go box austria (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
we are traveling to austria and require a go box can they be obtained before on line or do you have to get one when you are there

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
We did the Austrian run a couple of years ago and like you did all the research etc. I sent all details of the van and received back an account for the Go box. As it turned out we didn't bother as we only went to Zell am See which we did via the A roads. One thing we did learn was that fuel was cheaper in Austria than Germany. It's a lovely country, enjoy yourselves!

OP
OP
Mart grump
Apr 26, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
That's interesting that's where we are going did it take much longer on a roads

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Just crossed into Slovakia after spending 10 days in Austria. Entered Austria from Slovenia. Didn't bother with a Go Box even though we are >3.5 t just set the sat nav to "no tolls". Perhaps we were a bit slower, but the roads were good and we saw much more of the country than we would have done on motorways.

Dick

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We have travelled through Austria many times. The faff of getting a go-box, and the eye watering expense has led us to always use the a-roads.
Beware though, the Austrians are getting wise to this, and setting up random weight restrictions on the a-roads, making it a veritable maze to get through. We always use our sat-nav with an up to date map, and we hit the 'avoid toll roads' button as soon as we enter Austria.
So far we haven't had any issues. I just wish that they'd adopt the Swiss method, where you fill in a form and pay up. It makes life so much easier! :-(

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
In Austria, also set your SatNav to "No Motorways", to be sure.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Zell was an easy trip off the motorway and we stayed at camping wolferlgut near Bruke. We spent a night on lake Chimsee before entering Austria. There is a site right on the lake (Zell)you might have a look at but the cycle trails make everywhere accessible. If you play golf then the complex near Zell is somewhere to play. We went in early September but the weather was so changeable we gave it a miss.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
If you get a GO box, MAKE SURE you fulfill the requirements to give confirmation of you vehicle V5 to the central office within 5 days, OR THEY WILL fine you heavily, even if you have not used it. They have done it to other Funsters and it is not plainly obvious that the requirement is there, all written in German for you to NOT understand.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You can get them from motorway services before you get to Austria. We went over the Brenner Pass from Italy and every services for about 40km before we got to the border sold them.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Why bother easy to get about in Austria without using the Autobahns, on our satnav don't even have to turn off motorways &toll roads as "per period use toll roads" is turned by default.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I go along with avoiding tolled roads or even avoiding Austria. But if you feel a compulsion to get a go box you will need a certificate of conformity from the converter ( ie hymer) to avoid a fine for not proving your emmision class.

Its not easy its Austrian!

If you happen to be at sell, take a look at grossglockner.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We're planning to spend a week in Austria next June and haven't driven there for over 40 years - long before the 'go box' had been invented. I understand what folk are saying about avoiding toll roads/motorways - but I'd be interested to know what it costs if we do want one of these boxes? Our PVC is plated at 3,500kg.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
There is a site right on the lake (Zell)you might have a look at but the cycle trails make everywhere accessible.

Zeecamp at one end of the lake gives you lovely views if you bag the right pitch, but it's expensive. Facilities are smart though. We spent three nights there in October. The other one at the opposite end is a bit set back from the lakeside but has a better view of the mountains. The bike track is only off road for the north, south, and west sides of the lake. The east side is basically the local road.

Austrian motorways are similar to German in quality and traffic levels, but with a 60mph limit imposed quite regularly via overhead matrix signs, so you won't lose a huge amount of time using A roads.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
..but I'd be interested to know what it costs if we do want one of these boxes? Our PVC is plated at 3,500kg.

For up to 3.5 tonnes you buy a Link Removed - they're available at service stations just before the Austrian border, or on the border itself. Only 8.80 Euros for 10 days, 25.70 Euros for 2 months.

One useful tip about Austrian autobahns, if a jam forms due to an accident it's expected that you'll automatically pull to one side or the other to form an emergency vehicle corridor.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
For up to 3.5 tonnes you buy a Link Removed - they're available at service stations just before the Austrian border, or on the border itself. Only 8.80 Euros for 10 days, 25.70 Euros for 2 months.

One useful tip about Austrian autobahns, if a jam forms due to an accident it's expected that you'll automatically pull to one side or the other to form an emergency vehicle corridor.
Excellent - thank you - that's really helpful and €8.80 sounds absolutely fine. We've got a chalet booked for 7 nights, so that's perfect.

And I realise now that the 'go boxes' are for vehicles over 3,500kg!

Appreciate your tip about making way for emergency vehicles.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Our first trip we brought a vignette didn't realise it was only up 3500 as we are over that but had no problems, this year we travelled from Garda through to Germany and just avoided the motorways which was pretty easy even around the large towns like Innsbruck. We decided the go box was just too much faff which is a shame as Austria is a great place to visit.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We did it all properly and coughed up 100 € ( deposit on box and prepayment )
After a week of mooching around, during which time we did not use a single motorway we shot off to Italy and Croatia
On the way back we called in to a place to return the thing..
Nope.. Closest one is 25 miles back that way..
Bugger says I..
Where are you going next they ask ..
To Fussen I reply
Ahh ! Excellent. We have an office on the outskirts of Fussen.. I will give you the address

So off we trundled..
Lets just say they told fibs !!!
I even visited the Fusson plod but they said no such place..
I laughed and said sod it, I will take it home with me..
Plod said that is what everyone does any way.. He also suggested just having the box ( a wee orange thing ) in the window is usually quite sufficient to avoid a check LOL !!!

So next year will be the forth year it will be used :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I go along with avoiding tolled roads or even avoiding Austria. But if you feel a compulsion to get a go box you will need a certificate of conformity from the converter ( ie hymer) to avoid a fine for not proving your emmision class.

Its not easy its Austrian!

If you happen to be at sell, take a look at grossglockner.
So your C of C like ours does not have emissions on is, question is do you get charged the higher rate, if so could get very expensive.
Generally, Italy is the only place we don't avoid tolls as the normal roads are so bad and tolls cheap, this year on the way down to Croatia manage to find a really good road that ran alongside the Autostrada - result.

I hope @Jaws luck holds out fines can be very heavy, we have seen the Autobahn closed and all traffic diverted into a rest area with police checking every vehicle. We were under 3.5t at the time and had the vignette at the time, saw loads of Dutch cars & vans pulled over.
Don't worry too much John they only look at the screen as you drive past slowly.

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
How and where do you get a certificate of conformity ? We are going to Austria in April / May in a 2010 Bessacarr 769.

Thanks

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Bought ours for our 5 ton tag in a service area 3 or 4 years ago had to show the log book details were logged on a computer that was it job done.
Personally we try not to use it as it's horrendously expensive 100 euros lasts no time at all. Avoid motorways and add a bit more time to the trip it is a beautiful country after all although never found it a particularly friendly place.
Switzerland is easier just pay at the border minimum 7 days cost us £19.00 just 6 months ago and covers motorways tunnels and bridges.

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Thanks, Yes, we went to Austria a few years ago not knowing anything about an emissions certificate. They set up a go box for us, but they had set it up wrong, despite us handing over our documents. Result was a 100 Euro fine in the post. We often use non toll roads but are a bit wary now after catching the back end on a hairpin bend from Aigues Mortes to Montpellier, which the tourism office advised us was suitable for large motorhomes as lorries go down there ! The road had just been re surfaced on the bend and was raised up. Costly repair

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Given out avoidance of motorway type roads I fully expect the €100 deposit to last longer the I am likely to live !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back