Going to Europe for the first time (1 Viewer)

BFM14

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
Leicester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
We have had our motorhome for a few years but only travelled within UK. Going to Europe in April for 2 months and would appreciate any advice. Our plan is to go on Eurotunnel and then through France, Luxemburg, Germany, Austria and then stopping for a while at Lake Garda before moving on to Rome and Florence. Would really like any advice on routes, campsites etc.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We have done a route similar to this many times. We always stay in a campsite in La Rochette in Luxembourg, from memory I think it is called Xixerella. It has brilliant facilities including a great swimming pool. Good restaurant and loads of kids activities.
I would recommend staying in Munich if you are going to Germany. There is a campsite called Camping Obermenzing, which is a short train ride from the city centre. The facilities are very basic, it is little more than a forest on the outskirts of Munich, however it is cheap, the shop sells the essential items (beer & milk). The reception is very helpful and will sell tickets for public transport along with directions for places to visit. Hofbrauhaus is a must visit!
We found Lake Garda very underwhelming, the campsites were awful, small with limited facilities. The area was too commercial for our liking. We stayed near Garda Land, we thought it would be nice for our daughter. We much prefer Lake Como, there is a little village called Domaso on the lake, we have stayed a few times in this village, the name of the campsite escapes me, but it is small so booking is essential.
By sheer chance we stayed near to the leaning tower last year, and happened upon a campsite that was 10 minutes walk from the Tower. The site was brilliant, would definitely stay there again.
When I have the campsite names to hand I will post again :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
If going to luxembourg I would recommend going via belgium to avoid the french tolls - just avoid the pot holes.
Great campsite in Luxembourg City is http://www.camping-alzingen.lu/en/ which is also ASCI. Apparently has good public transport just outside the site into the city but we cycled in along the river by cycle path, 90 % easy and flat with the odd slope thrown in and it took a leisurely 30 minutes. Campsite immaculate, large pitches, friendly staff and of course the cheapest fuel.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back