Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Vehicle Identity Checks to cease

Drivers returning a written-off car to a roadworthy condition will no longer need to apply for a Vehicle Identity Check (VIC) from October 2015, announced Transport Minister Stephen Hammond.

The checks, introduced in 2003, were designed to stop criminals ringing cars – swapping the identity of cars bound for the scrapyard with a stolen vehicle of a similar make and model. But during the last 10 years only a handful of positive results have come from the million or so checks performed.

Stephen Hammond said, ‘The VIC scheme is unnecessary red tape, which is why we are getting rid of it.’:Eeek:

As I see it ringing was a problem that why VIC was brought in its worked its no longer a problem so lets get rid
Anyone care to guess what will happen:Doh:
G

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
So from Oct 2015 an unscrupulous person could take a stolen car and mask it's identity with that taken from a written off car.
I suppose wall we need to do now is think of a name for such a practice. "Ringing" has a certain ring to it :RollEyes:

Either that or we're going to have a rise in the number of written off cars making their way back onto the road, courtesy of your local friendly cut and shut outlet :Angry:

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
all the more reason to make sure you HPI any vehicle that you are going to buy !!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
If Ringing does start up big time the govt will have to bring in some sort of check to keep it in errrm, check. They'll probably call it VIC. :Doh:

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
So from Oct 2015 an unscrupulous person could take a stolen car and mask it's identity with that taken from a written off car.
I suppose wall we need to do now is[HI] think of a name for such a practice.[/HI] "Ringing" has a certain ring to it :RollEyes:

Either that or we're going to have a rise in the number of written off cars making their way back onto the road, courtesy of your local friendly cut and shut outlet :Angry:

How about hammonding?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
but the current system means that only category c & d writeoffs are allowed to be returned to the road. the worst and totally uneconomical repairs are for parts or immediately crushed

i have seen plenty of category c & d vehicles repaired to as good as before any accident. even a few that just needed new locks fitted to return to use as the list price made them uneconomical. what is really needed is a way to permanently identify all new vehicles to be standardised. that way cloning and ringing would be stamped out

perhaps the categories for write offs needs to be reviewed. make those with just cosmetic damage say a category e. i recently looked over a motorhome written off at 3 years old that just needed a front bumper (and panels), a bonnet, front wing (outer only) a light and a radiator etc. any workshop could see it repaired in just a few days. who knows why the insurer deemed it uneconomic at £2000-£3000 of damage on a £25000 vehicle. the guide price for it was about £15000, so its bound to be bought and repaired, and rightly so. i was tempted to buy it and source second hand parts for the repair, most of which just bolt on. it looked far worse than it really was and could easily be sorted with cheaper parts for around £1000. easy profit to make without any safety risks

in part i welcome dropping the extra check but would replace with a check on first MOT tat its roadworthy still

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back