Go East or Go West? (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Didn't know that simply parking up at the side of a road in France was even an option, My motorhome experience consist of: saw it on ebay, liked it, bought it.
When visiting French friends and family and I always parked on the road side and never had any issues. But these were very rural areas..

On my drives where I failed to find an aire I would pull up at 8pm or so and be gone by 8am. Never had anything outside the van etc. It really was just parking for the night. Never had an issue. That said I have done the same in the UK without any issues either.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
all very well you lot telling him to get on the peage, have you spotted his avatar which I presume is his new MH, check the toll charges @BMM they could take a serious lump out of your planned spending funds :)(y)

4 days to Barcelona is fairly easy toll free and for my input, always west of Paris (y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I don't plan to see any sights in France just want to get to Spain asap. where do I get a Toll Tag from?
From : On behalf of : Sanef Tolling Hornbeam House Hornbean Park Hookstone Road Harrogate HG2 8QT

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I don't plan to see any sights in France just want to get to Spain asap. where do I get a Toll Tag from?

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk

It does save time but not really enough to make that much difference. You're talking about maybe 5 minutes on a journey from Calais to Toulouse.

We use one but it's for the convenience of not having to faff about with change or cards rather than the time factor.

EDIT: I mean saving time compared to just paying the tolls by conventional means.

The toll roads save hours compared to non toll routes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
@Gromett Can I ask what is special about Montreuil-Bellay ?
I`m in the Loire region for the first time in June and my planned route includes Saumur so may take a look

OP
OP
BMM

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
all very well you lot telling him to get on the peage, have you spotted his avatar which I presume is his new MH, check the toll charges @BMM they could take a serious lump out of your planned spending funds :)(y)

4 days to Barcelona is fairly easy toll free and for my input, always west of Paris (y)
Looks like 130 euro each way on the tolls,

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Looks like 130 euro each way on the tolls,

sounds quite good value for class 3 which you certainly will be

but for us that is 4 decent meals paid for just by avoiding motorways (y)

I like the suggestion of rivers further up, more or less what we do without realising it, I have become slightly anal recently in that I avoid paying all tolls, some of them I maybe really should pay to save some time

OP
OP
BMM

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
sounds quite good value for class 3 which you certainly will be

but for us that is 4 decent meals paid for just by avoiding motorways (y)

I like the suggestion of rivers further up, more or less what we do without realising it, I have become slightly anal recently in that I avoid paying all tolls, some of them I maybe really should pay to save some time
As it will be my first trip out in anything bigger than my 4x4 I'll probably stick to the motorways until I get more confident driving the thing, after that I'll avoid the tolls

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
TBH so did we when we first went to south of France and back with caravan and family as quickly as we could in 2 weeks, but 130€ sounds on the low side, even each way, if you go totally by peage and are class 3 :)(y)

MH driving is easier that caravan, but the roundabouts do get tiresome, but chose your route well and there are 100's of miles of toll free dual carriageways (y)

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
If travelling at the beginning of summer holidays I'd certainly go west of Paris.
Using eastern routes you'll be travelling with all the Dutch and Germans heading South, it can be very slow going...

I can't recommend a first stop, as we invariably travel 400miles on first day, hoping to make the journey in three days. We also use tolls and pay for aires as required (time is the main consideration).

First stop Razes. 411miles from Calais

Second stop Carcassonne. 662miles from Calais (so 251miles day 2)
https://www.campercontact.com/en/fr...e-camping-car-carcassone.aspx?filter=|&src=as

Third stop Barcelona. 851miles from Calais (189 miles on day 3)

Untitled.jpg

https://www.viamichelin.com/web/Rou...wance=0&corridor=&departureDate=&arrivalDate=

OP
OP
BMM

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
If travelling at the beginning of summer holidays I'd certainly go west of Paris.
Using eastern routes you'll be travelling with all the Dutch and Germans heading South, it can be very slow going...

I can't recommend a first stop, as we invariably travel 400miles on first day, hoping to make the journey in three days. We also use tolls and pay for aires as required (time is the main consideration).

First stop Razes. 411miles from Calais

Second stop Carcassonne. 662miles from Calais (so 251miles day 2)
https://www.campercontact.com/en/fr...e-camping-car-carcassone.aspx?filter=|&src=as

Third stop Barcelona. 851miles from Calais (189 miles on day 3)

View attachment 165719

https://www.viamichelin.com/web/Routes?departure=62100 Calais&departureId=31NDJxdzgxMGNOVEF1T1RVNE1ERT1jTVM0NE5USTBOQT09&step-1=76000 Rouen&step-2=87640 Razès&step-3=11000 Carcassonne&arrival=Barcelona&arrivalId=31M3JyYjEwY05ERXVNemczT1RJPWNNaTR4TmprNU1nPT0=&index=0&vehicle=0&type=0&distance=mi&currency=EUR&highway=false&toll=false&vignette=false&orc=false&crossing=true&caravan=true&car=luxury&fuel=diesel&fuelCost=1.15&allowance=0&corridor=&departureDate=&arrivalDate=
Very helpful thank you

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just checked the tolls are 130 euro ish for a car though so I would have thought a fair bit more for an RV

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Looks like 220 euros each way over 3.5 tonnes. Just saw your reply I looked at the french toll site perhaps there are different routes to avoid the worst!!

OP
OP
BMM

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Looks like 220 euros each way over 3.5 tonnes
ouch,
I think that's including the fuel estimate. Look at the breakdown at the bottom:

FROM62100 Calais, France

TO31000 Toulouse, France

> Modify the research
> Calculate the return route
Distance: 966.4km dont 946.16 km on motorways
Time: 12H17
Traffic Impact: +01H56
Cost: 223.55 EUR
Toll 132 EUR | Fuel 91.55 EUR

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
@Gromett Can I ask what is special about Montreuil-Bellay ?
I`m in the Loire region for the first time in June and my planned route includes Saumur so may take a look
My Ex lived there so I started going when I was visiting her. However after she left I still went because the Aire is one of my favourites.

It is in between the river and the chateaux. You pass through some ancient arches to get in and there is a great restaruant next to it with very friendly staff.

Climb the hill from the Aire up by the Chateaux and there is some really nice cafes, a boulangerie who produce top quality bread and even a pizzeria/bar for an evening snack/beer.

I just love being next to the river and having loads of ducks for company :D

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We like Montreuil-Bellay as well. Lovely views of the chateau and ancient buildings.
Last time we were there we watched otters hunting for their supper in the river.
Daytime parking is limited in the summer months but OK out of season.

Attachments

• IMG_2409.jpg
    IMG_2409.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_0001 copy.jpg
    DSC_0001 copy.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Montreuil-Bellay Aire 4.jpg
    Montreuil-Bellay Aire 4.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 16
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
ouch,
I think that's including the fuel estimate. Look at the breakdown at the bottom:

FROM62100 Calais, France

TO31000 Toulouse, France

> Modify the research
> Calculate the return route
Distance: 966.4km dont 946.16 km on motorways
Time: 12H17
Traffic Impact: +01H56
Cost: 223.55 EUR

Toll 132 EUR | Fuel 91.55 EUR
I looked here http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/routes.htm put in heavy vehicle 2 axles fuel about 125 tolls 220 euros total 345. I should stick with yours!!!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
When we did our Easter trip this year, we ended up on the South Coast of France and it became a bit of a struggle to get back up to Calais via the West coast in 5 days. There was a lot of driving hours per day. The Aires were great though by the way and highly recommend CamperContact as well. We did use a few motorways and toll roads and being class three as well, did find it expensive about 1\3 more than class two. Unfortunately you cannot get a toll tag for a class three either sent to the UK or for private use as this is currently for commercial vehicles according to the Liber-t website. Good luck with you trip and most of all enjoy the Motorhome friendly country that France is.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
The sign seems to say no camping cars between 1000 and 1900 ?
What's that all about ?
Can you not arrive in a MoHo until after 1900 or have I read it wrong.
Between 15th June and 15th September camping cars are prohibited between 10am and 7pm.
Presume it is to allow car parking during the busy tourist season.
You just have to arrive late and leave early during those times.
We've never arrived there in mid summer so don't know if anyone takes notice of the rules but being France I somehow doubt they are that bothered. :france::clap2:

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back