Going to the show at Birmingham what to expect? (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
We have an inverter, a pure sine wave one we bought via eBay that has a peak output of 600w and matched this to a 600w hairdryer.

I know the wife would prefer to use the 2kw hairdryer from home, use the microwave and the air con unit as well but I felt we had to compromise on the weight and batteries required.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have an inverter, a pure sine wave one we bought via eBay that has a peak output of 600w and matched this to a 600w hairdryer.
It's not going to last long then for reliability you need to the continuous power to be at 20% higher than the the load, matching the peak power it will blow up in a very short space of time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
better to get 12v chargers for your laptops using an invertor to step 12v up to 240 and a converter to go down to the 18 or 19 your laptop needs is a bit pointless

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Only been to one show (Excel). Got bored after an hour, and after a few hours we were on our way home. Main problem seemed to be that there were so few visitors- so those of us that were there had to endure being approached by second rate salesmen ever few yards. Most of them I doubt couldn't sell a bottle of water to a dying man in a desert ::bigsmile:
Prices, even "show specials" were generally higher than could be had online - so take a smartphone with you and check before buying anything.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Don't expect too much, loads of caravans and motorhome but very few accessory stands and crowds and crowds of people and as others have said rubbish food at inflated prices. In my opinion your better off going somewhere like Peterborough where it's more open so if there are crowds it doesn't seem so bad and there are just as many if not more motorhomes to see and best of all you can stay with a load of Funsters and have some FUN. (y)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
............. don't be tempted into buying lots of knick knacks and gimmicky things which you think 'wow that looks like a must have in the motorhome'................. it isn't and in two years you'll be taking them out of the van as space wasters. :)

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Will be looking out for Britstops :)

We're on stand 3029 in Hall 3. On the "inside lane" as you go from Hall 2 to Hall 4. We're only a little stand, so here's a subtle plan:

Attachments

• NEC Feb 2015.jpg
    NEC Feb 2015.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 11

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Claustrophobia, smelly people,too expensive food ,crowds, aaaarrrggghh could go on...too much excitement for an old git like me...:Eeek:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
It's not going to last long then for reliability you need to the continuous power to be at 20% higher than the the load, matching the peak power it will blow up in a very short space of time.

No it's okay its not a cheap Chinese inverter. Its from a range specifically designed for permanent use in marine applications so 600w peak actually means 1kw peak and it has overload protection, buzzers and LED indicators. Couldn't afford it new - but it was a steal second hand

...and of course you don't dry your hair for hours - most of the time the load is <60w

OP
OP

Deleted User
Don't expect too much, loads of caravans and motorhome but very few accessory stands and crowds and crowds of people and as others have said rubbish food at inflated prices. In my opinion your better off going somewhere like Peterborough where it's more open so if there are crowds it doesn't seem so bad and there are just as many if not more motorhomes to see and best of all you can stay with a load of Funsters and have some FUN. (y)
We are away from 25th until Summer, it will be an experience if nothing else, I'm sure we will find something we have to buy :)

OP
OP

Deleted User
better to get 12v chargers for your laptops using an invertor to step 12v up to 240 and a converter to go down to the 18 or 19 your laptop needs is a bit pointless
It doesn't charge with the inverter we have, Nige does all the technical stuff, I'm sure he has reasons for wanting a better inverter, he will probably post his own questions if he needs any help, when he 's around. Must remember to keep signing my name so no confusion when he posts :D

Lin

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Spoilsport.

Alan once stood watching a demo for some pointless tat and when the salesman said "who wants one?" Alan shot his hand up in the air and everyone else, including me, walked away!. He ended up buying a piece of expensive hose with a brush on the end that he used once :cry:

I now steer him away from such demos ;)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Alan once stood watching a demo for some pointless tat and when the salesman said "who wants one?" Alan shot his hand up in the air and everyone else, including me, walked away!. He ended up buying a piece of expensive hose with a brush on the end that he used once :cry:

send him to us please xxx At least we give Funsters 10% discount lol

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
If you really really want a hair dryer :eek: then it might be worth looking for some BIG EXTRA BATTERIES :ROFLMAO: so that the invertor you buy can suck the life out of them :rolleyes:

Don't wanna sound rude here but a hair dryer???? Leave it behind :)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
What do I do after leaving the site swearing NEVER AGAIN, I normaly take a troll down the A5 to stay off the M1 but there might be something nice??? to see or visit in that area, I've done the Bike museum, Kenilworth castle, and a few others but do not know the area very well and do not speak Urdu for the City itself. Might roll up to Cosford RAF museum.
I have a couple of things I want from CAK and they are nearby if bits not at the show.

OP
OP

Deleted User
If you really really want a hair dryer :eek: then it might be worth looking for some BIG EXTRA BATTERIES :ROFLMAO: so that the invertor you buy can suck the life out of them :rolleyes:

Don't wanna sound rude here but a hair dryer???? Leave it behind :)
Nige doesn't want it for a hairdryer, I was the one that tripped fuse on current one, using a hairdryer as I thought it was a fair item to check if it worked. It was a tiny travel one, it didn't. I'm sure Nige has a 100 other (man) uses. I don't normally use a hairdryer, but we do need something to run a vacuum as 3 dogs creates a lot of mess, I would also like to use the iron. :D. @scousebird Not a bad comparison of what my hair looks like ag the moment, have we met? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

I purchased one of those,,,absolute rubbish but looked good at the time. Dare not list the other useless stuff i have purchased over the years. Must do a car boot. BUSBY:):):)

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
I purchased one of those,,,absolute rubbish but looked good at the time. Dare not list the other useless stuff i have purchased over the years. Must do a car boot. BUSBY:):):)

there were 2 of you that owned one then?

What's the saying? A fool and his money are soon parted. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

OP
OP

Deleted User
Iron...... IRON ? Now you're just taking the mickey :eek: Leave it behind !:)
Over 12 plus weeks there is the odd occasion I might want to wear something other than cut offs and t-shirts. :) We will be living in van most of coming year, need more that just holiday usage stuff. :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back