Go box ASFINAG Austria costs (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hi all,

I've just returned from my hols and I have checked my bank account and can advise on costs incurred for my route through Austria.
This is based on having to get a Go Box as my MH is 5200kgs.
You can work out the approximate cost of journeys on the ASFINAG web site but it can be a little confusing, so thought I'd post details on here as it may be of interest to others with a MH above 3.5t:

We travelled to Lake Garda in Jul/Aug'19 outbound via Gotthard Tunnel Switzerland and return via Innsbruck to Fussen Germany/home.

Peschiera del Garda to Innsbruck via Brenner Pass motorway
Innsbruck to Fussen via Fern Pass
I bought the Go Box at Castelrotto - Kastelruth services on the Italian motorway.
Take your log book and credit card with you to the petrol payment kiosk and be prepared to wait as the attendant fits you in between fuel paying motorists.
Questions asked include make and vehicle reg, number of axles and how much would you like to pre-load the go box with (minimum is EUR75)
I put EUR80 on it.
You then stick the box on your dash and it beeps when you go under the appropriate gantries.
Keep the receipt.

You can get the Go Box at Brenner services which is on the border, however, I thought I'd try the services beforehand and if there was an issue or I missed the turning, Brenner would be the last resort.
I'm glad I did as a lot of motorists where asking to buy a vignette and the kiosk guy was turning them away saying they had to purchase this at Brenner services. So would expect that it would have been busier there.

I returned mine at Nassereith services - again within the petrol payment kiosk/shop.

Fuel seemed cheaper in Austria and I think everyone stops to fill up as it was so busy.
This was the only occasion all holiday that I experienced a frosty reception as A) I was returning a Go box which takes a little time and probably doesn't make them any profit to sell and B) I didn't speak the local languages.
Eventually an English speaking chap came and sorted it out.
Take your Go Box and credit card with you.
They put the go box into a machine and the computer calculates what's been used. They refund the difference onto your credit card and tell you that it takes a few days to process/clear.
They refunded EUR33.11
Keep the receipt to check when home - plus it has the contact details on in case of issues.

Compared to visiting other countries I found the whole process to be a pain. Queuing, waiting to be served, tutting as I hadn't bought any fuel etc etc.
plus, because we went in peak season, parking at the said services was a bloody nightmare, but in fairness, we did travel on a Saturday.

So, travelling between Lake Garda to Fussen in Germany via Innsbruck with 5200kg motorhome:
Cost EUR80 = £74.54
refund EUR33.11 = £30.62
Actual cost EUR49.38 = £43.92

Non sterling transaction fees from credit card excluded.

As mentioned, you could probably calculate your approximate costs on their website but I feel it's always helpful for a first timer to look on hear and see what others experienced/ask questions.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for the update BUT be prepared for a letter from ASFINAG to drop through your door anytime in the next 12 months with a fine of €285!! We did exactly the same process as you, took in V5 and got a go-box, loaded it with €80 and set it all up. Beeping as we went under the gantries.

Apparently (from speaking to some Austrian friends) it can be because of a multitude of things:
1. Certain info missing from V5
2. Not providing the CofC (although never asked)
3. Cashier in store did not process the info correct
4. Cashier not following correct procedure

To try and prove number 3 or 4 in a complete waste of time and tying to communicate with ASFINAG is very difficult left us no alternative but to pay the fine! Never again will I visit Austria!

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Yes, we ve got friends who were caught by this. Crap system should never be applied to M1 IMO.

I refuse to buy a go box, if I want to transit Austria I work my way through on the A roads but have heard that the police are now forcing larger vehicles onto the motorways.

Also 50 euros to travel from Italy to Innsbruck is outrageous.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Yes, I agree, the fee paid for the miles done seems excessive.
However, we’ve never been to Austria and and would have found negotiating the A roads a pain as we found in Switzerland on the outbound leg.

As for what’s happened to you dpsuk999 that seems outrageous.
What was your options for not paying it?

I did the online chat facility with ASFINAG prior to travelling to ask loads of questions and to obtain a quote.
This produced an email of the chat. Plus, I took a screen shot of my route in their online web calculator.
Both came to similar amounts compared with what I have been charged (taking rate of exchange into account)
So with the route I’ve actually travelled and fee they’ve charged me - which I deemed correct compared with their web chat and online route calculator, I can’t see how they could then apply a fine or additional fee at a later date. Especially when I’ve got all of the receipts on collection and return of the Go Box with their calculations printed on them.

Did you return your Go Box and arrange your refund prior to leaving Austria or did you post it back upon your return to the UK?
Did your route incur additional cost from what you had pre-loaded the Go Box?
They must have given a valid reason to send a €285 fine 12mths later.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
From what I could gather from the fine paperwork it was to do with missing emissions information on the V5 but the woman in the petrol station was adamant she only wanted the V5 and not the CofC, she was very matter of fact and I got the feeling I was a thorn in her side by obtaining the GO Box.

I wrote to ASFINAG and provided the CofC but they were having none of it and said the fine would be pursued through European channels! Whatever that meant! So I was left only to pay and vow to never to return to Austria again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back