Google/Apple maps - no tolls (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
This last journey down France I used tolls ... and Sat Nav (Google/Apple Maps) pretty much took me where I expected to go.

On the way up north we decided to avoid tolls. It pretty soon became evident that both Google and Apple Maps found the most direct route regardless of size of road. This led to some ‘entertaining’ routes.

Is there a way of selecting e.g fastest non toll road that I’m not seeing?

I resorted to route planning by real maps in the end ... I quite enjoy that and I think it was it was more successful.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I don`t think you can on google maps, it`s either toll route or no toll.
I found the same mix of sometimes not appropriate roads.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I remember Northernraider saying it was a good idea to set which ever device you use to 'most economic' route or some such. Then again he's been caught out a few time to :LOL:
It makes no odds ...I actually think it's bloody France, yes fair enough I've had one or two incidents in Spain and Portugal bit I can honestly say France is the worst ,my satnav has had me through farmers fields and the smallest of villages this last week, it takes me off a main road going directly to the place I'm heading and takes me through crazy places.

Just the other day it took me an 18 mile detour which I didn't notice till I stopped for fuel and checked the map on my phone.

I've tried fastest route, most direct route , economic route...makes no difference they all just as bad. And it always tries to take me on motorways even if I'm going 5 miles in the wrong direction to join it.

I tend to ignore it a lot of the time

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
It makes no odds ...I actually think it's bloody France, yes fair enough I've had one or two incidents in Spain and Portugal bit I can honestly say France is the worst ,my satnav has had me through farmers fields and the smallest of villages this last week, it takes me off a main road going directly to the place I'm heading and takes me through crazy places.

Just the other day it took me an 18 mile detour which I didn't notice till I stopped for fuel and checked the map on my phone.

I've tried fastest route, most direct route , economic route...makes no difference they all just as bad. And it always tries to take me on motorways even if I'm going 5 miles in the wrong direction to join it.

I tend to ignore it a lot of the time

That’s exactly my experience. At one point we ended up at a crossroads where we should have turned right down a dirt line (track is too generous) between 2 unhedged fields. On the other hand we drove through some lovely parts of Quercy region that we wouldn’t have seen.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Just goes to show dependent we have become on technology, when I was trucking we only had paper maps and had to plan our route, same with an address sometimes only had a street name if lucky :cycle:

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
I find ViaMichelin is good for planning the route and to get a sense of direction it also gives an indication of fuel and toll costs for the whole journey. We then use a mixture of google, sat nav and map whilst traveling, but because we don't really have many fixed plans we tend to just make it up as we go along.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Just goes to show dependent we have become on technology, when I was trucking we only had paper maps and had to plan our route, same with an address sometimes only had a street name if lucky :cycle:

Not dependent at all ... as I said we had both resources and ability to do our own thing without the Tech.

But I’ll always try to use it if it’s there ... wouldn’t like to become a Luddite ?. Hard enough to keep up with kids nowadays ...

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
This last journey down France I used tolls ... and Sat Nav (Google/Apple Maps) pretty much took me where I expected to go.

On the way up north we decided to avoid tolls. It pretty soon became evident that both Google and Apple Maps found the most direct route regardless of size of road. This led to some ‘entertaining’ routes.

Is there a way of selecting e.g fastest non toll road that I’m not seeing?

I resorted to route planning by real maps in the end ... I quite enjoy that and I think it was it was more successful.
You may find this helpful.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
We use a Garmin Montana GPS with European City NT map installed. Largely it works ..... mostly, ... well, .... sort of .... and then every now and again we have to ignore it completely as it's obvious that turning right where indicated is going to be taken us somewhere akin to Mrs Miggins tea-shop in the middle of nowheresville whilst the intended destination is clearly to be seen over there on the left with a bloody big road sign pointing to it!

We're not able to input our size/height so on some rural adventures we're on high alert for narrowing road widths, or bridges that might just not be suitable for a rig almost 3mtrs tall. All part of the fun we tell ourselves (regularly I might add)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I know where I want to get too and somehow I end up there eventually..... it’s the in between bit that’s more interesting sometimes...?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We use a sat nav set to no tolls and have a pretty good idea of where we want to go most of the time.
If I think the sat nav is trying to take me down a narrow road or a silly short cut, I ignore it and it generally replans a route which is much better.
The trick is to use a sat nav or route planner as a guide and don’t rely on it too much and if you come across a Route Barre sign, don’t follow the sat nav till the deviation has ended

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
According to Google Maps this is Jubilee Road! Fortunately I was on a bike......

I like satnavs but tend to use them only for the last mile or so. Good old maps get me close enough for the satnav to help me land.

Attachments

• DSC_9143.JPG
    DSC_9143.JPG
    204.8 KB · Views: 9

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread