Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I was just reading an article on the CC website about how reliant we are on our sat-nav systems, it's true though we are. We were going to the New Forest CC site earlier in the year, I had never been so I looked it up on Google Earth, I know the area so I had it in my head what turn I should be taking off the main Christchurch road. Wife had the sat-nav on and getting close she said it was not that turning it is about 3 miles further down. Not wishing to have a 'I told you so moment' I followed the sat-nav. We did a 7 mile trip round the back of the site through some small lanes. On leaving I went the way I thought we should have some in, the way all the other moterhomers were using and no problem at all, just half a mile to the main road. Could not resist the "I told you so" moment though :D:D:D
Sat-Nav's are good but I sometimes wonder how far off track they take us.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
That's why BaseCamp and my Garmin are now my new favourite toys. You can plot the route, using the description on the CC site or CL and plot it into BaseCamp and then upload to Sat Nav (y).

Well that's the theory, I'll let you know if it works in practice :)!!!

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
We have lost a lot of faith in the TomTom recently and I now try to have a good idea of the general direction in which it should be taking us

A few weeks ago we were returning from Norwich to Newcastle. TomTom took us down the A11 towards Cambridge and Newmarket, rather than by Kings Lynn. When I got home I checked the routes on Via Michelin. TomTom route was 320 miles and 6hrs 16mins. Kings Lynn (via Michelin first choice route) was 257 miles and 5hrs 14 mins

Presumably the reason TomTom chose the much longer route was because it was much more on dual carriageways

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Dare I say mine is also a Tom Tom!
Coming back from Birmingham in my wife's car I left the NEC at 1pm, I had to be home near Gatwick before 4pm as the repair shop fixing my car shuts then, all seemed fine for a 3.30pm arrival, M40-M25-M23 simple but then the M25 was getting closer and the time moved up and up as I went round, now saying 4.15pm so with nothing to lose I turned off and used the cross country route from Leatherhead, I arrived at 3.45pm! My sat-nav tried to steel half an hour of my valuable time, worst of all it would have been on the ever lovely M25 :mad::mad::mad:.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
With CC sites it is well worth looking at the directions on their web site for which roads to use close to the camp site. At Abbey Wood, for instance, it takes you round the houses a bit but avoids a road which can apparently cause problems for large vehicles (I checked with a motorhoming warden when we were there once).

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Well that's the theory, I'll let you know if it works in practice :)!!!
It should do.
Was going to CC site in Melrose and BaseCamp routed us through the town which CC say you should avoid. So, changed the routing in BaseCamp to mirror CC directions and loaded to sat nav. Worked fine.(y)

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I have always had Garmin up to buying the Mh. I very rarely used a sat nav in the car but the garmin on the motorbike was great, planning a route the night before was part of the fun.
When I bought the MH I decided that we would be travelling long distances in places we were unfamiliar and on the wrong side of the road. The convenience of the Tom Tom was therefore what I went for in the end.
If I were to buy another though it would be Garmin the Tom Tom is just to Dogmatic and the inability to plan the routes I wanted to use in Spain & Portugal last year hist me off.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Hows about trying the ViaMichelin app on the phone? It was a recommendation on a funster thread where I saw it, tried it earlier this year and have used it ever since. It also shows costs on tolls that I found pretty accurate as well. It has option of car or car with caravan. I found that the true toll cost would be somewhere in between for us. It also often comes up with more than one route letting you decide which one you like the best.

It's pretty good, worth a look (y).

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
A few weeks ago we were returning from Norwich to Newcastle. TomTom took us down the A11 towards Cambridge and Newmarket, rather than by Kings Lynn. When I got home I checked the routes on Via Michelin. TomTom route was 320 miles and 6hrs 16mins. Kings Lynn. Presumably the reason TomTom chose the much longer route was because it was much more on dual carriageways

My ex wife lives in Kings Lynn :devil:... so it could have been routing you via Cambridge for safety reasons ;).

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
We were following our Garmin Sat Nav's directions in Plymouth when I decided we needed fuel, so pulled off the route. She, the Sat Nav, never spoke to me again - ever! Fortunately, it was still under guarantee from Halfords and they swapped it for another one.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I am tempting fate by saying this, I know, but since we bought the Snooper (S7000, for motorhomes) a while back, I have never had any trouble. You can set it for the height, width and weight of the van and it has all the campsites, ACSI sites, and camper stops on it, plus Bluetooth to take calls through and it has a very big screen so even on the dash of the Hymer I can see it clearly. Not cheap. But worth it so far. Gary

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I had a great evening with a police driver friend. One accident we attended involved a young girl who had turned right at a red set of traffic lights. Her reasoning? - the GPS had told her to turn right so she did!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Well, Mrs A says I never listen to her when she gives me driving directions, and so she doesn't feel discriminated against, I don't listen to the sat nav either.
I'm a bloke....I don't ask for directions, and I don't need anyone telling me which way to go.....:whistle:

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I am tempting fate by saying this, I know, but since we bought the Snooper (S7000, for motorhomes) a while back, I have never had any trouble. You can set it for the height, width and weight of the van and it has all the campsites, ACSI sites, and camper stops on it, plus Bluetooth to take calls through and it has a very big screen so even on the dash of the Hymer I can see it clearly. Not cheap. But worth it so far. Gary
All well and good.....but does it warn you of an immanent gassing?:whistle:;)

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I always use the route option, fastest/shortest/ with or without Motorway. These are all programmed to use Motorway and fastest route.
The fastest is not necessarily the quickest of course. The Classic test is Eastbourne to Hempstead Kent. Fastest (Motorway) approx. 70 miles. The shortest and of course the quickest is cross country via Maidstone 39 Miles. They just love blue roads. ( just like SHMBO)

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Everything went according to plan, the plan was only shit.

OK Gary what`s it worth?.

Pete

Almost exactly right: everything went according to plan, only (in the sense of "but") the plan was shit.

Here's another one, but it only sounds right in German:

Hast du Spinne, Ratte oder Maus. macdonald macht hamburger daraus.
What's it worth? A pint next time I'm up in East Yorkshire! Gary

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I'm lost. Can anyone tell me where I am? TomTom maps of PZ are rubbish.....

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Can't argue with that. I never touch the stuff down here, was brought up on Tetleys. I used to work in East Yorkshire years ago - Hull. They called us from West Yorks Wessies; won't tell you what we called them! Good times. Gary

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back