Good sites for Kayak (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
After renewing our interest in kayak/canoeing at Millport we are interested in finding sites that are on lakes, reservoirs or rivers that allowing canoeing (kayak??). We know of some in Scotland but are really looking for a couple in England and maybe Wales for beginners just wanting to have a play, but are really wanting the campsite to be on the banks so that you can get on the water without any additional travelling.

Any recommendations?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi neil, may be a bit far north but the site in Keswick at the north end of derwentwater is right on the lakeside.. lovely site but can be busy...
hope all goes well with you and you get out for a bit paddling..
martins meet at Shrewsbury offers an opportunity to do some paddling as well...
I'm heading back up to Millport on Friday for a weekend kayaking, thats instead of the bike ride I had planned.. the weather was poor when I returned home and I won't be able to fit both in before another trip to Ireland..
andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Neilfg
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi guys(y)
Apparently lake Bala do all of that and they have white water rafting and kayaking just up the road for when you get really good:D but I haven't done much research on the lake stuff, @Puddleduck told me about it(y)
Going to have a look at the sites, think there are 3 on the lake, one should be ok:)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Pity Scotland is not in the frame as almost anywhere in the West would be great.

OP
OP
Neilfg
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
hi neil, may be a bit far north but the site in Keswick at the north end of derwentwater is right on the lakeside.. lovely site but can be busy...
hope all goes well with you and you get out for a bit paddling..
martins meet at Shrewsbury offers an opportunity to do some paddling as well...
I'm heading back up to Millport on Friday for a weekend kayaking, thats instead of the bike ride I had planned.. the weather was poor when I returned home and I won't be able to fit both in before another trip to Ireland..
andy
Looking forward to Shrewsbury, will have a look at Derwent Water but yes a bit far maybe.

OP
OP
Neilfg
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Pity Scotland is not in the frame as almost anywhere in the West would be great.
Scotland is great just a bit far for a weekend, oddly we have used Altnaharra, Loch Lomond and recently Millport. But live in England, Alylesbury hence wondering about England.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The Caravan and Camping club site at Chertsey has direct access to the Thames.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
When we first started canoeing and or Kanaking, we went to a site called Four Winds near March, Cambridge. The site is right on the bank of the Old River Nene ( it is a locked portion of the actual Nene). A picturesque paddle into March but go much further the the scenery is limited. However it is perfect for getting back in to the boat and messing about.

They also do open canoe hire. https://fourwindsleisure.com/

Further a field Coniston water is lovely with a site right on the banks, i think this is the one, http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=1693

There is also a Caravan Club site just up the road, but i have not been there.

Finally there is a small site in Northamptonshire on the banks of the Nene. Not very posh and I would not reccomend using the facilities, but is was very convenient to get the boats in the water.
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=12572

One area I have also meant to explore is the Forest of Dean as when camping there we did a walk and had great views down to the Wye River, which looked great for Kayaking.

OP
OP
Neilfg
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for all the info, bit more research is now called for. I think we have been seriously spoilt by Scotland and access to water directly from the pitches, ukcampsite.co.uk is going to get a hammering tonight so we shall see, and a trip to Wales maybe on the cards.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back