Good route for east coast scotland? (2 Viewers)

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
Hi everybody
We are planning a trip to Scotland. Although we are regular visitors to the west coast, we have not "done" the east coast run before.
The plan is to go from Norfolk to John o' groats / Dunnets head, stopping for a night in Northumberland (never been there before either), followed by a night somewhere north of Edinburgh, and finally arriving on day three at the top of Scotland, where we will stay for a couple of weeks.
Has anyone got any suggestions for a scenic (but drivable) route / stopovers etc?
We would really appreciate any information you can share.
Many thanks
Finby and Spanner :thumb:

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Last year we followed the East Coast from Beverley Hull, right up via Scarborough to Stockton on Tees, then up the A1 to Alnwick which was extremely busy then on up to Berwick on Tweed, Eyemouth, Coldingham, Cockburnspath, North Berwick, Gullane, Dirleton, Musselburgh, Joppa, Leith Docks, Cramond, Queensferry, Kincardine Bridge, Dunfermline then inland to Crieff. You can virtually follow the coastline up from Berwick, enjoyed fresh fish in Eyemouth, Coldingham Sands to St Abbs Head nice walk. North Berwick pleasant seaside town looking out to the Bass Rock and if there on a Sunday go to East Fortune market next to the Air Museum, Gullane with its Golf Courses, follow through Leith Docks you can see the Royal Yacht, and go to Queensferry below the Forth Bridges. Plenty of sites and CL's on route.

David

K

klaatu

Deleted User
One suggestion I would make is to avoid the A9. The stretch from Perth to Inverness, while scenic, is a nasty, dangerous road. I would suggest the A93 up to Braemar, Tomintoul and Grantown-on-Spey, and then on to Inverness. Of course, this assumes you're not doing the Aberdeenshire coast.

From Inverness, the A9 is scenic in parts, but to be honest I find it rather dull, particularly through Caithness. I would suggest the A836 through Altnaharra.

I'm afraid I don't know how the above suggestions fit with overnight stops, but I do know that people 'wild camp' by the side of Clunie Water south of Braemar.

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
One suggestion I would make is to avoid the A9. The stretch from Perth to Inverness, while scenic, is a nasty, dangerous road. I would suggest the A93 up to Braemar, Tomintoul and Grantown-on-Spey, and then on to Inverness. Of course, this assumes you're not doing the Aberdeenshire coast.

From Inverness, the A9 is scenic in parts, but to be honest I find it rather dull, particularly through Caithness. I would suggest the A836 through Altnaharra.

I'm afraid I don't know how the above suggestions fit with overnight stops, but I do know that people 'wild camp' by the side of Clunie Water south of Braemar.

Steve

A very nice CC site at Altnaharra. Not much there, but the scenery is the tops, well worth the detour to camp on the lochside, walk & watch the deer. ::bigsmile:

Last edited:

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi
Stayed at Beadnall Bay C & C site, then stayed at Wick on a lovely site accessed by road at side of river,this used to be the old caravan club site now privately owned, its just a short run to top of Scotland from there.:Cool:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Just found this picture of the camp site at Loch Naver

:thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• L Naver refl.jpg
    L Naver refl.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 55

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi,

whichever road you take up the east coast once you pass edinburgh keep an eye open for the yellow breasted, one eyed speed camera.
evidently, they have had a couple of years of prolific breeding, outbreeding the other scottish beast 'the haggis', and can be found in most hedgerows along these roads, popping up when you least expect them.
they are mostly stationary creatures but have been known to be quite mobile as well, and they only appear to take offence if you approach them too quickly and, as they are very,very intellegent creatures, they WILL send you a letter telling you they have seen you approaching too fast and demand a reward for doing so.

enjoy your trip and have FUN.:thumb::thumb:

john.

J

jannie

Deleted User
Hi everybody
We are planning a trip to Scotland. Although we are regular visitors to the west coast, we have not "done" the east coast run before.
The plan is to go from Norfolk to John o' groats / Dunnets head, stopping for a night in Northumberland (never been there before either), followed by a night somewhere north of Edinburgh, and finally arriving on day three at the top of Scotland, where we will stay for a couple of weeks.
Has anyone got any suggestions for a scenic (but drivable) route / stopovers etc?
We would really appreciate any information you can share.
Many thanks
Finby and Spanner :thumb:

Hi,
Just read about your planned trip to Scotland. We are looking forward to doing the same thing. Where are you in Norfolk? We live in Fritton near Gt. Yarmouth and are quite daunted by the long trek. Our motor home is sitting here not registered at the moment so we have that hurdle to cross before we set out on any missions!

Jannie

OP
OP
finby

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
Thanks everyone for your help and advice. You've given me lots of ideas and lots to think about.

Martin

S

stubon

Deleted User
Have you been on google earth if you download this free site zoom in to scotland
in the menu bar on the left under layers check the roads box then zoom in to any part of scotland you want then blue dots appear click on the blue dots it will then give you a picture of that area.
When we get our motorhome later this year that is one of our first journeys::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
i hope you enjoy your journey :thumb::thumb:

Carol and Stuart

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back