Google Chrome under attack from hackers. Update immediately. (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Here's a nice tinfoil hat for you Coolcats
il_570xN.2709638419_lpjs.jpg

Not quite the complete truth, and no context. Nor an accurate conclusion
Dark kitchens have been specifically created to service the rapid growth in the food delivery business such as Deliveroo, JustEat and UberEats.
They are cheaper because they have no dining area nor customer service staff.
They can operate out of town, and have a smaller footprint because of shared storage & equipment.
They allow a small brand to expand rapidly without taking on major debt.

The major chains, when involved, will have their own employees in the kitchen.
There is no theft of intellectual property.

It has nothing to do with business being stolen from dine-in restaurants, all about expanding their ability to facilitate take-away [and has probably saved some businesses during the lockdown].

Whether or not that's a good business decision will depend.
But it has nothing to do with data collection & sharing.
I don’t get why you feel the need to take the Micky and post a tin hat. You have no idea of my background. I did not say don’t use the internet I said choose what you use and clearly how you use it too many people just leak their personal life all over the place thinking ‘I have nothing to hide’. Ask yourself why do these companies when to hold your digital life because you can be sure it’s not because they are benign and never have plans to use it.

Go and have a look at Tim Berners Lee see what he has to say about privacy big companies and the selling of data. It may help you understand the issues. Or may be you would prefer to send him a tin hat as well.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Incidentally, the use of remote [dark] kitchens isn't a new idea for many chain restaurants - even quite high end ones.
Food can be prepared offsite, in bulk, quality assured, then frozen or chilled.
Distributed to the outlets for reheating & plating, meaning less kitchen space required, lower skilled staff [cheaper] employed, consistent standards throughout the chain.

At Heathrow, no open flame cooking is allowed - hence all Gordon Ramsay's T5 Plane Food restaurant is all cooked offsite.
I don’t disagree the market place is growing for dark kitchens but restaurants are being affected.

They’re stealing our customers and we’ve had enough’: is Deliveroo killing restaurant culture?​

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I agree with the Apple stance. And I used to be fine with Google. I put all my eggs in their basket. Better the devil you know, etc.

I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion that there's a point where they know too much. Every additional bit of data they have on you increases the value of other data they have about you. So instead I've started to spread my data around. Yes, more chance that any one bit will be misused and flogged off. But it'll only be a fragment of my 'profile' rather than giving one company enough data to infer what colour my underwear is today.

I won't use either. Apple with their locked down and zipped up walled garden is a nightmare, but they do seem to do a lot better on user privacy and security for the most part.
Google are much more open, but you are the product and they will sell everything they know about you.

Cloud services no matter the company are a nightmare if you have even the modicum of sense with regards to privacy, security and ongoing service.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I won't use either. Apple with their locked down and zipped up walled garden is a nightmare, but they do seem to do a lot better on user privacy and security for the most part.
Google are much more open, but you are the product and they will sell everything they know about you.

Cloud services no matter the company are a nightmare if you have even the modicum of sense with regards to privacy, security and ongoing service.
I do not get the anti Apple, walled garden locked down mentality that some have. It is a stable secure platform the products can be viewed as expensive but they last and the support from Apple is good. Our work and leisure activities are not hindered by Apple products and in many ways enhance the way we work and play, It works with a 12tb NAS we have, our Websites and it works with cloud based financial products we use, along with the MS office suite and we also run financials on the system.

We make our living using Apple products so what is it that is 'locked down' and terrible. There are corporates that use Apple along with Universities.

I do get the argument oh ' I cant get my screwdriver out and fiddle with it' but if you wish to do that as an 'Expert' go and buy another product which it appears people do but there are really not that many true computer 'Experts' out there. Before anyone says I don't know what I a taking about I have installed IBM servers (amongst others) database's and niche software and can program in various languages. But I want a quite life one where the technology works for us rather than me working for the technology and with the Apple product I rarely have to 'fix anything it just works.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It used to be very easy to hack Android phones. But for the past 1-2 years, it's been far cheaper to buy targeted hacks for Apple iOS than Android. This implies that the security of Apple iOS isn't as great as it used to be.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Why would anyone want to use anything from Google? It’s just a data collecting organisation. Same as Amazon. Use Fire fox, for a browser duck duck go as a search engine and buy stuff direct from companies instead of Amazon

even my Android powerd TV is not connected to the internet I use a media server and Apple TV.
Why chrome over FF?
Better user account security v less data collecting.
From a recent thread on browsers: -
Chrome is a more secure for your passwords and Firefox is safer, for example, regarding data held in cookies - like info that would be used for targeted ads.
i.e. (JFF) if you're a bloke and don't mind perfume & bra ads use Firefox.
I don't mind getting targeted ads so I use Chrome and get the account & password warnings for them being linked to hacks or them being less secure due to simplicity or my over use of a password.#
I also have a Google voice assistant, use Chrome in more than one place so having a linked profile suits me. ymmv

Some references (they're approx. no older than 12month and newer - the browser feature war never really ended so some info could be dated): -
Chrome vs Firefox: The Performance, Security & Privacy Comparison!
Privacy Showdown: Firefox vs Chrome
Chrome vs. Firefox vs. Microsoft Edge: Which browser gobbles up the most RAM?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Why chrome over FF?
Better user account security v less data collecting.
From a recent thread on browsers: -
Because you pay for convenience with your privacy. I use several devices including a phone, a Chromebook, a Win10 laptop and Win10 desktop, and being able to switch between them and find the same information across all platforms is nice... Yes, I'm a sucker...

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
It used to be very easy to hack Android phones. But for the past 1-2 years, it's been far cheaper to buy targeted hacks for Apple iOS than Android. This implies that the security of Apple iOS isn't as great as it used to be.
Oh err where do I buy a targeted attack from then?

Seriously the only secure computer or phone is one that’s not connected to the internet.

like all devices updates are required just as Gromett posted at the beginning of this thread you in the main you have to visit a site be ‘attacked’ or inadvertently downloading malware. Apple devices are pretty secure and locked down and the chances of being ‘hacked’ are slim (but not impossible). So part of an individuals responsibility is to ensure devices have the latest security updates Apple does not recommend antivirus but you can get software such as bit defender you can run to check your machine.

Also companies such as BT have security in place and flag up a dodgy site if you have inadvertently clicked on a link and that applies to both broadband connectivity and their mobile service.

So is it easy to hack a mobile or computer probably not unless the user is complicate in the process which includes the dodgy Wi-fi access point name that Gromett posted.

Edited to say all this just prompted me to run Bit Defender, one thing to note is a Mac will not let apps access all area's unless you let it as can be seen here

Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 09.49.45.png

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back