Google Chrome web browser launched! (1 Viewer)

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Following on from some of their other apps and extensions Google have announced Chrome - their new web browser. I've seen it at a technology briefing and first impressions are very good indeed. It's very safe using virtualisation techniques to restrict a webpage to it's own tab. A rogue website or app simply can't get any further. Performance looks to be seriously impressive. Where IE (and FF to a lesser extent) can stall for seconds while they sort out memory Chrome seems to it almost instantly, another function of their new approach.
It will available for download later tonight and versions for Mac and Linux will be available soon.

Regards
Doug

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: I have just downloaded and installed Chrome. It appears to be faster than Firefox. It is DIFFERENT. But then again. Aren't they all? I will give it a try for a while to see how it goes. :winky:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hmmm,

Initial feeling here is I'm not overly impressed but I'll bear with it for a while.....

Only time will tell.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
Just downloaded, seems a lot quicker than others. Also transferred all my book marks. Fairly impressed at mo but we'll see.
Lin

OP
OP
Thepips

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I think a lot of the benefits aren't apparent because the problems with other browsers simply won't appear. I'm not going to miss "IE has encountered an error and requires a restart". It certainly seems a much less cluttered interface. The integrated search/address is pretty cool and the favourites tab works well so I've taken the leap and I've made it my default browser.

Regards
Doug

Last edited:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
I'm not going to miss "IE has encountered an error and requires a restart". I quite like the integrated search/address and the favourites tab so I've taken the leap and I've made it my default browser.

:Cool: I have been using it all day. The layout is a little different. But it hasn't locked up yet. I've been using mainly Firefox which ALSO encounters errors and has to shut down.
The only problem so far was logging into Yorkshire Bank. It stopped after I signed on and came to the Question of security:-

Error 500: Missing message for key "css.win.safari.version"

I like the + page that has thumbnails of the last few pages I have visited. :winky:

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
As reported in another thread, a vulnerability has been discovered in Google Chrome. See here. I'll wait before downloading it.

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
Found a problem with chrome. I use 123 reg for our garage's web site . 123 reg is not a site supported by chrome , only accepts I E or firefox:Wacko:
Lin

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Security problem with Chrome

From Computer Weekly

Google has downplayed reports of a security vulnerability in its newly-launched Chrome web browser.

Within a day of Chrome's launch, security researchers reported that Chrome had the same auto-download flaw as Apple's Safari web browser.

They said Chrome was developed using the same open-source WebKit rendering engine, and also allowed files to be downloaded automatically to the desktop.

Safari originally did not ask users' permission to download files, which meant malicious code could be dumped on desktops in so-called carpet bomb attacks.

A Google spokesman said this was not the case with Chrome, which was designed to avoid this problem by downloading files to a special download folder by default.
ADVERTISEMENT

He said some Windows Vista users had found Chrome was downloading files to the desktop, but this was only if the pre-existing browser had been set up that way.

In most cases this would not be an issue and can be fixed easily by changing the preference imported from Vista, he said.

Users can change setting to download files to the recommended default download folder or to prompt users to specify where to save each file before downloading.

Google said in a statement that even where Chrome imported Vista preferences, the operating system's own security mechanisms would help mitigate the risk.

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Sure thing, no problem. Did Google hire Bill Gates to run their PR department?

Kaya Koyu Walker

Free Member
Jul 7, 2008
Funster No
I'm using it and find it far faster than Firefox and IE, but then, we've always had problems with them both here in Turkey.

We'll suck it and see. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Thepips

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Found a problem with chrome. I use 123 reg for our garage's web site . 123 reg is not a site supported by chrome , only accepts I E or firefox:Wacko:
Lin

Err, shouldn't that be the other way round? Chrome is a browser not supported by 123Reg.
I am astonished that a company like that should choose not to follow global standards and not support Safari, Netscape Navigator, Chrome etc. Quite honestly I'd move to another provider if a significant number of potential customers couldn't see my site.

Regards

Doug

Last edited:

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
Err, shouldn't that be the other way round? Chrome is a browser not supported by 123Reg.
I am astonished that a company like that should choose not to follow global standards and not support Safari, Netscape Navigator, Chrome etc. Quite honestly I'd move to another provider if a significant number of potential customers couldn't see my site.

Regards

Doug

Hi Doug I probably didn't explain myself properly. When I try to log in using Chrome as my browser to amend or update my web site it is not supported. If I use chrome to view as a member of the public it is ok.
Lin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back