sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
You could or you would? don't you find all the dark wood a bit oppressive.
Personally I like all the solid wood, none of this weight saving extruded stuff, and you really have to go on a decent Yankee, a chunky diesel pusher or these Peterbilt types to get the sheer sense of power and comfort. Its indescribable and pictures do not do them justice. Can be a bit blingy for some!

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I confess I still havenā€™t watched it yet but I do hope itā€™s got a three stick shift on it (google three stick shiftingšŸ‘) but I doubt it, it will probably be autošŸ™„

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I confess I still havenā€™t watched it yet but I do hope itā€™s got a three stick shift on it (google three stick shiftingšŸ‘) but I doubt it, it will probably be autošŸ™„
Of course it will be, its Yankee! It will be a stunning Alison electronic box.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Interesting but really??

European Trucks tackled it using 2 switches, one for the range change and one for the splitter (half a gear) The attached video is someone demonstrating it on a Scania, Looks complicated but after a while your fingers just did it. I really miss it now nearly all trucks are auto, in fact its extra for a manual box on a Volvo.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Interesting but really??

European Trucks tackled it using 2 switches, one for the range change and one for the splitter (half a gear) The attached video is someone demonstrating it on a Scania, Looks complicated but after a while your fingers just did it. I really miss it now nearly all trucks are auto, in fact its extra for a manual box on a Volvo.

That looks slightly more sensible than WESTY66 's offering;) do you always have to use the splitter or do you forget that when lightly loaded, so normal changing up gears is change, split up, split down, change, split up, split down etc till you hit the top of the box and then high range and start again. Or does it cancel the up split when you change up?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
That looks slightly more sensible than WESTY66 's offering;) do you always have to use the splitter or do you forget that when lightly loaded, so normal changing up gears is change, split up, split down, change, split up, split down etc till you hit the top of the box and then high range and start again. Or does it cancel the up split when you change up?
Good morning Martin

You have to use the range change but you choose when to use the splitter. In effect it gave you 12 gears on a Volvo or Scania or 16 on a DAF. If you were at full weight you could end up using all of them but as you can see and hear in the video the guy only had about 10 tonnes on so he was only using the splitter on the higher gears as the drag increased. Running empty you could ignore the splitter completely. where a splitter really comes into its own is on hills where you clicked the splitter down and dip the clutch and lost half a gear.

There was an older Vario for sale recently on a MB 1220 with a 5 speed splitter which would have been very tempting but it was a coachbuilt

PS I was in a DC at Doncaster years ago and an agency guy came in with an MAN complaining that it was revving its nuts off at 30mph, he didnt know it had an upper range :unsure:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
When Sally and I were doing our C 10 years ago the company only had manual boxes and this was before the law change on HGV auto boxes. Sally could not get her head around the splitter and an instructor, not our one, at the company said think of it as going upstairs to high gears and downstairs to low ones, switch up, switch down. She passed before me!

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
When Sally and I were doing our C 10 years ago the company only had manual boxes and this was before the law change on HGV auto boxes. Sally could not get her head around the splitter and an instructor, not our one, at the company said think of it as going upstairs to high gears and downstairs to low ones, switch up, switch down. She passed before me!

Embarrassing or what :LOL:

Sue likes the fact that she could no longer be called upon to drive the MH, she didnt even feel comfortable in the Arto.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Sure was, and of course whenever its discussed we are all reminded, in detail:(

Now you can pass a C in an Auto box and be licensed to drive a manual split box:LOL:

Michael

Forget the split box, on a C1 can you also pass the test on an auto and drive a manual?

Asking for a (good) friend

Geoff.

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Good morning Martin

You have to use the range change but you choose when to use the splitter. In effect it gave you 12 gears on a Volvo or Scania or 16 on a DAF. If you were at full weight you could end up using all of them but as you can see and hear in the video the guy only had about 10 tonnes on so he was only using the splitter on the higher gears as the drag increased. Running empty you could ignore the splitter completely. where a splitter really comes into its own is on hills where you clicked the splitter down and dip the clutch and lost half a gear.

There was an older Vario for sale recently on a MB 1220 with a 5 speed splitter which would have been very tempting but it was a coachbuilt

PS I was in a DC at Doncaster years ago and an agency guy came in with an MAN complaining that it was revving its nuts off at 30mph, he didnt know it had an upper range :unsure:
I donā€™t have an HGV licence, however when I younger I was the real truck geek, as a 12 yr old I used to go with the drivers at the local quarry where my Nan worked in the canteen (the quarry i now work at)! I went with a guy who had a brand new 79 Volvo F10 (16 Speed) and through my school hols for 3 years I watched him work the box. Fast Forward to working at Hawkins Plant Services we got some Terberg 8 wheel drive off road tippers (Volvo F12 based with the 16 speed in) gaffer said do you know how to drive this?? Yes no problem jump in and Iā€™ll show you, so off We went shifting and splitting the gears, gaffer said ā€œwhere did you learn to drive these?ā€ When I was 12 I replied! šŸ˜‰šŸ˜‰šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Still think you need more skill to drive my offeringšŸ˜‰šŸ˜‰

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
and this was before the law change on HGV auto boxes.
Is this correct for how it is now?

"This policy is already in place, so every new HGV out there is operating with an automatic gearbox. While everyone needs to learn to drive a HGV in both manual and automatic, the tests will be taken in an automatic vehicle, which, will allow drivers to drive both automatic and manual HGV's "

I only ask as I was asking the lad next door what you took the test in here , as most now are auto, but he said no you have to pass in a manual lorry. Then you can drive either.
Sure was, and of course whenever its discussed we are all reminded, in detail:(

Now you can pass a C in an Auto box and be licensed to drive a manual split box:LOL:
Seems very odd to me when the car licence is the other way?:unsure:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Is this correct for how it is now?

"This policy is already in place, so every new HGV out there is operating with an automatic gearbox. While everyone needs to learn to drive a HGV in both manual and automatic, the tests will be taken in an automatic vehicle, which, will allow drivers to drive both automatic and manual HGV's "

I only ask as I was asking the lad next door what you took the test in here , as most now are auto, but he said no you have to pass in a manual lorry. Then you can drive either.

Seems very odd to me when the car licence is the other way?:unsure:
Sorry I am not sure what you are asking me?
Can you pass your HGV in an automatic?
As you have a manual car licence, when you take your training and pass your test using Automatic truck you will get a HGV / LGV licence and be able to drive Manual and Automatic vehicles.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Sorry I am not sure what you are asking me?
Can you pass your HGV in an automatic?
As you have a manual car licence, when you take your training and pass your test using Automatic truck you will get a HGV / LGV licence and be able to drive Manual and Automatic vehicles.
Thinking about this; one of the driver CPC "courses????" I did last year had a section on licences and this subject wasn't even mentioned. I know what the answer used to be that you had to pass in a lorry with a manual gearbox, but where would the driving schools even find one? they re rare than hens teeth these days.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back