Go Outdoors online - Go elsewhere!! (1 Viewer)

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Renault Master self build
Exp
On second van now since 2012
On 24th May, I ordered a chair from Go Outdoors on their website. I paid via Paypal and all seemed good.

About half an hour later, I received an Email from them saying that the item was not in stock and a refund had been processed and would be in my account within 5-7 working days. No such refund has appeared.

I have emailed them 4 times now on the address they gave in the Email they sent me in case of any questions re the refund. They haven't responded to any of them. I have tried ringing them several times only to be told that they are busy and to try later.

Looking into this online, it appears that they are doing this to many customers, sometimes taking people weeks to get their money back for goods they have never had!

I find their lack of stock control and indifference to customers complaints absolutely appalling. They used to be a great shop up until they were taken over by JD sports.

I have raised this as a dispute with Paypal, but so far, Go Outdoors haven't answered the conversation Paypal organised. I have also reported this via Citizen advice to Trading Standards who are now taking this up on my behalf. (It's only £40 but this has really annoyed me!!). If they are doing this deliberately on a large scale it is fraud.

The item I ordered that was out of stock still shows for sale on their website, so no doubt others are ordering it and going through the same.

Needless to say, I won't be using them anymore!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Do this Company realise that in giving poor service they are losing profit on a daily basis because, on reading of your problems, other Funsters are unlikely to buy things from them.

Very poor decision making.

OP
OP
Robmac

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Do this Company realise that in giving poor service they are losing profit on a daily basis because, on reading of your problems, other Funsters are unlikely to buy things from them.

Very poor decision making.

I agree.

It was only when I mentioned to a friend that I hadn't received a refund and he said that they were well known for such practices that I started looking into other peoples complaints and taking the action that I did.

The fact that they won't reply to any of my emails really bugs me!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I only buy from the store about a mile away. But I've often seen offers for lots of stuff at good prices, but at the store they don't have it in stock. Still the cheapest for Calor gas around here.

OP
OP
Robmac

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
I only buy from the store about a mile away. But I've often seen offers for lots of stuff at good prices, but at the store they don't have it in stock. Still the cheapest for Calor gas around here.

Yes, I've always been happy with in store purchases. This is the first time I have used them online, being totally unaware of how completely useless their online ordering system is.

I have found though that the stock in my local store is nowhere near what it used to be.

Apparently their 'click and collect' system draws many complaints as well, with customers reserving goods only to find that when they drive over to collect them the goods are not in stock.

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
Since 2008, with a gap between 2013 and 2018.
I think it's quite easy to get your money back through PayPal resolution centre.

OP
OP
Robmac

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Yes I have opened a dispute with Paypal and I am confident of getting my money back.

It still annoys me though that they are doing this to a lot of people and seem indifferent in their response (or lack of).

I sent yet another email to them this morning and they actually responded! They asked me if I had checked my account to see if I have paid yet (which I had already done) and that I had checked to see if the 5-7 working days they had quoted for had expired (which it had as I had already made clear to them in my email).

They also said that they were going through systems integration at the moment and were inundated with customer emails and some things were getting delayed. They have been using this excuse for months.

I haven't heard from them since.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
What we've found with Go Outdoors is that you find an item on the shelves with a discounted price. You take it to the till and find that the "discount" doesn't exist. You take them to the shelves and show them and they blame the computer. We either insist on the discounted price or walk. Happens too many times to be genuine mistakes so wonder how many others simply pay the higher price. We only use them if nowhere else.

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
Watching watchdog the other night, similar story cannot remember the company, what seemed strange was the expert was stating that you do not have a contract with company until item is posted. It does seem wrong g that they can advertise for items they do not have, take money off you, take weeks to pay you back.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well I was about to order a tent from them but they are now going to miss out on that order !

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
What we've found with Go Outdoors is that you find an item on the shelves with a discounted price. You take it to the till and find that the "discount" doesn't exist. You take them to the shelves and show them and they blame the computer. We either insist on the discounted price or walk. Happens too many times to be genuine mistakes so wonder how many others simply pay the higher price. We only use them if nowhere else.

Only used our local store a couple of times but generally okay. However I got the same thing about "discounted" price. It turned out you could only get that price if you had one of their discount cards - which I promptly did! Bit sharp IMO!

OP
OP
Robmac

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
I do like their price match promise, which states that if you find a product cheaper elsewhere (excluding Ebay, Amazon etc) they will match it and further reduce the price by 10%.

Their online ordering system just seems a scam to me though. They tell you that items are in stock so that you click and collect, but when you get to the store it is not there. I suppose it gets you into the shop in the hope that you will buy something anyway?

And then there is the situation I am in now.

Still no update via email since yesterday morning, still no update on the Paypal dispute from GO. Hopefully this will give Trading Standards more ammunition to take them to task, but I don't really know what powers they have?

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
It may be worth telling the Camping and Caravan Club about the problems and bad service received because they promote them on their website with an extra 10% discount to club members. That may help rattle their cadge to get something done. Good Luck.

OP
OP
Robmac

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
I have sent Go Outdoors a further 3 emails and they haven't replied to any of them.

Still no refund either. They really are a joke!

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Only used our local store a couple of times but generally okay. However I got the same thing about "discounted" price. It turned out you could only get that price if you had one of their discount cards - which I promptly did! Bit sharp IMO!
But we actually have the discount card and they still try it on. I know a lot of people don't like to make a fuss and will just pay the higher price. And that, I think, is what Go trade on.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Have you raised a PayPal dispute? Others have suggested that and it's a good idea.

Edit: Oops! See you've already done this. I'll get my coat.....

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I've never set foot in a Go Outdoors and now unlikely that I will.

Discovered Decathlon in France and they have a huge range of stuff at great prices and have stores in the UK.

OP
OP
Robmac

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
I've never set foot in a Go Outdoors and now unlikely that I will.

Discovered Decathlon in France and they have a huge range of stuff at great prices and have stores in the UK.

I use Decathlon too.

Yes very good range and service.

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
Have to say that our experience with their online system has always been spot on.
Recently ordered a Cadac bbq via this system using the CCC discount and got it cheaper than could find elsewhere.
It was in stock, recived email and txt to pick it up, same as I have always have.
Have even used this system whilst away and picked something up from a store in the Lake district.
Ive taken advantage of their price match and got a cooker refuced from £109 to £58, far cheaper than most retailers, where it was advertised around the £75-£85 mark.
So whats not to like. You need to balance these things out and see the positives as well as the negatives.

OP
OP
Robmac

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
So whats not to like. You need to balance these things out and see the positives as well as the negatives.

I thought I had. As I said I liked shopping in the store.

But when a complaint is completely ignored again and again I think I am entitled to have a bit of a moan about it.

Google it, this is happening to a lot of GO customers.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I asked for post office gift cards for christmas as they could be used in go outdoors. When i finally made my choice and went to pay was told that now they hve been taken over they no longer accept the cards. left the stuff on the counter and walked out.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
You are not alone with your problem following checking their score on Trustpilot (link below).

The high number of one star reviews posted from others recently makes for good reading,.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I do like their price match promise, which states that if you find a product cheaper elsewhere (excluding Ebay, Amazon etc) they will match it and further reduce the price by 10%.

Their online ordering system just seems a scam to me though. They tell you that items are in stock so that you click and collect, but when you get to the store it is not there. I suppose it gets you into the shop in the hope that you will buy something anyway?

And then there is the situation I am in now.

Still no update via email since yesterday morning, still no update on the Paypal dispute from GO. Hopefully this will give Trading Standards more ammunition to take them to task, but I don't really know what powers they have?

I can't see people buying anything by that crooked method of getting you into the shop, you would be fuming if arriving for a click and collect and it was not there surely.

OP
OP
Robmac

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
I can't see people buying anything by that crooked method of getting you into the shop, you would be fuming if arriving for a click and collect and it was not there surely.

Well I certainly would be fuming.

But read the reviews, many people have experienced this and I can't think of a reason why GO have not fixed the problem?

Anyhoo, GO still haven't replied to any of my daily Emails or the Paypal dispute, so I will leave it to Paypal and Trading Standards to sort out.

OP
OP
Robmac

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
I have finally got my refund!

I couldn't resist one more email a couple of days ago saying that I was writing directly to their CEO, half an hour later they replied saying that the refund had now been processed.

The next day they sent me another email asking how I would rate the help received from customer service!

You wouldn't want to read my reply.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back