..... Advertises the venue... The dates.. Times etc.. :thumb:

About 60 funsters put their names down, and over the months some more are added, and a few ask to be taken off the list for what ever reason...

And when the Rally/Meet day arrives loads don`t turn up, and have not let the Rally organisers know they wont be coming... :Sad:

Which is a shame, as a lot of rally`s have a limit on numbers, and some organisers arrange entertainment and other activity`s... for the members benefit...

Rally organisation`s take a lot of time and effort for the benefit of member...

How could the practice of putting your name down and not turning up, be stamped out.. ???

On restricted numbers, even with a reserve list some dont turn up,,, and some who put their names down on the reserve list think they wont get in/on... so organise some thing else... which is fair enough as long as they let the organiser know, and are taken off the reserve list..

How can this practice be over come.. ??? :RollEyes:

Deposit... ???..... Advertise the meet, but only take names a few weeks before the meet.. ??? .... First to arrive at the gate on the day, and when numbers are at what has been set, turn people away... :Blush:

Shows are a different kettle of fish,,,,, you pay up front and turn up or lose your deposit..

But what about the ordinary rally in a field.... which are becoming more popular...

Is a deposit the way to go... ???

What say you... :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
No idea Mo..

I organised a meet in 2009, and out of about a dozen who said they were coming.. one couple turned up.. :Sad:

On another occasion, in 2007, while a Facts member, I organised one and I couldn't find space for the numbers that turned up .. :Doh:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't do rally's so not really the one to comment but I would think if someone is seriously going , a deposit or even the full amount is not out of the question, you are not talking loads of money but if they don't turn up at least you are not out of pocket.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
No easy answer, even for the experienced.

A few weeks ago we went on our first MCC weekend rally. The stewards expected about 20 vans and over 40 turned up. Happily there was plenty of space.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Prepayment can be the only way to go, then funds donated to the rally charity if cancelled or no show, most of us now have paypal accounts, even if we have to add a few £'s for the paypal fees

And follow on the rally thread, naming the no shows, the genuine will already have posted or PMed the organisers to say they are not going so can be shown as cancelled or apologies given, the rest need a warning, followed by a possible rally ban if they do it again (am I getting a bit too severe now?)

Having not organised a meet or rally, although I have heard of the no show practice I did not realise the problem was this bad

Some people in life in general have become so rude, a sad fact of modern life, my hope is that the kind of person who just doesn't show up would not be much fun at the rally anyway

In small defence of a few, possibly me now I have stuck my head over the parapet, memory is not what it was, I might genuinely forget to go:Eeek:

On a similar vein, will they be the same people who post a question and never seem to return with thanks or any follow up

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Pay up front is one solution.. .. but how ?

when booking.. do members send a cheque, bank transfer or paypal.. ?

It's easy for Jim , he is set up to take payments.. not easy for the ordinary member..

Frankly I think you just have to accept that there will be xx% no shows..

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I would be happy to pay up front. As we have done for some of Haggers meets.

Having just pulled out of two meets in succession due to house moving, if I had paid a deposit and lost it as no one else came forward to take my place, I would accept that and get on with it.

When we pay Haggers via PayPal, there are no fees as there is the option to tick paying a friend. I don't think Haggers pays a fee either, but if the organiser had to this should be built into the rally fee.

At the end of the day it is up to the individual organiser. If you want to go to their meet then you go under their rules.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
[HI]Don't do rally's so not really the one to comment [/HI]but I would think if someone is seriously going , a deposit or even the full amount is not out of the question, you are not talking loads of money but if they don't turn up at least you are not out of pocket.:thumb:

You should try a rally... you dont know what you are missing..

Great fun, with like minded people... :thumb:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Prepayment can be the only way to go, then funds donated to the rally charity if cancelled or no show, most of us now have paypal accounts, even if we have to add a few £'s for the paypal fees

And follow on the rally thread, naming the no shows, the genuine will already have posted or PMed the organisers to say they are not going so can be shown as cancelled or apologies given, the rest need a warning, followed by a possible rally ban if they do it again (am I getting a bit too severe now?)

Having not organised a meet or rally, although I have heard of the no show practice I did not realise the problem was this bad

Some people in life in general have become so rude, a sad fact of modern life, my hope is that the kind of person who just doesn't show up would not be much fun at the rally anyway

In small defence of a few, possibly me now I have stuck my head over the parapet, memory is not what it was, I might genuinely forget to go:Eeek:

On a similar vein, will they be the same people who post a question and never seem to return with thanks or any follow up

Well said. :thumb:

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi Mo,

As a old hand at organising meets we total agree with you regarding funsters putting their names down to come and then not turning up (illness & house moves etc. excepted).

As you say these do take a lot of organising and in the case of Misterton this is a campsite which is part of the livelihood of the owners Phil & Chris who do everything they can to accommodate the funsters but still have regular campers week in and week out as well as casuals who ring them for pitches, the point being that if x number of funsters say they wish to come and spaces are allocated on the campsite and then don't turn up (without telling us) then Chris could have taken casual campers and still get revenue.

We appreciate that meets are advertised early in the calendar mainly to get an idea as to whether the meet is worth doing, but as the date gets nearer a PM would be appreciated if funsters cant come so that anyone on a reserve list gets the chance to come.

We personally do not like the idea of taking a deposit for any of the meets that we do as no one knows whats round the corner which prevents attendance.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
For the meets I put on I sell tickets with payment accepted by paypal, cheque or cash

Those who pay get a security number.

When they arrive their security number and reg number are checked agin the spread sheet.

Easy simple and easy to maintain :thumb:

I still get no shows but at least the 'x's are covered so I am not fiscally penalised for organising the meet

Any and all 'profits' from meets I organise goes to Air Ambulance, but with ticket prices kept to an absolute minimum the OTT column rarely exceeds needs by much !

Having said that, the last meet we had in Thetford raised a total of over £1400 with all the bits and bobs added up ! :thumb:

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
IMHO, taking deposits for meets is taking the first steps to making FUN go down the road of CC, C &CC and MCC where you need a Treasurer etc which is not what FUN is about, Funsters are charge only the fee negotiated with the owners of the site i.e. no profit made so no need for accounts etc. Ok so some don't have the decency to inform meet organisers that they are not coming, we can live with that but a PM would be nice especially if the meet is limited.
As I said earlier no one know what will happen in the future between putting your name down for meet and the time the meet happens. If funsters don't turn up then that's their loss, we do everything we can to give those who do a good time and hopefully have FUN

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
I would be happy to pay up front.
Having attended to joint RVOC/Funsters meet at Southport I was horrified to learn that 20 Funster units did not show up - only Dally posted his reason (and having thieving scrots breaking into your van is a very sickening reason)
I am a strong believer in naming and shaming - but realise that the unexpected does crop up and in the middle of a crisis the last thing you think of is PMing the rally.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
It is not the money, its the hanging around waiting for "no shows" and the feeling of being let down when people don't let you know. Or tell lies then turn up at another show held at the same time. No need for it whatsoever. Anything can happen at any time just let the organiser know, its not too much to ask is it? My memory is shot to pieces I don't remember what I had for breakfast today let alone yesterday but when I have a list of unticked arrivals I find that upsetting.
I would not go down the route of taking deposits but would hope people think more about the effects on others.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As above. No problem paying up front, no show loose your money!:thumb:

I agree, but also with Roger..

it's not about the money.. it certainly wasn't in my case when only one couple showed up..

it's the feeling of being let down.. the waiting and hoping for the no-shows.. it's hurtful when people promise to do something then don't.. and don't even have the decency to let you know or appologise.

Frankly, for a while it put me off organising again.. but then I thought, why should the few spoil it for the majority..

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Perhaps putting your name down if the rally is a long way in advance to show interest then definite confirmation & pay deposit (Paypal is easy & immediate) a week or two before for a definite pitch. Maybe if lots of spare capacity also have the option for more to turn up last minute after checking with rally organiser/steward on dedicated mobile number? It's not always possible to get wi fi so maybe can't rely on PM & someone always being online. If the arrival details are also agreed by phone then less need for someone always to be on site for assistance on arrival. Any willing Funsters staying that day on site could take a turn at looking after the phone & arranging pitching details/greeting arrivals so organiser & stewards get some free time too! Gets more Funsters involved (think that would be a good thing?!) & the easier & more successful it is for all concerned could mean more rallies take place so more chances to have fun!:thumb:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
this is ano brainer, I organise events occasionally and in our world payment is taken when booked and refunds are made on cancellation if the place can be resold to somebody else, this means any outlay budgeted for by the organiser is covered. this also ensures that folks do not book a place on the off chance they can make it.

I hope we get to a meet eventually, if I do I would be happy with the above procedure

Dave

Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
We have no problem with paying up front, if that's what it takes. We were due to attend the Highland meet at Inverness. But due to hospital appointment & tests had to inform Margaret we could not make it. Had a deposit been paid we would have willingly accepted the forfeit. Nobody knows what's around the corner in life. You can only plan as you see fit at the time, with the best intentions. We also agree, organisers go to great lengths to arrange these meets, their own time, plus arranging entertainment etc etc, to make it the best they can for the people attending. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Bear in mind.. Meets and Rallies are different..

A meet is simply a site where funsters agree to 'meet' .. there is no payment required to be made to the organiser .. bookings, deposit if required, and payment is usually made directly to the site owners.

There is no rally marshal , just the person who first suggested the meet... they are not involved with the money side.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Just to add - ringing mobiles can be expensive for those of us not on a contract but so texting might be better most of the time. In our area, however, texts can take a day to receive so would be good to still have the option of speaking to someone too::bigsmile:

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Pay up front is one solution.. .. but how ?

when booking.. do members send a cheque, bank transfer or paypal.. ?

It's easy for Jim , he is set up to take payments.. not easy for the ordinary member..

Frankly I think you just have to accept that there will be xx% no shows..[/QUO

I'm am new to Fun, but reading through the various threads, it seems that members put their name's on the list and wait then to see if they can make the meet nearer the time.

When they cancel at the last minute they are depriving others that may wish to go and that have made other less attractive plans.

The final list could be made up with 4 weeks to go and all confirmations should then be liable for a "deposit" / "fine".

This would then give a clearer idea of the numbers and stop members waiting for the weather forecast or if their pal can make it.

The reserve list can then be activated and give them plenty of time to plan ahead.

The "deposit/fine" would paid to Motorhomefun for a charity donation of their choice.

We all have had to cancel at some time or other and s**t happens but £££ out of pocket would deter the chancers. Even a fiver could be enough.

Name and shame persistent offenders, then organisers can block their attempts to join a meet.
If it continues "as is" the people who use their time to organise these meets will be put off and field / pub owners may pull the plug.

Power to the elbow of the great people that organise these meets.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Rules and regulations do not make up for good manners, it seems to be a fact of life these days. ME is important, the rest, who cares.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I haven`t been to a meet or rally, but understand the effort and time that organizers must put in, I say it is extremely bad manners not to inform the organizer that they don`t intend to go , I thought motor homers were better than this, obviously not, shame on those that do this, consideration doesn`t cost anything.

Good luck to the organizers of future rally /meets hope that some on here have taken heed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back