Google Chrome (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi anybody tried this new browser from Google? Been switching between it and IE8 beta certainly different from the format most other browsers use.

Very quick and uncluttered screen, but seems to be no way to import bookmarks from google.

Olley

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi anybody tried this new browser from Google? Been switching between it and IE8 beta certainly different from the format most other browsers use.

Very quick and uncluttered screen, but seems to be no way to import bookmarks from google.

Olley

Got a link Olley????

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Been using Chrome for about 3 months now.. For me it seems nice and quick, and the recent pages displayed as you open the browser is quite handy ( unless you have visited sites you should not have done of course ! LOL !! )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I have been using Google Chrome for a few days, and am so far very impressed. It is quick, and much less cluttered than most browsers.

I like the most used pages appearing on the Home tab. I also like the bar on the home page with bookmarks. And in answer to the comment above about visiting pages you are not meant to (!) it has a incognito facility, accessed by ctrl/shift and n .

And its good to use something from somewhere other than Microsoft!

Jeff O

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Chrome is certainly a fast browser, but hasn't been without its share of vulnerabilities. Be sure to have the latest version and keep it up to date.

Count me in the long-time "anything but Microsoft" crowd, but I'm sticking with FF.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just tried it and wasn't impressed.. not for me.. I'll stick with Firefox :winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I used to use firefox, tried Chrome but I am hooked by Opera.

Tried Opera, yes it is fast, has some nice features but lacks an in line spell checker, version 10 is out soon, hopefully with that feature..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I tried it, its seems OK, but Chrome has problems with a couple of sites that I visit so I un-installed it. To be honest Firefox is so damn good, it has great add-ons that I have come to rely upon, it has all my passwords learned that any new browser would have to be absolutely fantastic to make me change.

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Seeing Jim's comment prodded me to mention that I keep all my passwords on a thumb (flash) drive, using Keepass which stores them in a password protected, encrypted file. This allows me to take it to any PC &/or or use any browser (use the Portable Apps version of Keepass that will run on a flash drive). It also provides a backup in case of a dreaded hard drive crash.

Some folks don't store their passwords on their PC at all, preferring the flash drive approach. These folks are concerned about their PC (especially a laptop) falling into the wrong hands. I lugged and carried computers around the world for many years, but was never that paranoid. Maybe I was just lucky.

I'm also reminded to remind folks to backup your passwords, which can later be imported into the browser on a new PC/drive.

Last edited by a moderator:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Second impression

Just tried it and wasn't impressed.. not for me.. I'll stick with Firefox :winky:

Almost a year since I wrote that ... but I decided to try it again as Firefox was still crashing and Safari wouldn't load my banking page ..

Second impressions are that it's very fast, uncluttered and so far has opened every site I've gone to including the bank.. it also has a useful built in 'as you type spell checker' .. I'm impressed. :thumb:

Anyone else using and have you found any problems or vulnerabilities ?

jim

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim, been using it for about a year now, no real problems, just miss IE8's transferable bookmarks, just log in on another computer and there they are. And IE*'s ability to translate a web page as soon as you click on it.

Some maps don't display properly, like in MHFacts, you only get half a page. As you say very quick and uncluttered, nice. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back