LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As some of you know I am a lover of quality older motorhomes and spend a considerable amount of my time searching the net both here in the UK and Europe and America looking for these rarities.
So, if it will be of any help to potential first time buyers who are like me on a limited budget I will put on this thread from time to time what I consider a good buy for what is a good van at the right money.
Some of the vans you will see on this post you will never have heard of, but don't be put off by that as one of my main priorities when purchasing a MH for myself is parts availability. Body panels on motorhomes are obsolete when the vehicle is only a few years old, so this will not be taken into consideration, but mechanical parts are of course the main thing to worry about when thinking of an older MH. So any vehicle that appears on this thread will have to have good parts availability.
This is one of my favourites and one to start you off. Its an Orion, built on the Mercedes chassis and of monocoque construction. Link Removed

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Ah well, I must have got the LT Distance Wide right. Someone hit the buy it now button.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Heres a nice one for the money -- a little TLC and you should get your money back for the next ten yrs ::bigsmile:
Link Removed

terry

Weird... This one is working fine! And the van looks so familiar to me:winky:::bigsmile:

I tried again the one Dave gave this morning and I don't get the usual blahblah saying I'm not allowed to view it . It just says "error" :Eeek::Eeek: I wish I was better with computer . On the other I don't take the time to learn more:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Link Removed

MAY be a good buy for a full timer to convert :thumb:::bigsmile:- Should last a lifetime- not sure on MPG though ? I thought around 16/18 ish -:Eeek: I usd to run a smaller engined version and got around 20
terry

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I know this is getting on in years, but you wont find one in as good a condition as this. It also has the benefit of being fully loaded. Link Removed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Couldn't be easier. Just get a 5 day German red export plate and 5 day insurance from the local taxation office, there's one in every town. Drive back to the UK, then a few mods ie swap rear fog light and make sure lights dip the correct way. Get UK insurance, most will give it on chassis number if you tell them its a personal import. Take to your friendly MOT station, then take all paperwork to your local vehicle taxation office and within 10 days Bobs your auntie. You will receive notification of your new UK number plate. Take this and paperwork to local motor factors and off you go.

Upvote 0

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
Couldn't be easier. Just get a 5 day [HI]German red export plate [/HI]and 5 day insurance from the local taxation office, there's one in every town. Drive back to the UK, then a few mods ie swap rear fog light and make sure lights dip the correct way. Get UK insurance, most will give it on chassis number if you tell them its a personal import. Take to your friendly MOT station, then take all paperwork to your local vehicle taxation office and within 10 days Bobs your auntie. You will receive notification of your new UK number plate. Take this and paperwork to local motor factors and off you go.

:thumb: then what do you do with the red export plates :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Stick em on the van. They are like number plates. You have paid for them so they are yours to keep. Throw them away once you have it registered in the UK.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
:ROFLMAO: What about this needs a little TLC :ROFLMAO:
Link Removed

Jeez, that's a Buccaneer travellers van they have grafted on the back of there. The habitation part will weigh well over 2 tons without the van and chassis. Am not so sure about whether that overhang is legal either. To me its a shocking waste of what was once a very good trailer. You needed a 7.5 ton truck just to tow those old Buccaneers, so I dread to think how that Peugeot is going to manage.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Is this really worth the money?

Link Removed

To be honest, I dont know and don't think anyone else does, for one reason. There is little or nothing here in the UK to compare it with. They are thin on the ground in Germany and prices vary such a lot. I did not pay that for mine and its a 1990 with full garage on the Mercedes 410 turbo chassis. But I did buy it unseen and brought it back from Germany. I may be wrong but am of the opinion that the one shown is in fact an Arnold and not an RMB. RMB bought out Arnold and used what body shells they had up first. It looks like an Arnold that's been painted at some time and badged up as an RMB. If it was a true RMB it would either be badged as a White Star, Blue Star or Silver Star. Having said that Arnold were a very well made van and command good prices in Germany as there is a large owners club. Dont forget these vans cost more than the average house when new.

Upvote 0

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
It does appear from the pictures to be in nice condition and does not look its age from a styling point of view as you say there thin on the ground here

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
It does appear from the pictures to be in nice condition and does not look its age from a styling point of view as you say there thin on the ground here

Rarely will you find one that is in anything but nice condition. These vans were originally bought by the very wealthy and were looked after by chequebook. The people that bought these when they were new were not the type of person to go rolling around underneath it changing the oil and tinkering themselves. They took it to a Mercedes agent and had what ever needed doing done. There are no joins on the body as its an all one piece shell, so no water ingress ever. The 12 volt wiring is the same as you would find on an expensive yacht and the furniture is solid wood.

Upvote 0

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
Jeez, that's a Buccaneer travellers van they have grafted on the back of there. The habitation part will weigh well over 2 tons without the van and chassis. Am not so sure about whether that overhang is legal either. To me its a shocking waste of what was once a very good trailer. You needed a 7.5 ton truck just to tow those old Buccaneers, so I dread to think how that Peugeot is going to manage.

:ROFLMAO: all you need is a couple of Hedgehogs for your tea :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
oh no not hedge hog ( idgy podgy) in the food chain. when baked is meant to taste like pork, best get the pies checked. ivory55

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
oh no not hedge hog ( idgy podgy) in the food chain. when baked is meant to taste like pork, best get the pies checked. ivory55

What on earth is idgy podgy. Do you mean Hochiwichi or is there another way to cook em.

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
was the name i was told, and baked in clay the spikes stayed in the clay. ivory55

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I cant make my mind up about this one. OK its in Germany, but its UK registered and RHD with 11 months MOT. With a little tinkering it has great potential. Its all there and looks straight. With a recon engine by the previous owner, it would be cheap as chips if won with a maiden bid.
Link Removed

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I cant make my mind up about this one. OK its in Germany, but its UK registered and RHD with 11 months MOT. With a little tinkering it has great potential. Its all there and looks straight. With a recon engine by the previous owner, it would be cheap as chips if won with a maiden bid.
Link Removed

Would be nice to rip it out and do it properly :winky:::bigsmile:
terry
EDIT Ilike the Iveco above but way too thirsty both of them.Both are/would be great for FTing but starter van ?????

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
This is a nice old bus :thumb:
Link Removed
Cheap :thumb: probably run it for a few years and still get back what you paid :winky:
Terry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Good find Terry. Now if it was only diesel. Maybe the reason why it only has 62000kms on the clock.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Good find Terry. Now if it was only diesel. Maybe the reason why it only has 62000kms on the clock.

Could well be but 5/600 quid coud change it to diesel, :thumb: then again that also buy a lot of petrol ::bigsmile:
Terry

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
What about this one Dave :thumb: lovly old bus with diesel :Smile:
Link Removed
Terry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Like it, and that looks very much like an RMB or Arnold bodyshell. I just wonder if Niesmanns bought the shells from Arnold for that. Have never seen another Niesmann that shape. That swept up rear is exactly the same as my Silver Star. If its the same quality its cheap.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back