Free Member
May 29, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Platinum
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, we are heading to Spain in late December, looking for good places to stay for the winter and will probably stay until August. Any suggestions?
Many thanks

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Depends what you are after, a lot of motorhomers stay at Benidorm which is a large, busy place with good beaches and lots of tourists, bars etc. Others prefer quieter places but there are many places to choose from

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Unless you have booked somewhere already you maybe disappointed. Lot of the sites are already full. As for Wild Camping you have to be there to find out where they are as the Police start moving long term residents on. Also remember that the maximum you can stay is 3 months. Then you have the dreaded insurance to sort. Not a lot of insurance companies are interested in long term aboard. You will also find that a lot of the smaller coastal resorts are closed for the winter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Unless you have booked somewhere already you maybe disappointed. Lot of the sites are already full. As for Wild Camping you have to be there to find out where they are as the Police start moving long term residents on. Also remember that the maximum you can stay is 3 months. Then you have the dreaded insurance to sort. Not a lot of insurance companies are interested in long term aboard. You will also find that a lot of the smaller coastal resorts are closed for the winter.
Where did the 3 months come from, it's new to me and we have stayed 6 months for the last few years.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have been going down over the last five years at this time and never booked and always get a pitch somewhere(y) so don’t be put off we usually stay around 4 months without any problems. I think @QFour is trying to put you off going.(y)(y)(y) Get down there and enjoy.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We have been going down over the last five years at this time and never booked and always get a pitch somewhere(y) so don’t be put off we usually stay around 4 months without any problems. I think @QFour is trying to put you off going.(y)(y)(y) Get down there and enjoy.

Not really bothered what he does .. The site at Playa de Mazarron had three places left over Christmas when we left 6 weeks ago. Other people we meet said there were a lot of Germans on the sites and sites were getting full. If the Spanish stop Wild Camping by the sea there is not going to be a lot of room left.

After seeing some of the NEW Aires with minimal space and MH packed in like sardines don't know why people bother or is it the beer googles that get in the way.

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Not really bothered what he does .. The site at Playa de Mazarron had three places left over Christmas when we left 6 weeks ago. Other people we meet said there were a lot of Germans on the sites and sites were getting full. If the Spanish stop Wild Camping by the sea there is not going to be a lot of room left.

After seeing some of the NEW Aires with minimal space and MH packed in like sardines don't know why people bother or is it the beer googles that get in the way.

Places left... Getting full but not full....

I am more of a crack on and it will work its self out type person. From the above id have no issue just rocking up. After all its a house on wheels. Home is where you park it. And you can always roll a little further down the road.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Slightly off topic, and I really should resist this posting temptation but...

I have learnt over many, many years of wintering in the sun to...

ALWAYS take what your are told by other motorhomers with a huge pinch of salt. I believe the "Powers That Be" are changing the phrase "Chinese Whispers" to "Motorhomers' Whispers".

Situations change almost daily in the "Motorhomes in the Sun World"...

... a site that is full on Tuesday can have several pitches available on Wednesday. Off-site locations that have had a police clear out one day often have motorhomers back the next...

Secondly, the thinking that if the police move lots of motorhomers off a "non-site" location then the nearby campsites will fill up, does not make any sense based on my experience.

Off-site motorhomers who are moved, go on to another off-site location. They rarely move onto campsites.

I only ever believe the evidence of my own eyes, not what I heard from a guy that a friend of my cousin says he saw.

Sorry to interrupt...

JJ :cool:

Elias

Free Member
Oct 11, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2016
We are in Spain at the moment and are using www.searchforsites.co.uk to find sites, perfect for us as we are always on the move but I've noticed there are a lot of long term motorhomes staying at most of the sites that we've visited.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
ALWAYS take what your are told by other motorhomers with a huge pinch of salt. I believe the "Powers That Be" are changing the phrase "Chinese Whispers" to "Motorhomers' Whispers".

Edgar Allen Poe (allegedly) wrote "Believe Nothing You Hear, and Only One Half That You See" - perhaps he was one of the early motorhomers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back