Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I am booking campsites for my first ever motorhome trip this summer, (never even slept in one) and I'm planning to spend the majority of my time (6 weeks) in Spain. I have a few sites already booked in Spain but haven't managed to book any for the journey through France yet as I cant decide what route I should take, Left or Right of Paris. I'd like to get through France within 3/4 days. What way would you go? Any recommendations of places to stop over night would also be very helpful.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I do a different route each time I go, but one aire I always aim for is the one at Montreuil-Bellay ....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Why rush through France if this is your first trip,it has a lot to offer.

OP
OP
BMM

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I do a different route each time I go, but one aire I always aim for is the one at Montreuil-Bellay ....
Is that a bit too far down to make it for my 1st night from the ferry? I should be leaving Calais at 10.30am. Am I right thinking that unless you get to the Aires before lunchtime they will usually be full up? Sorry for all the questions just don't fancy getting stranded on my 1st night

OP
OP
BMM

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I'm meeting up with friends in Barcelona on day 4 of our trip, I may spend a week in France on the way back

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have a few sites already booked in Spain
He did say.....

Is that a bit too far down to make it for my 1st night from the ferry? I should be leaving Calais at 10.30am. Am I right thinking that unless you get to the Aires before lunchtime they will usually be full up? Sorry for all the questions just don't fancy getting stranded on my 1st night
I use the tunnel when I go and that is usually around the time I arrive. So you should easily make it that far. It is a little bit of a slog but to be honest that is about where I actual feel I am on holiday..

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
First night for a stop is Marboue.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I'm meeting up with friends in Barcelona on day 4 of our trip, I may spend a week in France on the way back
If you have 4 days to make it then.. Montreuil-Bellay 1st day. Bordeaux (Blaye) for the second. Dune du Pilat for the 3rd day. Then you are in Spain easily on the 4th. But you didn't say where in Spain :p

OP
OP
BMM

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Not a bad stop but I do prefer Montreuil-Bellay :p

Think that may be a bit too far down for my first night as AA rout planner says 5 hours from Calais (probably 6 in an RV), I'll have a 4 year old on board and keeping him entertained for 5 hours wont be fun. Look perfect for my way back

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Think that may be a bit too far down for my first night as AA rout planner says 5 hours from Calais (probably 6 in an RV), I'll have a 4 year old on board and keeping him entertained for 5 hours wont be fun. Look perfect for my way back
If that is too far for the first day you aren't going to make Spain in 4 days :(

I drive for 2 hours at a time. So 3 x 2 hours driving stints sound about right to me with a half an hour to 45 minutes breaks each time.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
@BMM I think you may not realise how big the trip is from UK to Spain? You will need to make big chunks of driving to do it on 4 days.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You also haven't said where is Spain you are meeting your friends on day 4? That is pretty much key.

OP
OP
BMM

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
If that is too far for the first day you aren't going to make Spain in 4 days :(

I drive for 2 hours at a time. So 3 x 2 hours driving stints sound about right to me with a half an hour to 45 minutes breaks each time.
It's just a bit too much for day 1 as I'll be driving from Essex to Dover then 90 mins ferry crossing, that will work out roughly 9 hours traveling on day 1, bit too much for the nipper, I plan to do 4-5 hours each day

OP
OP
BMM

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
You also haven't said where is Spain you are meeting your friends on day 4? That is pretty much key.
On one of the Yelloh Village sites just North of Barcelona

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Maybe a better bet would be to set off in the evening and stay very close to dover. So you can make some progress on day 1?

it is around (aprox) 1500 miles from UK to southern Spain. If you need to make it that far in 4 days you really need to be getting on a bit. 350 Miles a day is the target I used to use. Good days I did 400 bad days I did 300. It is your call though and it has been a few years since I last went down to be honest.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
On one of the Yelloh Village sites just North of Barcelona
Ah ok. that Barceloa is only around 900 Miles from memory. So you would need to make 250 miles a day... 360 for Montreuil bellay is probably more than you need in day one then (y).

OP
OP
BMM

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Maybe a better bet would be to set off in the evening and stay very close to dover. So you can make some progress on day 1?

it is around (aprox) 1500 miles from UK to southern Spain. If you need to make it that far in 4 days you really need to be getting on a bit. 350 Miles a day is the target I used to use. Good days I did 400 bad days I did 300. It is your call though and it has been a few years since I last went down to be honest.

Think that could be a good plan, now all I've got to do is learn how to drive the bloody thing:)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Am I right thinking that unless you get to the Aires before lunchtime they will usually be full up?

No you aren't right. Other than the popular costal tourist areas in high season you won't have a problem.

Even if you get really unlucky and can't get on your first choice for whatever reason there will be other options within 30 minutes.

The one thing that you absolutely never need to do in France is use campsites.

OP
OP
BMM

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
No you aren't right. Other than the popular costal tourist areas in high season you won't have a problem.

Even if you get really unlucky and can't get on your first choice for whatever reason there will be other options within 30 minutes.

The one thing that you absolutely never need to do in France is use campsites.
That's very good to know, I'm probably over planning this trip but I'm just trying to avoid too many nasty surprises

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Because if you have limited time and a destination in mind a grand tour of French roundabouts holds very little attraction.

I keep saying it but a lot of people on this site can't seem to get it through their heads.

Not all of us are retired with unlimited time. A lot of us can only travel for 2 weeks at a time and have to travel during the school holiday. It isn't a choice, we have no other option. (y)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Both France and Spain are very big countries compared to the UK.
Unless you want to thrash down motorways for hour after hour it is far better to take a day or two more and get to your destination in a reasonably relaxed mood.
We don't use toll roads and my very rough guide to traveling across France is 'a river a day'.
Day 1, Channel to the Seine
Day 2, Seine to Loire
Day 3, Loire to Dordogne
Day 4, Dordogne to Spanish border.
We try to arrive at aires in the early afternoon and have a leisurely breakfast of fresh croissants before we leave the next morning.
France is too good to rush through. (y):D

Richard.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Think that could be a good plan, now all I've got to do is learn how to drive the bloody thing:)
To be honest. on day one I would be looking to cover as much territory as possible. As the days grind on, the miles pass and the tempers fray it will be harder to make progress. Getting a good chunk wellied in on day one then taking it easier on day 2 onwards always helped me. Until I pass the La Rochelle line I never feel as though I am fully in France though...

I always wanted to get into mid/southern France as quickly as possible.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That's very good to know, I'm probably over planning this trip but I'm just trying to avoid too many nasty surprises

Camper contact (paid for version) will be your best friend.

If you need to find somewhere at short notice based on location then you can use the map search.

Reactions: BMM
OP
OP
BMM

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Because if you have limited time and a destination in mind a grand tour of French roundabouts holds very little attraction.

I keep saying it but a lot of people on this site can't seem to get it through their heads.

Not all of us are retired with unlimited time. A lot of us can only travel for 2 weeks at a time and have to travel during the school holiday. It isn't a choice, we have no other option. (y)
Very true, I plan to leave the day he breaks up from school and come back the day before he returns,

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Am I right thinking that unless you get to the Aires before lunchtime they will usually be full up?
Coastal ones it always used to be 3/4pm. For inland ones there was never really any issues. Things may have changed. But to be honest I was always happy enough to find the next one. Other than the Montreuil-Bellay one I never planned. I would roll up, have a nosey and if it was full or I didn't like the look I would drive a bit further. Very rare that I didn't find one and have to park on the road. That said parking at the side of the road in rural France is never any hardship to be honest.

OP
OP
BMM

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Coastal ones it always used to be 3/4pm. For inland ones there was never really any issues. Things may have changed. But to be honest I was always happy enough to find the next one. Other than the Montreuil-Bellay one I never planned. I would roll up, have a nosey and if it was full or I didn't like the look I would drive a bit further. Very rare that I didn't find one and have to park on the road. That said parking at the side of the road in rural France is never any hardship to be honest.
Didn't know that simply parking up at the side of a road in France was even an option, My motorhome experience consist of: saw it on ebay, liked it, bought it.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If you are going to do Barcelona in four days get yourself a toll tag and make life easy as you won't have a lot of time for site seeing.

OP
OP
BMM

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
If you are going to do Barcelona in four days get yourself a toll tag and make life easy as you won't have a lot of time for site seeing.
I don't plan to see any sights in France just want to get to Spain asap. where do I get a Toll Tag from?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back