Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Co. Tipperary, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
three years
Next year, august 2010 we plan on going to parts of Eastern Europe during our annual European tour.

We will have three weeks in total and will be covering; Cherbourg, Paris, Strasbourg, where the kids want to visit Europa Land. Then it’s on to Munich and after that Vienna, Bratislava, Oświęcim [the Polish town where Auschwitz concentration camp is near], then we’ll continue on to Poznan where we’ll be meeting a friend of mine before going to Berlin. After Berlin we’ll be making our way to Liege to see some more friends before finally working our way back to Cherbourg for the boat back to Ireland.

I am looking for any camping advice you may have on places like Strasburg, Munich, Vienna, Oświęcim, Poznan or Berlin.
Yes, it’s a bit early and a lot to ask but I thought I get the info now rather than wait until too close to the off date.
Any advice would be appreciated :Smile:

PS: I have posted the elsewhere but duplicate it here so as to get the widest possible advice.

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Depending on your interests, Dachau concentration camp is close to Munich and well worth a visit. It's certainly a more intense experience and less 'touristy' than Auschwitz.

Campingplatz Ampersee (N 48.22958° E 11.35877°) is very close to Dachau. Another which is slightly further away Campingplatz Langwieder-See (N 48.1988° E 11.41056°) though Munich itself is not that far from either. I'd suggest P&R if going to Munich rather than trying to navigate through with a motorhome. It's busy!

Camping Korona (N 49.96255° E 19.89064°) at Gaj on the outskirts of Krakow is the best site if you want to visit Auschwitz (about half an hours drive) and also an excellent location from which to visit Krakow. I've stayed on this site two years running now and thoroughly recommend it.

For Berlin try Campingplatz am Liepnitzsee....
Camping In Deutschland » Campingplatz Barnimer Land » Campingplatz in Brandenburg » Campingplatz Campingplatz Am Liepnitzsee

This site whilst not exactly cheap is one of the best i've stayed on and the toilet and shower block is unbelievable and would easily match any five star hotel. It's location makes it ideal for visiting Berlin using P&R facility where parking is totally free all day and a 'go anywhere' ticket on public transport costs just 6 euro. Pankow S-Bahn is right by the P&R and though your ticket also covers use of the U-Bahn (underground), i'd advise sticking to the S-Bahn where possible as they are more easy to follow exactly where you are.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Travel Lightly

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Co. Tipperary, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
three years
Depending on your interests, Dachau concentration camp is close to Munich and well worth a visit. It's certainly a more intense experience and less 'touristy' than Auschwitz.

Campingplatz Ampersee (N 48.22958° E 11.35877°) is very close to Dachau. Another which is slightly further away Campingplatz Langwieder-See (N 48.1988° E 11.41056°) though Munich itself is not that far from either. I'd suggest P&R if going to Munich rather than trying to navigate through with a motorhome. It's busy!

Camping Korona (N 49.96255° E 19.89064°) at Gaj on the outskirts of Krakow is the best site if you want to visit Auschwitz (about half an hours drive) and also an excellent location from which to visit Krakow. I've stayed on this site two years running now and thoroughly recommend it.

For Berlin try Campingplatz am Liepnitzsee....
Camping In Deutschland » Campingplatz Barnimer Land » Campingplatz in Brandenburg » Campingplatz Campingplatz Am Liepnitzsee

This site whilst not exactly cheap is one of the best i've stayed on and the toilet and shower block is unbelievable and would easily match any five star hotel. It's location makes it ideal for visiting Berlin using P&R facility where parking is totally free all day and a 'go anywhere' ticket on public transport costs just 6 euro. Pankow S-Bahn is right by the P&R and though your ticket also covers use of the U-Bahn (underground), i'd advise sticking to the S-Bahn where possible as they are more easy to follow exactly where you are.

Excellent advice, and will make our experiences even more memorable. We haven't concidered the P&R option before but I can see the merit, especially in those areas that we wouldn't know. Thanks too for the campsite coordinates, which will make life so much easier - we do have a GPS [Garmin], it's two years old but fully updated every three months. To be honest, we'd be lost without it.

And thanks for reminding me about the Dachau concentration camp, we had only intended visiting Auschwitz but seeing as we'd be so close to Dachau we'll definitely include it in the itenary.

We will also be visiting Hitler's home, the place in the mountains, eagles Nest. Do you or anyone else have advice on this place?

Again thanks for all the info.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

weymard

Free Member
Jan 25, 2009
CHERBOURG NORMANDY
Funster No
MH
US TRUCK CAMPER
Exp
:Smile: When you will arrive to Cherbourg, tell me , I am living at 12 km !
My English is basic but it will be a pleasure to meet you around a drink !

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
We will also be visiting Hitler's home, the place in the mountains, eagles Nest. Do you or anyone else have advice on this place?
Yes.....it was one of the places i visited on my tour last month. It's location is at Berchtesgaden which you will probably already know.

The road to the carpark area is quite steep and the hairpin bends are far from good so take care driving this road. The carpark is quite large though i'd advise going as early as possible. Don't bother with any guided tour as they are very expensive. You are taken from the carpark to the foot of the Eagles Nest by bus along a four mile road which has been closed to public vehicles for a few years now. The road climbs quite steeply and the smell of burning clutches lingers in the air. They must have to replace them regularly!

When the bus drops you off, you walk through a long tunnel cut into the mountain side to a lift which then takes you to the Eagles Nest itself. The lift is amazing as its been kept entirely original and in working order since it was built.

Allow yourself at least 2 or 3 hours bearing in mind the weather can be very changeable and photo opportunities can disappear quite quickly.

Admission price is 15 euro which includes the bus.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Less than five minutes separate these two photographs!

1zg4zk3.jpg

1qhc0o.jpg

OP
OP
T

Travel Lightly

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Co. Tipperary, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
three years
:Smile: When you will arrive to Cherbourg, tell me , I am living at 12 km !
My English is basic but it will be a pleasure to meet you around a drink !

That is extremely kind of you.

Our original intention once off the boat was to make it to Paris for that evening, sleep there in a place we know and then continue on the next morning to Salzburg. However,it would be great to meet up with fellow campers enthusiasts in France, so if at all possible we'd like that.:Smile:

@ Bulletguy.

Those photos tell it all, really. Thanks for sharing them. Hopefully we'll have good weather when we get there. Thanks too for the advice on the road leading up to the site; I'll most certainly take it easy, if it's anything like Montsegur in southern France then I know what to expect.::bigsmile:

I don't suppose you have the coordinates for Berchtesgaden:Cool:

OP
OP
T

Travel Lightly

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Co. Tipperary, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
three years
That's terrific. I visited the google website and changed the terrain to satellite and got to see an actual picture of the area. Amazing. You can see where the road bends up the mountain, and everything.

Thanks very much for this link.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
T/Lightly.....another 'not to be missed' POI in the area is the Burg Hohenwerfen, a stunning castle just 25 miles south of Salzburg and even less from Berchtesgaden.

Take the A10 autobahn heading due south toward Werfen.

No clues or prizes for guessing what this castle is most famed for!

10qxidw.jpg

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
That's terrific. I visited the google website and changed the terrain to satellite and got to see an actual picture of the area. Amazing. You can see where the road bends up the mountain, and everything.

Thanks very much for this link.
That appears to be the road the buses use (can't quite locate the carpark though).....and they aren't exactly small buses either! Hence the burning clutches!

OP
OP
T

Travel Lightly

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Co. Tipperary, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
three years
T/Lightly.....another 'not to be missed' POI in the area is the Burg Hohenwerfen, a stunning castle just 25 miles south of Salzburg and even less from Berchtesgaden.

Take the A10 autobahn heading due south toward Werfen.

No clues or prizes for guessing what this castle is most famed for!

10qxidw.jpg

Ah, yes, the movie Where Eagles Dare was filmed here. Another place we must try and add to the itinerary.

Thanks for that reminder.

This part of the country is not an area we have visited before so will try and include as much as possible on the visit, the Lord knows when we might be able to get back again:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back