Google Docs.. secure on line storage (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
For those who don't know about Google Docs...

This is a secure place to save these important docs that you can't afford to lose.. I save product codes, passwords, birth certificates, family history , etc etc

If you lost your laptop and backup disc, or suffered hard disc failure.. this could save the day ..

You can access from any computer and even email docs directly..

Types of files that you can upload:
Documents (up to 500KB)

* HTML files and plain text (.txt).
* Microsoft Word (.doc), Rich Text (.rtf), OpenDocument Text (.odt) and StarOffice (.sxw).

Presentations (up to 10MB from your computer, 2MB from the web, 500KB via email)

* Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt, .pps).

Spreadsheets (up to 1MB)

* Comma Separated Value (.csv).
* Microsoft Excel (.xls) files and OpenDocument Spreadsheet (.ods).

PDF Files (up to 10MB from your computer, 2MB from the web)

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Jim

Sounds like a great idea as i have been thinking about storing a copy of my motorhome documents online, V5, MOT, Etc but i never really new where so i will have a look at Google Docs sounds like the ideal place.

Do you know how secure they are or how the security is enabled.

Thanks

Braunston

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi, Jim

Sounds like a great idea as i have been thinking about storing a copy of my motorhome documents online, V5, MOT, Etc but i never really new where so i will have a look at Google Docs sounds like the ideal place.

Do you know how secure they are or how the security is enabled.

Thanks

Braunston

Hi

I'm not clued up on internet security,however, it has an https address which I believe means it's a secure site... but have a read here ..
Privacy and security : Keeping data private - Google Docs Help Center

A strong password is advisable, other than that I couldn't say..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
The only way I'd store valuable documents on the web is if they were securely encrypted before they were uploaded.No...On second thoughts, I wouldn't store any docs on the web.

Encrypt onto cd/dvd or store in a Bank vault.

Too much identity theft nowadays.

Passwords can be easily cracked with tools available on the web as I proved to a colleague today.

Last edited:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Without wishing to suggest anything negative about Google Docs - I am actually a great fan of the various google offerings - I personally would not use any free web site to save things that really mattered. Username and password alone provide only weak authentication, and are not hard to crack. If the data matters you need strong encryption and I would say strong authentication, such as that potentially given by using digital certificates, for example.

But for storing things that are not too sensitive, google docs may be fine.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Without wishing to suggest anything negative about Google Docs - I am actually a great fan of the various google offerings - I personally would not use any free web site to save things that really mattered. Username and password alone provide only weak authentication, and are not hard to crack. If the data matters you need strong encryption and I would say strong authentication, such as that potentially given by using digital certificates, for example.

But for storing things that are not too sensitive, google docs may be fine.

Fair comment, nothing I store is of any real value to others, site passwords, old family documents, various product keys .. but nothing sensitive like bank account information

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Fair comment there Guys.:thumb:

I certainly wouldn't store anything relating to personal records or property.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I use google docs, when I am away from home to back up work I have done on the road. However its common sense that you would not want to store really sensitive information outside of your care and control. But that said, I'd trust Google to look after my personal details before I'd trust this government ::bigsmile:

Don't worry too much about names and addresses, apart from a few full timers, everyone of our names and addresses are stored on a publicly accessible record called the electoral roll. Just think about all the information you have provided over the years, to doctors, dentists, schools, banks, employers, shops, garages, auto clubs, ISP's and police, just to name a few. There is tons of information about you out there, and i'd guess none of it is as safe as it might be on Googles servers. :Smile:

My advice about identity theft is as follows

1. Make up a new maiden name for your mother and use that when organisations insist on this info.
  2. Check your credit record once a month.
  3. Shred or burn all bank/tax/council etc letters, never throw out stuff with your details on it
  4. Never keep your address details in a wallet or handbag

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Thanks for all the comments they are very helpful,

My main reason for thinking about using Google Docs was as I said to store any documents that I may need if the originals were stolen while away travelling.

So in that vain any suggestions on what documents would/do you carry when traveling, and how do you secure them, and what if any backups do you use, and which ones of these would you definitely not put on Google Docs or any other web base storage.

Thanks,

Braunston

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi jim

Most people have different passwords for different things etc but.....................if you are going to put all your passwords into a google document and then protect that with one word - ie to get into your google documents then you might as well just have one password in the first place.

stew

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi jim

Most people have different passwords for different things etc but.....................if you are going to put all your passwords into a google document and then protect that with one word - ie to get into your google documents then you might as well just have one password in the first place.

stew

Hi Stew

Yes, good point, maybe I should have titled this post ..

Google Docs .. is it a secure site .. ?

I'm not advocating that it is secure, merely pointing out that I find it useful for storing stuff I don't want to lose and can access from another PC in the event of my lappy being stolen or lost.
I do use a backup drive, store on DVD and have hard copies but all of these can be lost .. especially from a motorhome..

For example, we have a dozens of documents for family research, census information, old birth, death and marriage certs. etc which has taken a lot of time to gather, all is in the public domain but to lose the info would be a big loss .. it is shared by many already so it's not sensitive information.

Use at your own discretion ..

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Any documents I want to access from anywhere, I encrypt and then email to myself.
Protected by my mail server security and the encryption security.
And I don't have anything worth stealing anyway - the ultimate security!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back