Gnr green card (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Asked to see my documents today by the GNR for parking across bay in stead of in the bay.
But there was no bay markings.
Did not want to argue so I said I would turn around.
Then he asks for my documents,
He says that my insurance with comfort is no good in Portugal .
I need a green card.
After hassleing me for a bit decided not to give me a ticket.
First time hassle at a baragem.

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
The baregem was just below Braganca
Praia fluvial da ribeira.
Do Azibo.
So as a motorhomer your not welcome.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
They only want it as it can be understood in any country. Although the EU passed laws making what cover you had in your own country apply in all others & theoretically did away with the green card, they left a loophole that insurers incountries could "make a charge" if they wished to maintain the same cover in other EU States.
The UK is one of the few who practice this policy meaning that with most UK insurers if you go abroad without notifying them/paying for a green card then your insurance reverts to the minimum required under the link given. Used to be called "road traffic acts".

Of course you don’t need a green card - https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/driving-abroad - but it’s one thing to know that, another to be able to convince a GNR!
that just states that your insursnce id for the minimum required under EU law.

Here in Spain you have to obtain an À4 full sized green card , signed,stAmped snd dated by the agent at no cost, to ensure you have the same cover elsewhere.
I get mine at the beginning of every new insured year.
Another thing to bear in mind is that if you have a green card for a specific time and you exceed it do not ever offer it as I have seen a vehicle seized for having " no insurance" when the bloke did that.Took days to sort out.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
They only want it as it can be understood in any country. Although the EU passed laws making what cover you had in your own country apply in all others & theoretically did away with the green card, they left a loophole that insurers incountries could "make a charge" if they wished to maintain the same cover in other EU States.
The UK is one of the few who practice this policy meaning that with most UK insurers if you go abroad without notifying them/paying for a green card then your insurance reverts to the minimum required under the link given. Used to be called "road traffic acts".

that just states that your insursnce id for the minimum required under EU law.

Here in Spain you have to obtain an À4 full sized green card , signed,stAmped snd dated by the agent at no cost, to ensure you have the same cover elsewhere.
I get mine at the beginning of every new insured year.
Another thing to bear in mind is that if you have a green card for a specific time and you exceed it do not ever offer it as I have seen a vehicle seized for having " no insurance" when the bloke did that.Took days to sort out.

Good to know.

I insure two UK Registered RHD cars in Spain for use use in the EU on "Tourism" policies.

I wonder how the Green Card works then?!

más complicado después del 29 de marzo de 2019

I should enquire.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

captainscarlett

Free Member
Apr 20, 2017
Norfolk/Europe
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
10 years
Am i correct in thinking that when travelling in the EU you are only covered 3rd party? I have comprehensive cover at home, going through my policy it does state minimum cover in the EU. So if i have an incident with a non insured driver or my MH is damaged or stolen then its down to me sort out?

Worried!

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Good to know.

I insure two UK Registered RHD cars in Spain for use use in the EU on "Tourism" policies.

I wonder how the Green Card works then?!

más complicado después del 29 de marzo de 2019

I should enquire.

Also. How do "Tourism" policies work?

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
My insurance cert is printed on green paper, is that the answer?

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Am i correct in thinking that when travelling in the EU you are only covered 3rd party? I have comprehensive cover at home, going through my policy it does state minimum cover in the EU. So if i have an incident with a non insured driver or my MH is damaged or stolen then its down to me sort out?

Worried!
Obviously my comments hold no legal status but every year at renewal I always ask this question and I am always assured that cover is the same as U K.

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
On my certificate of insurance at the bottom it says the relevant law applicable in Great Britain, northern Ireland, Isle of Man, island of jersey and the island of Alderley.
Nothing about eu country's.

captainscarlett

Free Member
Apr 20, 2017
Norfolk/Europe
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
10 years
I have just had a chat with a nice lady at Safeguard Insurance, she has assured me that they do automatically provide fully comprehensive cover whilst travelling in the EU.
So if your current provider does not, i suggest you give Safeguard a call.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Our Safeguard policy definitely gave us 365 day fully comp cover in EU, and a green card, should we have needed one, would have been free.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Worried!
What is on the back of your certificate is a statement of your legal basic 3rd party cover.
You need to check your policy to see which countries your full policy cover extends to.
Most Motorhome insureres cover all EU countries, NFU don't cover Croatia, unless you pay for a green card

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Axa , fully comp in EU countries. I'll have to check for Croatia if we go there.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I know for sure Safeguard and Comfort are fully comp throughout EU. And neither requires me to notify them if I am going abroad.

My renewal letter from Comfort says the following "The wording of the Pan European Green Card appears on the reverse of the Certificate of Insurance and this document should accompany you on all trips to the Continent ......". Sure enough the wording on the back is in English and 4 other languages. AFAIK that means I do not need a green card.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back