Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Folks

My water tank gauge said the tank was at 50% so I decided, seeing as how I'm away for a couple of days, I would fill it up. So stuck the hose (softened water) into the leetle hole and, because our water pressure is rubbish, walked away to do something else. While I was away the tank filled up and water began running out of the filler hole. Turned off the hose and then noticed there was something dripping down underneath the middle of the van. Went inside the van and there was a large pool of water in the dinette and under the seats. Water EVERYWHERE!

Horrified, I quickly cleaned as much of it up as I could then, remembering that the fresh water tank is underneath the seats in the dinette, I lifted the cushions, unscrewed the wooden cover and saw that the water was leaking out of the top of the tank, through the large screw-in plug on the top of the tank. (See pic for an example although this is not taken from my tank).

I was under the impression that these plugs are sealed and will therefore not leak. However, if I press down on the tank I can hear air whistling through the seals on both plugs on the top of the tank.

Is this normal or should I be yelling loudly at the dealer I bought it from (or Dethleffs!)?

Cheers
Chris
tank-plug.jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So you obviously don't have a tank overflow pipe, that would have been sensible but the manufacturers do like to cut costs but still sell them at top dollar.

As far as your top is concerned I would say that yes it should be sealed but I have read this same complaint from others so you are certainly not going to be the only one that isn't.

Martin

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
First thing on the list BEFORE filling the water tank, IS THE BUNG SCREWED UP TIGHT, &WASHER INTACT?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kenwardc
Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
So you obviously don't have a tank overflow pipe, that would have been sensible but the manufacturers do like to cut costs but still sell them at top dollar.
Martin
Hi Martin

I know so little about these things I wouldn't know an overflow pipe if it jumped up and bit me on the bum! Happy to source new "bungs" if that's what they are called. There are two on the tank, one larger one on the left and another slightly smaller on the right. There is also a small knurled wheel next to the large one - I have absolutely no idea what that's for.... I guess the words "read the manual" come to mind... :D

Cheers
Chris

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kenwardc
Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
First thing on the list BEFORE filling the water tank, IS THE BUNG SCREWED UP TIGHT, &WASHER INTACT?
Hi there - only problem is that it's a little painful getting to the top of the tank to check they are tight before every refill. I have to removed the seating in the dinette to do this... <groan>

Cheers
Chris

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Hi there - only problem is that it's a little painful getting to the top of the tank to check they are tight before every refill. I have to removed the seating in the dinette to do this... <groan>

Cheers
Chris

Me too, remove the table, strip the upholstery, raise the Lid , 10 mins max (wiping up the spill 1/2 hour min ):doh:

Got the T Shirt

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Martin

I know so little about these things I wouldn't know an overflow pipe if it jumped up and bit me on the bum! Happy to source new "bungs" if that's what they are called. There are two on the tank, one larger one on the left and another slightly smaller on the right. There is also a small knurled wheel next to the large one - I have absolutely no idea what that's for.... I guess the words "read the manual" come to mind... :D

Cheers
Chris
An overflow pipe would be a pipe in the top of the tank to allow water to flow through to outside when the tank is full rather than filling the van up as well(y) I think most vans have this feature.

The knurled wheel could be something to do with dumping the tank contents down to the last 20 litres to meet payload requirements but could be wrong so YES read the manual:LOL:

Martin

Upvote 0

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I'd have thought that the tank would have to be able to draw in air from somewhere or the water wouldn't come out of the taps ... :unsure::cautious:

Upvote 0

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
The tank will need a breather so could be built into the bung.

Upvote 0

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
My Dethleffs has a water tank under the double dining seat. It has 2 very large caps. They are not sealed but are hard to unscrew. I think they are for cleaning/fitting pumps etc. The knurled nut is to quickly empty the water tank. Remember to do it up again. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kenwardc
Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
Me too, remove the table, strip the upholstery, raise the Lid , 10 mins max (wiping up the spill 1/2 hour min ):doh:

Got the T Shirt
HAHA Point made. Yes - not only did it take me a long time to wipe up the spill but the stress nearly killed me!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kenwardc
Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
An overflow pipe would be a pipe in the top of the tank to allow water to flow through to outside when the tank is full rather than filling the van up as well(y) I think most vans have this feature.

The knurled wheel could be something to do with dumping the tank contents down to the last 20 litres to meet payload requirements but could be wrong so YES read the manual:LOL:

Martin
Hmmmm.... now where did I put that manual.... <bolt>

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kenwardc
Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
My Dethleffs has a water tank under the double dining seat. It has 2 very large caps. They are not sealed but are hard to unscrew. I think they are for cleaning/fitting pumps etc. The knurled nut is to quickly empty the water tank. Remember to do it up again. Hope that helps.
Hi there - have you ever had the water leak out through the large caps? Question - when letting the water out of the tank, where is the outflow pipe? Does it just drop out underneath the van?

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had this experience earlier this year when filling our water tank and found water on the floor inside coming from under the kitchen unit, as I'd just fitted a new tap the first thought was that the pipework was weeping but it wasn't (fortunately ... I'd have been VERY annoyed and have been severely chastising myself if it had been the cause!). We found eventually that one of the large red fresh water tank screw caps (similar to your black bung) wasn't sitting right and allowing water past it once the tank was full whereas it should instead have 'back flowed' out of the filler inlet as we don't have an overflow pipe. We do, however, have a pipe running to the edge of the filler inlet which is a 'breather' I assume as its certainly not of a large enough diameter to let any excess water out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kenwardc
Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
We had this experience earlier this year when filling our water tank and found water on the floor inside coming from under the kitchen unit, as I'd just fitted a new tap the first thought was that the pipework was weeping but it wasn't (fortunately ... I'd have been VERY annoyed and have been severely chastising myself if it had been the cause!). We found eventually that one of the large red fresh water tank screw caps (similar to your black bung) wasn't sitting right and allowing water past it once the tank was full whereas it should instead have 'back flowed' out of the filler inlet as we don't have an overflow pipe. We do, however, have a pipe running to the edge of the filler inlet which is a 'breather' I assume as its certainly not of a large enough diameter to let any excess water out.
Hey there - mine also has the two large red screw-in caps on the top of the tank. However, the left hand one definitely leaks around the edge of the cap. I'm not sure whether the one on the right does too. Sounds like the caps or seals need replacing?

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hey there - mine also has the two large red screw-in caps on the top of the tank. However, the left hand one definitely leaks around the edge of the cap. I'm not sure whether the one on the right does too. Sounds like the caps or seals need replacing?
Ours don't have seals, they just rely on them being a tight fit and you making sure they are well and truly screwed down well! Stupid design ... after our escapade we did consider putting some sealant on them to make the totally watertight if we continued to have a problem but fortunately once they were 'screwed into submission' they've not leaked!

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I'm feeling your pain, similar thing happened to me a few months ago. Water got extremely close to the mains power & managed to fry the battery charger in the process, nightmare.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kenwardc
Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
Ours don't have seals, they just rely on them being a tight fit and you making sure they are well and truly screwed down well! Stupid design ... after our escapade we did consider putting some sealant on them to make the totally watertight if we continued to have a problem but fortunately once they were 'screwed into submission' they've not leaked!
Super - well - I made sure the one that was leaking was extremely tight before I put the seat covers back on. What a job to get the water out. I had to remove the wood covers from both sides of the dinette to get to the pools of water on top of the tank. It had also collected down the sides of the tank on the floor and that was the most difficult job to get it dry. Bugger!! <groan> - It better not happen again.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kenwardc
Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
I'm feeling your pain, similar thing happened to me a few months ago. Water got extremely close to the mains power & managed to fry the battery charger in the process, nightmare.
Fortunately the water sort-of pooled on top, ran down the side nearest the hab door and pooled in the little cupboard under the small seat. The only thing in there was a bunch of shoes which of course got soaked. The carpet we have in the doorway was so sodden it's been in the sun the whole day today and still is nowhere near dry. Water didn't go too near any electrics as far as I'm aware and everything still appears to be working fine. Fingers crossed!

Upvote 0

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
Hi there - have you ever had the water leak out through the large caps? Question - when letting the water out of the tank, where is the outflow pipe? Does it just drop out underneath the van?
I never fill the tank that full except to clean. Then I keep a close eye on it. When the release valve is opened, water escapes by a pipe which is part of the tank right underneath. It is purposely designed this way to cause maximum inconvenience so that if you want to attach a pipe to it, you have to crawl underneath. You can then just slip a 28mm convoluted pipe over the spigot to direct the water wherever you want. In my case that is usually over me as the pipe is like a hose. Blink and it knots!

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Your error was to leave water running unattended and, most probably with a slightly loose inspection cover. Many new vans don’t have an overflow for the fresh water. There must be a reason (prevent risk of contamination, perhaps) but I don’t know why. Without an overflow you can create a small head of water above the cover within the filler pipe if you over-fill. You should only need to check that the inspection cover is tight once, unless it’s opened again, and it should not need to be excessively tight. Once sealed it ought not to leak but, if it does, run some water off if you fill it to overflowing so that there is no water left in the filler that is above the cover. You should only be travelling with enough water for the journey (not a full tank) so there should be little chance of water sloshing around and breaking through the seal then.

Your knurled wheel is probably a drain cock, for emptying the contents. When open, any water will simply pour onto the ground below. It may be that ½ to ¾ of a turn will drop all but a part of your contents, leaving a modest amount for travelling. Your owner’s manual should explain.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back