LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Read the terms and conditions that would have been printed on the back of the order that you signed.

Whilst it is breach of contract and you can reject the goods and get your money back, I doubt if you will get anywhere with compensation. Courts only calculate damages on the money you have lost not punishment or loss of enjoyment damages.

Best bet might be to demand specific performance of the contract I.e. Right van at the same price as when you ordered it not next year's price. If you can stomach dealing with them again.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
Just disgraceful, they seem to think that you should be thankful to just to get a motorhome:mad: think the system of ordering what you want in the UK just doesnt seem to work, what is the point of placing an order if they cant deliver?
Lots of people seem to have to wait long past delivery dates too, dealers that mess about with our hard worked for cash and time should be named and shamed, they need to up their game.
I would want my money back and look at secondhand or go to Dusseldorf show with a wad of cash.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'm surprised anyone buys new, I know someone has to, but all this waiting and getting ripped off into the bargain, when you are waiting anything up to a year for delivery you are ending up with last years model at this years price , remember as soon as you take it through their gates , it's second hand and last years as well.
You could possibly get a newer second hand one at ten grand less than the one you've waited for!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Don't be tempted to take it, it's very unlikely to have the axle capacity for the bike. Most A class 3500 vans are built on the Al-Ko light chassis which has a limit of 2000k, it can be increased to 2240 by changing the tyres and fitting air assist. As the van has a garage it will have a reasonably long overhang, even with the upgrades you would be pushing your luck.

You don't say what the van is but as it's an A-Class you should be able to find what you want in stock in Germany and save yourself 10 -15 grand or more.

Its a Carthargo. more I think about it I cant see how this happened to be honest its very fishy. If you have the factory order number use this contact page from website or better still call them! do you have a copy of order placed with dealer?

Broken Link Removed

In fact better still I would call them right now and get to the bottom of this, at least you will know who is negligent dealer of manufacturer and what has actually happened to your order. have paperwork at hand when you call. and dont worry about language most have a better grasp of English then some on here:D

Kontakt

Carthago Reisemobilbau GmbH
Carthago Ring 1
88326 Aulendorf

Telefon: +49 (0)7525-9200 0
Telefax: +49 (0)7525-9200 3003
E-Mail: info@carthago.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
awg

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks everyone for your comments, much appreciated.

Iā€™ve emailed CamperUK stating I am not happy with the vehicle and their offer. I have also emailed the Carthago Central European Sales Manager and managing Director to get their views on how the vehicle order was built so far from specification. I thought I would do it all in writing so I have a record of what happened.

Iā€™ll let everyone know what happens.

Allan

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
What model was it Allan. Ad I am ordering one in the new year.....

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I'm with the others Allan, ie, total rejection. :mad:

I only hear good reports about the family run Camper UK in Lincoln, and although we haven't bought a MH from them, they have been responsible for sourcing most of the Hymer or ALKO spares we have needed, and they have provided excellent service so far.

Are you dealing directly with Dean at Camper UK, or one of the sales staff?

Good luck to you. (y)

Jock.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think Carthago operate the same way as Hymer, the conformation order from the dealer you have to sign will even have the vans serial number on it.
Agree with Eddie something fishy going on I'd give them a wide berth.

OP
OP
awg

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
I'm now one very happy camper. Well I would be if I was a camper :)

I've spoken to Dean today and exchanged a few emails with him. He comes over as a genuine person and was very concerned about my problem. We discussed the problem at length and agreed several options were open to me. I decided that the general view on chassis weight and going for the lower weight limit was correct so accepting the miss build was ruled out. I didn't want to just walk away with a returned deposit so after a look at CamperUK's existing stock I went for a more expensive model with a similar layout but with a 4,500kg chassis. There were other "no cost" options which were also very appealing but I wanted to try and get the right vehicle from the begining. After speaking to Dean I was more than happy to continue dealing with CamperUK and was prepared to spend more than originally planned to get the right vehicle. We have agreed an increased price for a more expensive vehicle which I'm pleased about. I'm comfortbale that the initial problem has been professionally addressed by CamperUK and Dean in particular.

I've had a rough couple of days and have ended up spending more than planned but I'm going to get a higher spec vehicle and my faith in CamperUK has been fully restored.

I did say that any deal would have to be on the basis that I was happy to deal with CamperUK in the future and not just a "grab and run" deal. I'd rather have just had my deepest returned and start again than deal with a company I didn't trust.

There are a few options still to get fitted but as the vehicle is already with CamperUK I don't have long to wait to get on the road. Now where's that Eurotunnel url :)

Judgemental,

I originally ordered a c-compactline 143 and have now agreed a price on a c-tourer I 149 which both have similar layouts but different spec levels. Although I was originally upset when I heard about the miss build I would now heartily recommend speaking to CamperUK when you are thinking of ordering. I should have waited until things had been fully discussed before spouting on an open forum. I need to learn not to react so quickly without speaking to someone with the power to make real decisions.

Allan

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have sum very nice applies but they have just become unavailable I will swap them for lemons at the same price I am sure you will be happy :Eeek:
tell him to stick it and go somewhere you can get what you want don't let them sell you a lemon :swear2:
bill

OP
OP
awg

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Bill, Upgrading was my idea and I'm very happy with the deal. They did offer a "no cost" option which would have ended up with me eventually getting exactly the spec I ordered at the original agreed price. I asked what they already had in stock with a heavy chassis and they offered a price I was more than happy with.

Allan

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Glad it is all sorted and hope you have many happy miles and years of motorhoming in your new van :)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Bill, Upgrading was my idea and I'm very happy with the deal. They did offer a "no cost" option which would have ended up with me eventually getting exactly the spec I ordered at the original agreed price. I asked what they already had in stock with a heavy chassis and they offered a price I was more than happy with.

Allan
glad you got sorted must have missed something in the thread :doh::getmecoat:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

Allan
At the end of the day Allan, it's what you and yours are happy with, and the attitude and service you received from Dean, appears to be what was needed................as should be expected.

I wish you well with the new deal, and hope that you will soon be on that Channel crossing. (y)

All the best,

Jock. :)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Glad it's sorted out to your satisfaction(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Allan, I don't think you spoke/posted too soon, you looked for advice and reassurance which is what we are all here for but at the end of the day Camper UK have come out of it OK as you are singing their praises and happy to continue with the deal, and you are getting a van you are happy with.

Enjoy.

Martin

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Glad you have sorted it and got what you wanted. Best of luck.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Very glad to see you have got sorted and our impressions of Camper UK were correct.

Wishing you very many happy years :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
odds are that Dean read the comments on this forum and realised there was a way to turn round a shitty deal of their making and come out of it, not just smelling of roses, but with even more of your cash

the van you ordered was no doubt still built and sold so there will still be the manufacturer to answer to

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
That is a beautiful Motorhome, after your initial glitch glad it's turned out well.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Very surprised to see adverse comments about Camper UK as in my book, Dean and his family are an excellent dealer to purchase a van from as has now been proven by Dean.

Peter

I am sure that's right Peter, but you would normally expect to get the van you ordered, wouldn't you?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back