Good old NHS (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I noticed that a lot of student nurses were taking on a job of tea maker and general gofor. I could also see that the one trained nurse was keen to show the trainees all the procedures she did and in fact there is no way the ward could have ran without students being there. They were very friendly and took my mind off the pain and boredom.

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
I endorse all the proud and hopeful sentiments (and many of the criticisms) you have all voiced in this interesting thread. My hope is that when it comes to Polling day you will take the NHS into consideration in reaching your decisions. It is our most important public, not for profit, service and, it is my view, that we should all defend it vigorously.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sadly it will only be any good when the opposite happens and the political parties stop using it like a football and stay out of it....

The NHS is failing and drowning under paperwork....
Needles target chasing to give political parties the opportunity to kick each other makes for wasted billions of pounds...
The public deserve better than what they are getting at the moment and in terms of "care" I'm starting to seriously question whether in fact society is uncaring and that the staff are coming from there....

But i am pleased that the op and others had good experiences although I don't think genuinely emergency care is an issue is the routine stuff

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Big problem with a lot of the posts, it is impossible to fully fund the NHS to the expectations of the people, it is NOT a question of politics, no matter what anybody tells you, it is a question of mathematics, so therefore, whether we like it or not the money has to be spent for the benefit of the majority not the minority. There are many things that could be done to ease the burden, stop medical tourism for a start, come out of the European parliament (union) and do away with the ridiculous European Court of Human Rights, or at any rate the laws that override the UK's ability to Govern itself, and you might have a bit more money to help get your piles banded!! Very complicated subject, and please, not an excuse for a racial rant, Although a cohesive, rational and workable Policy on immigration, which spells out the medical intervention available to None UK citizens might be a start!

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Dawn so sorry you have had two heart attacks, but pleased you got the right treatment.

I have been in three different hospitals for a total of 38 nights in hospital, of which the 26 nights in edinburgh Western General hospital, was equivalent to private treatment, excellent in every way.

three days in Harlow hospital where the treatment was absolutely awful, I needed urgent antibiotics, which my consultant is of that hospital rang to arrange. All booking in is through A & E which took 6 hours, which I ended up being canulated at 6 hours, after I said that I was going to walk out. On ward and out of 15 iv antibiotics due in that time periods, I only received 9, the last batch being on the Sunday which I was waiting 20 hours for the next one, (I had to have a blood test in that time and a canula re fitted), which didnt happen, and by 11.oopm on nurses drug round by the nurse who is looking after me I asked her when she was doing my antibiotics and what was happening she just shrugged her shoulders and said I dont know, on further questioning she was very negative about when it would happen. So I decided to leave, at 12.30am, it took me till 2.00pm to leave, after I had spoken to a matron of the whole hospital. Who said that he could get a registrar to canulate me soon. The nurse had mucked up my treatment several times, and I had been awake all weekend to ensure that the drips were working (long story) but when I was in the middle of night receiving them, I was sleepy, but I realised the second batch of drugs in the tray she was giving me was the wrong drug and was for someone else.
That night a pregnant women who was allergic to pencillin had been given pencillin drug, not sure who was responsible but I decided by that stage I was not staying.

I have been in this hospital at least 10 times and only 1 time did I have adequate nursing care.
The surgeons are good, but alas the nursing staff and system is not.

I then went to a local hospital, and luckily enough managed to get in because they were treating me with plastic surgery, and although it took 4 hours to be admitted, it was quicker than going through the A& E
Although this hospital has and excellent plastic surgery and burns unit, I still missed a lot of antibiotics, although the canulations problems were dealt with the hardworking housemen doctors. I still missed them mainly due to nurses being too busy, or sometimes being lazy. It is a extremely busy ward as its a hand trauma ward (emergency and planned) some plastic surgery ops too.
I know that there has to be some flexibility, and this was allowed. But there was a lot of nursing issues, especially in the handling of my new PICC line, and many touched them with bare hands, no gloves, no alcohol wipes etc, this is very worrying and when I wouldnt allow them to touch it without gloves on, which to me is the bear minimum, I would get less care.

However I had some excellent nursing in this time too.

I am aware of everything that they are doing, those who are not so aware, missed out on a lot of their treatment they were due.

I saw some very poor nursing and both the Essex Hospitals which is really bad. I came out last night, but not sure if the treatment is finished yet.

Most of my appts and I have had a lot in the last six months, run at least 1 hour late, sometime 1.5 hours.

Last edited:
OP
OP
New Dawn
Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
Blimey. Reading all that. I am glad they took me to my local hospital. I hope that your treatment (if needed) goes to plan in the future. Take Care.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Dawn so sorry you have had two heart attacks, but pleased you got the right treatment.

I have been in three different hospitals for a total of 38 nights in hospital, of which the 26 nights in edinburgh Western General hospital, was equivalent to private treatment, excellent in every way.

three days in Harlow hospital where the treatment was absolutely awful, I needed urgent antibiotics, which my consultant is of that hospital rang to arrange. All booking in is through A & E which took 6 hours, which I ended up being canulated at 6 hours, after I said that I was going to walk out. On ward and out of 15 iv antibiotics due in that time periods, I only received 9, the last batch being on the Sunday which I was waiting 20 hours for the next one, (I had to have a blood test in that time and a canula re fitted), which didnt happen, and by 11.oopm on nurses drug round by the nurse who is looking after me I asked her when she was doing my antibiotics and what was happening she just shrugged her shoulders and said I dont know, on further questioning she was very negative about when it would happen. So I decided to leave, at 12.30am, it took me till 2.00pm to leave, after I had spoken to a matron of the whole hospital. Who said that he could get a registrar to canulate me soon. The nurse had mucked up my treatment several times, and I had been awake all weekend to ensure that the drips were working (long story) but when I was in the middle of night receiving them, I was sleepy, but I realised the second batch of drugs in the tray she was giving me was the wrong drug and was for someone else.
That night a pregnant women who was allergic to pencillin had been given pencillin drug, not sure who was responsible but I decided by that stage I was not staying.

I have been in this hospital at least 10 times and only 1 time did I have adequate nursing care.
The surgeons are good, but alas the nursing staff and system is not.

I then went to a local hospital, and luckily enough managed to get in because they were treating me with plastic surgery, and although it took 4 hours to be admitted, it was quicker than going through the A& E
Although this hospital has and excellent plastic surgery and burns unit, I still missed a lot of antibiotics, although the canulations problems were dealt with the hardworking housemen doctors. I still missed them mainly due to nurses being too busy, or sometimes being lazy. It is a extremely busy ward as its a hand trauma ward (emergency and planned) some plastic surgery ops too.
I know that there has to be some flexibility, and this was allowed. But there was a lot of nursing issues, especially in the handling of my new PICC line, and many touched them with bare hands, no gloves, no alcohol wipes etc, this is very worrying and when I wouldnt allow them to touch it without gloves on, which to me is the bear minimum, I would get less care.

However I had some excellent nursing in this time too.

I am aware of everything that they are doing, those who are not so aware, missed out on a lot of their treatment they were due.

I saw some very poor nursing and both the Essex Hospitals which is really bad. I came out last night, but not sure if the treatment is finished yet.

Most of my appts and I have had a lot in the last six months, run at least 1 hour late, sometime 1.5 hours.

I also received and receiving excellent treatment at the Western in Edinburgh.
Sorry to hear about all your problems back home.:(

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
had to wait 5 days in Northampton general for a scan. kept telling me it was important .but a/e got priority so had to tell them going home. got dressed called the wife to come and get me. sat waiting for her . doctor came over asked me to wait. surprise surprise. they came 15 mins later. but I took a bed for 5 days that they keep telling us in very short supply.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Been waiting in all day (saturday)for the district nurse to turn up to flush the PICC line, I was told that it could be anytime until 7.00pm.

I over heard nurses telling other patients to ring up if they hadnt turned up by 4pm, so rang the ward who gave me a number for the district nurses, (rang them answerphone has they dont man the phones at the weekend).

So have arranged to go back to the hospital to the ward to be flushed out there, dont know how long that is going to take, it will depend on our busy they are or what nurses.. Fingers crossed.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
If I were the PM I would instigate Personal Identification cards to be carried at all times. This would have to be shown for treatment in hospital, at a doctors surgery, registering for benefits, job centres etc. Therefore anyone without one is presumed to be a visitor to the country, illegal etc and thus subject to charge. Would also help police!

My daughter, as a teacher, took a school trip to New York and had to take a colleague to a NY hospital. Conditions were horrendous. No privacy curtains, blood from previous patient on sheets etc.

A huge security guard was assigned to them to extract payment by credit card before allowing them to leave. Insurance company details were not enough!

USA visitor pre checks and ESTA visas are required and you are still photographed and fingerprinted on arrival.

Sounds good to me to our country to our own and selected immigrants. No I would not let in HIV afflicted people to have expensive free treatment at my expense!

Would that our politicians listen to what we want!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back