Google spy (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I checked my Google time line and it had my trip to the dentist shown clearly on a map. OK I know they do this, but it had it marked as on a motorcycle, so how did they know that?

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I have been thinking, and I reckon their software could tell when I filtered past the standing traffic, and then moved faster than a push bike. It did give me a shock though.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
It amazes me why people give google et.al all their data so easily. Personally I use safari or Firefox as a browser DuckDuckGo go as a search engine will not have a google account not even for you tube. It really is a dystopian technology.

You can see what ā€˜theyā€™ already know about you and where you go, imagine linking your health to insurance companies (do you go to the gym regularly take regular walks, how often do you go to a pub etc, how fast do you drive how useful that data would be to insurance companies.

Am I being paranoid? Probably not, why else would a big organisation collect so much data itā€™s certainly not a benign activity.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
When going round corners on a bike the phone leans over. There are gyroscopes in it that can sense the tilt. šŸ˜ŽšŸ‘

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The most useful feature for me is the way Google links photos I take with the place they were taken. They do this by connecting the time the photo was taken with the location the phone provides. All my photos are stored in the Google cloud and I can search them by place name.

For example, I was watching the Scenic Railway Journeys program last night, which was about Sicily, and it mentioned Ragusa. Searching in Google Photos for Ragusa throws up our visit there and the photos I took. And these are photos taken by my camera not the phone, although it would have included any if I had. It basically catalogues my photos automatically and is very useful. The privacy side doesn't bother me one jot. :)

Screenshot_20210116-083117_Photos.jpg

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Silicon Valley increasing control over us all.

Along with the nicer things of their tech - as per DBK above - comes the spying when we do not want to be spied, the specific targeting of our personal preferences and much more disturbing, the censorship of free speech.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I know it's probably easy to get past it to someone who is determined, but saying insurance folks could use it falls down as they can't access it without your Google password.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
And these are photos taken by my camera not the phone, although it would have included any if I had. It basically catalogues my photos automatically and is very useful.
Google (and others) can use AI on a photos content to match with known landmarks and time & date of the picture if thereā€™s a track of the journey.
Scary but interesting.
My employer facilitates Sky using live face recognition on video feeds - Sky used it for one of the recent royal weddings. I think it freaked people out with the legalities and peopleā€™s anonymity. Not seen it used publicly since.

edit: hereā€™s a pre-wedding article about Sky

Reactions: DBK
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Google doesn't always get it right. The other day it asked me to rate a shop that I had only walked past without entering.

I do find this excessive corporate surveillance both intrusive and disturbing.

The energy consumed by the server farms is also bad for the environment yet they get away with it. Not sure if this is true but I read that 40% of Ireland's electricity is used for server farms of corporations that use Ireland as a tax haven. Crazy.

Where are Extinction Rebellion when you want them?

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
If you think Google record your every move, you cannot imagine what data our agencies collect.
Turning off the GPS on your mobile I am told does not stop data collection.
I remember using data to verify locations, before even more accurate GPS recording.
Even a simple mobile with no GPS can triangulate your position, a little less accurate but gives a reasonable picture of your activities, even to the extent of time in one location.
I see people here concerned about recording time in the Schengen area, forget passport scan and record, your mobile will confirm and record your exit and entry too.

Reactions: DBK
Oct 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway EB
Exp
New
I live next door to a pub so it frequently asks me how I rate the Coach & Horses. This is especially irritating as it's not bright enough to realise the pub is closed due to corinavirus!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back