Good info from Jim ref fridges (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Big thanks to Jim ( may his shadow never be long ) re an issue we had with our Thetford Fridge.

Whilst away in Croatia no matter how low we set the fridge/freezer temperature it would not keep anything frozen.
Whilst out there I stripped it and made sure the burner was clean and there was a nice blue flame.. It was spotless and the flame was spot on.

I mentioned this to Jim whilst at Newark..
He suggested we set the thing to a higher temperature ( which flew in the face of logic ! ) as he had had a similar problem and had been told the same thing ..
Apparently the heat from the burner over comes the heat exchanger

So set temp. to the middle position and Lo !!
Instant and massive improvement..

Jim suggested we try various settings as he had found there is a 'sweet spot' where it develops the lowest temp ..

Fortunately just setting ours to the third bar on the display ( down from the top, fifth bar ) had the desired effect without the need for further playing..

So a public and LARGE thanks to James.. it worked a treat !

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
We recently had the same trouble can I suggest two things.
A: high pressure air hose to clean the jet
B: CLEAN THE FLUE drop a tight fitting brush down the flue tied to some string each end and slide it up and down, you will be surprised how much soot comes down.

colyboy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes I got told it by the a service engineer in Portugal. It gets warmer and we instinctively turn the fridge up but it still doesn't get cold enough. Turning it down should make it warmer, but find that sweet spot and it makes it colder. Ours goes up to 5 but in warm weather the fridge is coldest when set at just above 3. Glad you got it sorted John (y)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We recently had the same trouble can I suggest two things.
A: high pressure air hose to clean the jet
B: CLEAN THE FLUE drop a tight fitting brush down the flue tied to some string each end and slide it up and down, you will be surprised how much soot comes down.

colyboy
I stripped it right down and the whole thing was absolutely spotless .. In fact think back, I have a sneaky suspicion the previous owner may have had a similar issue and had done the same thing as me.. But of course they did not have the insight of a Jim to point out the error of their ways ;)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If I want the house warmer, I turn the thermostat up (from 19 to 22) that means the boiler cuts out when the temperature reaches the higher setting and the result is a warmer house. Am I missing something?
Yeah but why do you want it hotter in winter, inside the house is the same never mind what it's like outside

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If I want the house warmer, I turn the thermostat up (from 19 to 22) that means the boiler cuts out when the temperature reaches the higher setting and the result is a warmer house. Am I missing something?

yes, I think you missed the point..

a thermostat keeps the room at a constant temperature at the set point that feels comfortable to you.. why put it higher in winter. ?

just as you don't need to adjust a fridge temperature down in summer.. it should stay at the set point irrespective of the ambient.. that's what the thermostat does.

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Sorry, but I don't understand either!

Right now my air-conditioning in my top floor apartment is set to
25ºC (it's on day and night!) - outside is at least 31ºC dropping to 25/26ºC at around 04:00am. Just to clarify it services all rooms, bathrooms and kitchen. Yet in Winter my gas central heating is set to 21ºC when outside is around 15ºC (which is cold for here!)

So I don't see the logic about keeping at the same temperature when in the Summer you are wearing very light weight clothes and during the Winter warmer woollies.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
So I don't see the logic about keeping at the same temperature when in the Summer you are wearing very light weight clothes and during the Winter warmer woollies.
Fair enough, but that would suggest that you should turn the thermostat down in winter, while Jim was asking why people turned it up.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our thermostat is set the same year round when we are at home (turn it down a bit when we go away because we don't need it so warm). The heating doesn't come on much during the warmer months but the setting enables it to if we get a cold snap. We wear lighter/warmer clothes depending on the time of year to compensate for the effects of outside temperatures.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Glad you put this on jaws(y)
Thought i was loosing the plot on this trip!!
Fridge was strugglin in high temps and accidently turned it down and it worked better!!

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
yes, I think you missed the point..

a thermostat keeps the room at a constant temperature at the set point that feels comfortable to you.. why put it higher in winter. ?

just as you don't need to adjust a fridge temperature down in summer.. it should stay at the set point irrespective of the ambient.. that's what the thermostat does.

Yes, understand all that but I don't put it higher in winter or lower in summer I just set it to what I want, when I want and as you say the thermostat keeps a constant temperature. Which I said, if I want a warmer house I turn it up, for not so warm just turn to down.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
On a general note, remember that not all fridge controls are thermostats. Some, particularly on older fridges, just turn the level of refrigeration up & down.

In that case, you do need to turn the level up & down to track the ambient temperature - up in summer & down in winter.

As far as I know, the 12V travel setting on 3-way fridges is always just on or off - I've never seen one with a variable control. Do some get turned off by a thermostat?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
On a general note, remember that not all fridge controls are thermostats. Some, particularly on older fridges, just turn the level of refrigeration up & down.

In that case, you do need to turn the level up & down to track the ambient temperature - up in summer & down in winter.

As far as I know, the 12V travel setting on 3-way fridges is always just on or off - I've never seen one with a variable control. Do some get turned off by a thermostat?

Correct.. on old style fridges the gas valve was / is controlled manually.. however, the 230v element is controlled by a thermostat.

12v travel , also correct.. they are just ON .. the 12v volt element is only intended to maintain the temperature when traveling.. not pull it down from ambient, and why it is advised to cool down the fridge for 24hrs using the mains or LPG before setting off from home.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

I can confirm that the unit fitted in my van is thermostatically controlled in all modes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back