LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, I am a regular user and the new version is not as good as the old one... It may be sleek, but I cant see how you can "search nearby". I think one man and his oo mentioned it some time ago,,,

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, I am a regular user and the new version is not as good as the old one... It may be sleek, but I cant see how you can "search nearby". I think one man and his oo mentioned it some time ago,,,

That might have been my moan about large sections of A road now looking like minor roads, i.e. no colour-coding. It seems like only dual-carriageway sections are now guaranteed to get that honour.

For all the flack it deservedly took, at least Apple Maps gets that right.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
If you don't like the New Google Maps -

At the bottom right hand corner of the New Google Maps click on the 'Question Mark' symbol, red arrow pointing to it, and select 'Return to classic Google Maps'.

Simples!

Attachments

• Google Help.jpg
    Google Help.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

At the bottom right hand corner of the New Google Maps click on the 'Question Mark' symbol, red arrow pointing to it, and select 'Return to classic Google Maps'.

Simples!

But that's cheating! It looks different but I guess a lot of coffee and pumpkin seeds were consumed at Google HQ to come up with this so I'm going to give it a go. The cynic in me might think it is all about increasing advertising revenue somehow - but let's be charitable!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
As previously posted, it is CRAP, definately linked to advertising with pop ups on side etc.

Thanks for the reverse back button!

Peter

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
I reverted back too - well done for spotting the ?

Also did the feedback thingy and told them the new GM was sheehite......:roflmto:

Trikeman. :winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Simples!

Been doing that since they brought out the update.. but have you noticed that it doesn't work very well ?

The mouse pointer gets 'stuck' or hooked onto the image and it won't let go..

it looks like they tried to make it user friendly , or easy for knobs to use.. .. but it's now a pile of crap

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Based upon other google enhancements of things like mail and analytics interfaces; they won't have that 'Revert to' button there for long, couple of months at most.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Luddites
If you dont like it vote with your fingers and download an alternative if they loose enough to affect the advertising revenue they will change it back

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Still 3 years out of date!

6 years out of date for here...... I know because my neighbour is in her garden with her daughter and the daughter was last here from Canada 6 years go ..... also the car outside our house was sold in late 2007.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
It appears to be quite a lot more memory hungry than the old version too. Crashes my Firefox after about 5 mins use (ok, I do have quite a few tabs open & several other programs running). Win 7-32 4GB RAM.

The 'use old version' setting doesn't seem very persistent either - especially not if the browser crashes!

I'll give it a go on the 64bit 8GB laptop & see if that's a bit more stable. I have to keep my desktop on 32 bit for now because of some old programs I still need.

The transition in & out of street view using the mouse wheel to zoom in & out appears to have gone, unless I missed something in the short time I used it.

I also don't like the fact that the direction arrow in street view only goes forwards - you have to rotate the view 180 degrees rather than just reverse if you want to back up a bit.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Ours must be about 4 years out of date, we still had the caravan then:RollEyes:

Also, our postcode shows the neighbour's stone cottage which is 300 yards up from us.

Bill

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I reverted back to the classic version too. It is so much more user friendly, especially for coordinates and street view. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
The only good things about the new version are layers and greater number of places in view. But the detail is poorer and it does not mange my collection of poi's as well so I quickly reverted to the classic. However I do open my may in the new version sometimes if I want to see all my pois at one time. I have some sites in the same area on different pages in the classsic version due to the time they were added.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

Simples!

Thank gods you posted that - the new version was driving me nuts! :thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Interesting - I cannot see any difference and I don't have a question mark in the bottom right hand corner. I haven't made any changes to my settings recently and I have not noticed any 'creeping' modifications. Perhaps Google just knows better than to mess about with my maps?
::bigsmile:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I was using it as a daily tool but hate the new version, will make the switch back but fear as already stated by PJ that we'll be forced to use this new version at some point, hence the search for an alternative......

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
Like just about any update: not wanted, not needed and not better. It gets a big :thumbdown: from me too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back