Goodbye motor cruiser, hello motorhome !! (1 Viewer)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Hi everyone, new motorhome owner here! After owning a boat on the Norfolk Broads for the last two years and realising it just isn't for us, we bought a motorhome yesterday and immediately put the boat up for sale LOL

We're not new to camping/motorhomes as the in laws had one we used quite a few years ago though. We also have had static caravans at Challans, France (for over 13 years) which we love to visit at least four months of the year as we are both early retired (hence the boat not being used that much)

We are hoping to visit parts of the UK we have never visited and also tour throughout France in our first couple of years.

We bought a 4 berth fixed bed Trigano Tribute and I drove it home yesterday. It drove great for the five or so hours it took me, so gave me a lot of confidence in the vehicle. I intend to get the cam belt changed this week and we will be ready to go, with peace of mind !

Although we are not complete novices, advice is always welcome especially re the following improvements

Solar Panel
Gaslow or similar system

we dont need advice on French Wine or driving through Rouen LOL !!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hi everyone, new motorhome owner here! After owning a boat on the Norfolk Broads for the last two years and realising it just isn't for us, we bought a motorhome yesterday and immediately put the boat up for sale LOL

We're not new to camping/motorhomes as the in laws had one we used quite a few years ago though. We also have had static caravans at Challans, France (for over 13 years) which we love to visit at least four months of the year as we are both early retired (hence the boat not being used that much)

We are hoping to visit parts of the UK we have never visited and also tour throughout France in our first couple of years.

We bought a 4 berth fixed bed Trigano Tribute and I drove it home yesterday. It drove great for the five or so hours it took me, so gave me a lot of confidence in the vehicle. I intend to get the cam belt changed this week and we will be ready to go, with peace of mind !

Although we are not complete novices, advice is always welcome especially re the following improvements

Solar Panel
Gaslow or similar system

Hello and welcome lots of help advice fun and friendship on here! ( the techies will advise I'm sure but we've just had an Alugas fitted by Dave Newell ( see adverts to the right! He is a funster and did a lovely job!)hellowelcome

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hello and Welcome,

Solar Panel
Gaslow or similar system

As for the above Yes to both, MPPT regulator on the solar will make best use of whatever you can fit up there,
I should add that I automatically said Yes to solar without asking "are you going to be away from hook up" I assumed you were (y) if not No you done need it.

Martin

AndyV

Free Member
Feb 5, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
since 2003
:welco:LIVE THE DREAM > ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE
Nice choice of Motorhome you have there

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Welcome to the growing PVC mob on FUN! :welcome3:

And if you ever feel nostalgic about that rocking feeling, there are ways ... you get my drift ... :giggler:

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
Hello & Welcome! Our first van was a Trigano Tribute! We boated for 20+ years, with a cruiser, a couple of those in France - we find motorhoming to have a few similarities to boating but much easier! Enjoy your Trigano

Alb & Elaine

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Advice for transferring from water to highway:
Still give way to sail ( including umbrella clad pedestrians)
Pass others on Starboard side in UK, Port in Europe.
Don’t try to drive if depth gauge shows more than 0.1 Fathoms.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
:welcome4:if you intend to wild camp/off EHU and you have a conventional 3way fridge we managed comfortably in the past with just a single solar panel and 2 leisure batteries. Our present van has a compressor Waeco fridge that runs off 3 leisure batteries and 3 solar panels.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi everyone, new motorhome owner here! After owning a boat on the Norfolk Broads

Ten years ago now we pondered: a boat in Canal du Midi ( which we love in a hire boat ) or a MH, MH won on basis the destinations are unlimited. It was a good choice. Most of Europe and a bit of Africa done since.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None

Solar Panel
Gaslow or similar system

You will be whining if you drive through Rouen !! Lolol

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Welcome aboard.
Gaslow (or similar cheaper version) is basically essential for France/europe.
For the majority of us Solars are pretty much essential as well and how much panel and how many batteries is going to be down to how you use it.
Numerous other tips and tricks will assist you. There are a couple of good "sticky" threads. What have you bought today - where you can see what others have bought to get hints as to what to buy and photo of the day, which you can use to see where you might want to go.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Welcome back to dry land.
You'll soon discover what you need for motorhoming. It will depend on your own circumstances.
This should be more economical than boating and open much wider horizons. But you could still spend as much as you want to, and more, if you are of that mind. So steady as you go, take one step at a time.

Jul 4, 2016
sidcup
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic c line 5.0
Exp
a few years
hello and welcome

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun