Going to France (1 Viewer)

Jun 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B514SL Gold ed
Exp
Fairly new to motorhome started early 2019
We have a Hymer B514SL 6.5 metres and were hoping to travel Europe this year for the first time in it but with Covid etc. have now decided to just get over to France at the start of July. We might go Brittany Ferries Portsmouth Caen but also might think about the tunnel, we will be starting from Devon. Anybody have any hints or tips on best way to go over and an ideal route to take for possible 3 weeks.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
...have now decided to just get over to France at the start of July. .....Anybody have any hints or tips on best way to go over
If the 'lead person' is over 60 there's 20% discount on the whole ticket (except for a cabin) on the Newhaven route. You have to book by phone.
and an ideal route to take for possible 3 weeks.
To which part(s) of France?

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We like the tunnel. When we did three weeks in France we went down as far as La Bernerie-en-Retz, which has an aire and also a basic campsite overlooking the beach. We pretty much followed the coast down and back and stopped at the places that we liked the look of.

We found that this distance was just right for us. This was our first trip abroad in a motorhome, so everything was new to us. We also like a holiday rather than an endurance trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Woofer wills
Jun 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B514SL Gold ed
Exp
Fairly new to motorhome started early 2019
Thanks for your feedback. We have some friends living near Limoges and would travel to see them and yes my wife likes the sound of the beach as she is a keen swimmer, we will be taking our Cocker Spaniel as well. We have travelled in our car to France a few times but not in the motorhome which we got last year and only spent 3 long weekends in Devon really so would be relative newbies too.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I used to use mappy which works out the cost for each route. You can plan routes through France and it will show the cost with and without tolls. I liked the Dieppe to Newhaven rout, not unbearable for the animals and bith Dieppe and Newhaven are easy access and exit. My daughterā€™s family go from Portsmouth which is also very easy access. If youā€™re going to western France itā€™s a long drive to Dover then all the way west along the French coast.

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
We take the dog whoā€™s not good on his own in the bowels of a ferry so always use the tunnel

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
has it been stated anywhere that travel to France will be open in July?

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Thanks for your feedback. We have some friends living near Limoges and would travel to see them and yes my wife likes the sound of the beach as she is a keen swimmer, we will be taking our Cocker Spaniel as well. We have travelled in our car to France a few times but not in the motorhome which we got last year and only spent 3 long weekends in Devon really so would be relative newbies too.

We particularly like the tunnel because of the dog. It's great being able to stay in your vehicle and our dog doesn't seem to notice we're in a tunnel.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
BF have cancelled all passenger sailings until at least 28th June. I wouldn't count on this deadline not being extended. You might be okay with a July booking but be prepared to get a voucher if it is cancelled.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Devon has to be a consideration for BF. 6-8 hours to tunnel (and back) just to drive back past Rouen (3 hours) makes 20 hours unnecessary driving and 14 of them on British roads !
I cant talk as i live 30 minutes from Portsmouth and it is quicker for me to get to Rouen by driving the 2 hours to the tunnel (and a dam site cheaper)

I would be getting updates on BF as they have just put back their booking systems according to what i have read. Do a google search for BF uk quarantine and look at the news in the last 24 hours (tools on right hand side) and that should give you some up to date info.

Worth doing a "UK quarantine" search as well. I am doing that hourly atm in anticipation of leaving Monday morning on tunnel.

Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
Look here :

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
spitfire cant find it to hand. It was within the same news as Austria not wanting us and it was a couple of hours ago.
When i read it, it said it was announced, but in hindsight I should have about 20 notifications so either a misprint or a misread.
Should be coming in the next couple of days though.

Found this whilst looking for it for the OP

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Look here :

This one states France plan to do 15th June. I thought i had read an official announcement but that is yet to come.
It will (imho) but it just hasnt happened yet

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We have a Hymer B514SL 6.5 metres and were hoping to travel Europe this year for the first time in it but with Covid etc. have now decided to just get over to France at the start of July. We might go Brittany Ferries Portsmouth Caen but also might think about the tunnel, we will be starting from Devon. Anybody have any hints or tips on best way to go over and an ideal route to take for possible 3 weeks.

If you Tesco shop or have a Tesco credit card then your Tesco points have 3 times the value on a tunnel booking.
By using our Tesco vouchers, last years tunnel crossing and return cost us Ā£11 but we have not a crewed so many vouchers this year so our "fingers crossed" September tunnel crossing is costing a little over 50 quid return for our 7.3 metre van.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
My son takes his dog on the Newhaven route but the dog isn't very happy about it as although it's a 4hr crossing the dog is shut in the car for 5 hours or even longer with disembarkation delays. There's a lot of banging and loud clanking and sirens going off on the car decks and the car is wedged tightly/claustrophobically between the lorries. Very bad weather can cause car alarms to sound.
They say you can visit the dog with a crew member but my son only did that once as it tended to unsettle the dog.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
The French government have been saying for some time that they are ā€œfavourableā€ to the internal european borders reopening on June 15th, the Prime Minister said so in his speech on May 28th. I donā€™t think there has been an official announcement yet that it will definitely happen, but they havenā€™t said that it wonā€™t. I suspect the president will confirm it when he speaks to the country on Sunday evening.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Have the foreign office lifted the non essential travel status yet?
Thats a no.
there have been 2 adjustments to their website recently
About 3 days ago they added a banner type thing saying it was constantly being reviewed
About a day ago they stated they were reviewing it.

My thoughts, and my thoughts only, having done an awful lot of reading current events around this area, are that FCO advice will change on Monday for some countries in Europe. Between now and Sunday France will announce its open borders. (germany and Austria announced their intentions today)
29th June Quarantine for Uk will continue with air bridges for most of europe (if not whole of europe) but it is important to me when they announce this.

There is even talk of a mutiny within the conservative party to oust BJ over his handling of this whole thing especially the quarantine which is universally disliked.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
mine is at 1620 on Monday 15th June and has been for quite some time ..... i thought i had booked the 16th June but checked my booking a day or so ago - phew .. wouldnt want to miss my shuttle ...:whew::whew:

i also suggested quite some time ago that quarantine will be lifted in the UK on or around the 29th June (gives them three weeks, so they can save face)

suavecarve is booked on an earlier train than i am though !!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
mine is at 1620 on Monday 15th June and has been for quite some time ..... i thought i had booked the 16th June but checked my booking a day or so ago - phew .. wouldnt want to miss my shuttle ...:whew::whew:

i also suggested quite some time ago that quarantine will be lifted in the UK on or around the 29th June (gives them three weeks, so they can save face)

suavecarve is booked on an earlier train than i am though !!

If quarantine is still in force in the UK it will be in France. I had a crossing booked for 1 July and contacted the ferry company yesterday to see what the situation was. I will not be staying in France this trip but transiting to Germany. I was told by the ferry company that I would not be allowed to board without exceptional reason to enter France, ie, live or work there. Was offered a later crossing, free of charge for one week later with the option to change at any time.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
This is a useful link
Unfortunate that it hasnt been updated since 9th as it has been updated frequently

It tells you what the situation is in all the different countries in terms of campsites open and rules of entry or expected entry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back