Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, as we are new to our new motorhome life we have many questions to ask but the first is how to get out of the UK and over to France with our two little dogs and the cheapest way.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Hallo and :welcome:

We used DFDS last week, £39 each way, but it's gone up to £70ish at the moment. Have a look at P&O and Seafrance (the new one) :thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Bernie

As your van is 7.26 long and 3.20 high you may find you end up paying more on ferries (ie for anything over 6m you sometimes have to pay a supplement). We used to go on ferries but now use our Tesco vouchers and exchange them for Eurotunnel deals vouchers as you get 3 x face value so it usually only costs us £40 in Tesco vouchers (Eurotunnel full price is generally around £126-£132 for the cheaper fairs which are often still at good times) and we pay any balance in cash, it then costs us around £6 to post the deal vouchers to Eurotunnel (special delivery), so total cost is around £40 deals, £12 balance (max), £6 postage = £58. The only other cost, regardless of which operator you go with, is for the dogs which is usually £30 per dog (return) and has to be paid for in cash, not in vouchers.

One of our dogs had a very bad experience on a ferry and is terrified of them now, so we always use Eurotunnel - 35 mins crossing and you get a 4 hour window (2 hours before, 2 hours after your booked crossing time) when you can cross without penalty/extra charge (space permitting). If your dogs are in any way sensitive to noise etc then I would suggest you don't use a ferry! :Eeek: I wish we never had as she is now frightened of any bangs, clatters, even just driving over the cats eyes in the road can give her the heebie-geebies!!! :Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bernieb65

Bernieb65

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks to Minx for the advice about not using the ferry, one of our dogs Bailey already has the :Eeek::Wacko: heebie geebies regarding noise so that advice was appreciated. Will definitely be using Euro Tunnel. Will have to start shopping at Tesco in order to collect vouchers for next trip. Thanks Gill & Bernie :Smile::Smile:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Dont forget you need to get your dogs pet passports from the vets

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Have you tried Dover Eurochange... obviously in Dover near the Eastern Dock..we've used em a few times and when we have used them they came up with the best fares at the time and for the sailings we wanted heres a link http://www.dovereurochange.co.uk Hope this helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back