Going Full Time, What Motorhome? Our Budget (1 Viewer)

MovingLives90

Free Member
Jun 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Hi People, me and my partner have decided were going to go full time but we wont be going full time in our current van, for us to go full time we've come to the conclusion that a 4 to 6 birth motorhome would be more suited, we have a Budget of 12K we're aware for that price were looking at old motorhomes 25 to 30 year old, we've looked at the usual suspects for that price and age, Talbots etc but we thought we'd better seek some other opinions, we would like to go be able to go Off Grid alot so including that into our Budget maybe were looking closer at 9 to 10k for the motorhome with the remaining 2 to 3k being spent on solar and decent leisure battery's. we just want a motorhome that's mechanically sound, dry and rot free, is that a big ask for our budget? so i suppose our questions to you would be are,

1) what are good motorhomes to be looking at for our budget?
2) are there any preowned dealers that sell old motorhomes in our budget?

i read somewhere that Hymer motorhomes are good for not getting damp and rot, is this correct?

scottie

Free Member
Mar 2, 2013
chandlers ford
Funster No
MH
Astec Devon 2008
Exp
July 2012
Hi, welcome to fun. 95 views so far since am today. Dont think anyone can really answer your 2 questions, based on the financial spend you have available. You might after a lot or research find a private seller willing to off load a 25 to 30 year old van, thats if they still exist. I dont k ow your age profile, existing housing status, source of income etc, or whether you think the idea of full timing seemed a good idea at the time. I know a few funster fulltimers, one new lady i met a few weeks ago. In her case, she sold her property, bought her van, very new, so probably 38k, had money in savings from the house, state and small company pension, had a uk postal address via her daughter, and room on daughters driveway to park van if need be. Also had access to medical care and support from daughter and family. For security reasons the lady would be mostly using sites, but managed to negotiate vastly reduced fees. It may be that you have all these things in place, but i doubt it. Again most of the funsters i know have bricks and mortar back up, even some of the full timers, property rented out, on assured shorthold and then periodic tenancies, so they can access property in the future when old age and medical issues creep up. So im sorry, i havent been able to answer your 2 questions, but hopefully left you a few things to think about. I hope that some of the funsters who are full timers come back to you, because they live the dream daily. Good luck in your quest.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Take a look on FB Hymer market there are some on there in your price range but cannot vouch for anyšŸ˜ŠšŸ‘

scottie

Free Member
Mar 2, 2013
chandlers ford
Funster No
MH
Astec Devon 2008
Exp
July 2012
Well a day later and as i thought, little interest in your post. I know why, and thats why i came back to you yesterday. However again, good luck in your quest.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
There is a Kontiki669 Vogue on eBay tag axle fixed bed solar and genie very rare only a few made. Ā£16k. 81k on the clock. Would made an ideal ft vehicle on a budget.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Donā€™t bother spending all that money on solar etc on a 10 grand motorhome, buy a generator . You can always sell it separate if you come to sell the van.
Your traditional route of genny would work, and keeping in the theme of traditional maybe he could get a deal on a mangle at the same time, great for drying washing and he could stow it where he keeps his genny and petrolcan (y) :D

mangle.jpg

Otherwise, Solar is a great investment and easily taken with you if you decide to change vans.

JJ

MƔgica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I live solo (most of the time).

I fulltime in a Burstner based on a Ducato Talento which cost me well less than Ā£10,000 and came with solar fitted.

I already had a genny.

I don't drive fast and I expect to have to do repairs (bodges) every now and again.

If I had to pay someone to fix stuff, I would be broke all the time!

The great thing about older motorhomers is that they are so much easier to fix... no control panels with confusing lights of varying colours, no engine management computers which switch you into "limp mode" in the middle of nowhere.

Mind you... my vehicle (and lifestyle) is totally "status free".

People pity me, burglars leave behind sandwiches for me and the police don't bother me because they don't think I could pay any fine... :rofl:

I advise anyone who wants to go "fulltime" to definitely try it but don't expect to live the same way you do in a house...

JJ :cool:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
JJ is blessed with technical abilities, some of us are not ,so transferring solar etc is beyond us. So picking up a generator by the handle to transfer is a lot easier for some of us.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Best bet is to look at lots, even travelling distance to view since they generally look and smell better in photos than than they do in the flesh.

If you're full timing you need to ensure that the payload is sufficient.
Generators are pretty heavy so will mop up a fair bit of the payload.

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
Please forget generators for off grid wild camping...
Motorhomers are hated enough without winding up locals with a generator.

Solor ....fit and forget...

As mentioned above old hymers are good vans for full time.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You might even try being camp site wardens (or assistant wardens) for a season as that would give you (a very little) extra cash but a free pitch.

I can't help with the van but our first motorhome , an old Hymer (petrol not diesel so an easy LPG conversion) would have suited you. It had a built in genny which was very quiet in operation as we fitted an exhaust with silencer which worked brilliantly.

I assume you have a C1 license?

You don't say where you are based so difficult to give advice about dealers......... you could ring round a few and let them know what you are after and the price range as they may have taken one in as a p/ex and don't want it on their forecourt. Also some storage places might know of owners who are looking to sell.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Please keep us up to date with what you end up doing ,do it while you can eh?

JJ

MƔgica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Please forget generators for off grid wild camping...
Motorhomers are hated enough without winding up locals with a generator.

I have never ever ever had any complaints from any locals anywhere about my rare use of my generator.

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
I have never ever ever had any complaints from any locals anywhere about my rare use of my generator.

The times they are a changing..
people are complaining about everything these days .. fumes..noise .
No campfires.No BBQs .
We had a local lob a stone at our van one night. .šŸ˜”

Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
I sold my house last week and haven't bought so I will try full timing for an unspecified period.
I'm quite happy to pay for a stay on site, just hope I and the van stay healthy.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
just hope I and the van stay healthy.

Don't worry yourself There is tons of help here 24/7, there are mechanics all over the UK. if you feel poorly you can present your self at any doctors surgery or dial 111 and take directions. Enjoy the full timing (y)

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
You have to consider how you deal with the winter. Summer time it is easy.
Lots of vans are not upto winter living for more than a day or two (my one included)
We are fine on a site with hook up etc but that's just for a few days. I couldn't do it full time unless I got as far as Morocco for the winter. To winter in the uk you need some special kit.
There are good old vans out there but you have to wade through a lot of rot to find one.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
hope youve allowed for the cost of fulltime insurance and weather you can actually get it on a van as old as your budget suggests

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Looks like OP hasnā€™t posted since their first post back in June 2021 šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015
Don't worry yourself There is tons of help here 24/7, there are mechanics all over the UK. if you feel poorly you can present your self at any doctors surgery or dial 111 and take directions. Enjoy the full timing (y)
Not sure about the doctors! They are rare and hidden away somewhere

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back