Google now to decimate the recruitment industry (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Yes, in the world of contractors many guys secure contracts through their own network but are typically steered to a preferred supplier recruitment agency to drive the contract engagement - hence they get garage loads of commission for doing Jack.....

Again in the world of contracting recruitment agents are typically of low quality and anything to move the quality bar up the maturity curve is welcome in my view - so shake ‘em up Google
This would be a good time to check your own agencies out too, some sit with your week or months in hand, for many contractors this can be a large amount of cash. Google will be putting pressure on the agencies cash flow and many dont have much of a flow to begin with. If the agency goes tits up so will your month in hand.

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
This would be a good time to check your own agencies out too, some sit with your week or months in hand, for many contractors this can be a large amount of cash. Google will be putting pressure on the agencies cash flow and many dont have much of a flow to begin with. If the agency goes tits up so will your month in hand.
Definitely a risk, and in some cases a risk for perm’ staff....

However, it’s a hard risk to manage if you are unable to directly engage, but working for known brands (e.g. Resource Solutions, Lorien, Hays, etc) can typically moderate the risk in a positive direction - well you’d like to think it would :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Some firms like using an agency as it puts them 1 step away from any problems. Ie if firm has a load come in that has to go they can off load the problem to an agency. The agency will ring the driver at 6pm saying the load is due to leave at 7pm get in as quickly as you can. The firm doesn’t care when you last slept etc only if it shows on your tachometer/digit card. Your sent out with the load and they have no problems it’s down to the agency.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Many construction companies will only use agency labour, sil had to start his own 1 man ltd. company to get his present job.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Many construction companies will only use agency labour, sil had to start his own 1 man ltd. company to get his present job.
Think a lot to do with firms avoiding tax and national insurance, ie employers contributions plus holidays etc.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Think a lot to do with firms avoiding tax and national insurance, ie employers contributions plus holidays etc.

"Firms avoiding tax and national insurance, ie employers contributions plus holidays etc." Says it all really!! :mad:

Add in zero hrs contracts and we are back to the pre Union days when workers were exploited to the hilt and the fat cats got fatter!! :(:(:(

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
"Firms avoiding tax and national insurance, ie employers contributions plus holidays etc." Says it all really!! :mad:

Add in zero hrs contracts and we are back to the pre Union days when workers were exploited to the hilt and the fat cats got fatter!! :(:(:(
On the flip-side there's many a contractor doing OK.......more than OK in some cases!

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
i will admit to knowing bugga all about the recruitment industry/contractors etc, just cant help thinking that a world run by google, facebook and twitter is rapidly heading our way...........

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
On the flip-side there's many a contractor doing OK.......more than OK in some cases!
Yep..my son managed to take redundancy from his permanent position in the US and returned to the UK recently. He decided on contracting here rather than taking a number of good job offers.(y)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years

Absolutely, saves on cost and you can be booted instantly. Sil's working on 3 month contracts, and being treated like shit, got asked the other day to write the rams for another contractor, said yes but you will sign them off, they changed their minds.

Before anyone asks, money that's why. Loads of work and loads of money in London.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Lets face it SF the only reason that Google is in court is that Apple cant keep up with the technology of it's adversary....;)

It would appear Apple let their adversary make all the cock ups then hoover up the good stuf :)
Clever ehh

roamingman

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Angus
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
2012, tents, caravan. 1990
I do not DO FB GOOGOL or TWATER (twiter) never ever ever ever ever worked for an agency and work for them so thay can earn money of my hard work, always found my own work, even if was for less money.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Yeah but are you happy with a inferior equipment.
You need to embrace change, not fight it :)
Inferior equipment in some cases for sure ... but it's the OS that's the attraction to most of us. Massively more popular than ios ... and used in so many different devices ...

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
@airwave I fully agree with the +'ive benifits that you have highlighted in being a contractor.

However, the arrangements you have (management of your tax, NI and pension) with your agency is not typical for many contractors. Hence, many contractors work with brand agencies who typically arrange the contract and little else for their commsion.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Yes that’s ok but some people can not afford to loose a shift unpaid.
You was right but in my experience people who do that are usually the first to be dropped off when not needed due to less work. You’re obviously doing ok with agency work, but equally there is the ones who are not.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
My Grandson worked as a care assistant in a care home for the "disadvantaged/impaired adults - all was fine and he was well treated and the residents well treated, the home was then sold to a foreign Company and his hours were cut, any overtime required wad now at basic rate instead of time+ a third and his workload massively increased as he now had to carry out the work of the cleaners & laundry staff who were sacked by the new owners. The standard of care and food for the residents was much reduced!

He left and and was taken on as a labourer by an agency to work for a well known company through said agency - he is on an "Zero hours" contract and is paid £8 per hour. He does 12 hour shifts and finds out which shifts are on offer for the next week on a Friday and would like to do 5 shifts a week but is usually offered only 4 or 3.

Sometimes his "allocated" shift is cancelled with only a few hours notice and some times after being at work for 5 or 6 hours he is sent home as not required. He is on call to cover for extra work and last week was called in at an hours notice as a shift was one man short - after 3 hours work he was told he would not be needed any more that day and to come back the next day for his next planned shift!

Welcome to the world of caring employers who treat their staff well!!!!!

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
But they are not employers....

Aren't they? :eek: - even so the "reputable" Company where he actually works are the ones who decide to employ people through the agency and treat them this way!! :(

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
One of the downsides of being a contractor is that at anytime you can get tapped on the shoulder and led to the door.

Some chaps don't like that risk, hence, they go back to 'permie' jobs with all the comforts (e.g. sick pay, holidays, work place pension, etc.)...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back