Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2011 after tugging.
Strange one for here but........

My MH has had beam benders fitted in the past and i have just the remains of the adhesive on the lenses, any good tips for removal ?

Tried White Spirits, Petrol and a hair dryer but no joy ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I assume, as you already tried petrol, that they are glass and not plastic.

Paint thinners or a similar solvent will shift it but avoid spills on the plastic bumper.

Brake & clutch cleaning spray should also do the job, available at most motoring shops and good for cleaning stubborn marks on the bodywork too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I assume, as you already tried petrol, that they are glass and not plastic.

Paint thinners or a similar solvent will shift it but avoid spills on the plastic bumper.

Brake & clutch cleaning spray should also do the job, available at most motoring shops and good for cleaning stubborn marks on the bodywork too.

It's a Renault and they are plastic so have to be careful but petrol is no problem.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Tried bog standard furniture spray polish?
Spray on, leave it for a while, clean off.
Usually works.

Cheers John,
Will deffo give it a go, if nothing else I will get smooth and shiney lights :)

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Scotch 3m easy clean pen, for removing glue

We use one of these pens....very good.....but try in a small area in the corner first
when a glass and the barcode has left a mark when you pulled it off or have a desk and the kids have written on it with a marker ?
this product is for you from 3M Scotch range.
Great for removing:
Graffiti
Adhesive
Residues
Suitable for use on:
Desks
Lockers
Dishes
Glasses
Metal
Leather
and more
Due to its design as a pen instead of a fluid it is easy to use, accurate and you can keep it handy in a pocket, tool or craft box.
Link Removed

Link Removed

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnRfuR-EuK0"]3M EASY CLEAN PEN.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

31A2IN8MI%2BL.jpg

Its worth a try

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I had the same problem,tried petrol etc ,eventually used a window scraper.The type with the Stanley blade ,make sure it's brand new as will have no nicks in blade which could scratch! Slow steady strokes,came off a treat.

Vlad.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I had the same problem,tried petrol etc ,eventually used a window scraper.The type with the Stanley blade ,make sure it's brand new as will have no nicks in blade which could scratch! Slow steady strokes,came off a treat.

Vlad.

Good shout here but prefer chemical route as plastic lenses but if I can soften the stuff then it's a great idea for removal, ta.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
This will remove anything.

C2HCl3

If the residue is hard to remove a hold a soaked cloth against it for a few mins.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Try Duraglit - metal polish wadding . My mum always used this in her shop to remove the sticky residue from price tickets.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Sounds perfect, is it legal he he.

Yes you can still buy trichloroethylene, in fact 3M sell it as a Hydro carbon cleaner. I can check which product if you need as I still have some samples lying around.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Try Duraglit - metal polish wadding . My mum always used this in her shop to remove the sticky residue from price tickets.

Wow it's all coming in now, potions and lotions.

Have some Brasso so will try that.

I wonder if all these things I'm to try will make some explosive concoction !!

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Yes you can still buy trichloroethylene, in fact 3M sell it as a Hydro carbon cleaner. I can check which product if you need as I still have some samples lying around.

Crikey I remember at work getting paint jigs stripped with Trike then they banned it, replaced with some more expensive crappy stuff, good move eh.

Samples? Yes pls

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Last time I removed my beam deflectors it left behind a clear plastic sheet. I thought that was glue and tried to remove it with solvents.

In fact I was able to pick it off and only a minor amount of glue was left on the headlamp surface which was easily removed.

Steve

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Well it's 8.05 am stupid o'clock as excited about getting the crap off my lights.

I guess as plastic;
Wd40 fail
Mr Sheene fail
Duraglit fail
Brasso fail

So despite all your valiant attempts no joy yet, any more potions out there before I get the Kango out ?

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Last time I removed my beam deflectors it left behind a clear plastic sheet. I thought that was glue and tried to remove it with solvents.

In fact I was able to pick it off and only a minor amount of glue was left on the headlamp surface which was easily removed.

Steve

Thanks Steve, this is horrible, it will pick but tiny fragments and would take months and looks like scratches appear.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
So despite all your valiant attempts no joy yet, any more potions out there before I get the Kango out ?.

YES...a new this

renault-master-ii-2004-onwards-ns-headlight-new--166-p[ekm]150x112[ekm].jpg

OR....or a new that

Link Removed

:RollEyes::winky::winky:

Last edited:

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
Just a word of caution when removing beam deflectors from plastic lenses - go careful with the hair dryer. I did this on the bike a few years ago and the deflector came off nicely... together with the plastic film over the light. :Eeek: I then had no option but to block it down with 1200 grit and re-polish with Farecla G3 & G10 by machine. As good as new again now, but a lot of effort.

And as for petrol on plastic, again be careful, as it gets into the resin (plastics are porous) and, although will polish out, the staining will return. You'll be ok if you immediately wipe and wash off, but it will leach into the resin in quite a short time.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Just a word of caution when removing beam deflectors from plastic lenses - go careful with the hair dryer. I did this on the bike a few years ago and the deflector came off nicely... together with the plastic film over the light. :Eeek: I then had no option but to block it down with 1200 grit and re-polish with Farecla G3 & G10 by machine. As good as new again now, but a lot of effort.

And as for petrol on plastic, again be careful, as it gets into the resin (plastics are porous) and, although will polish out, the staining will return. You'll be ok if you immediately wipe and wash off, but it will leach into the resin in quite a short time.

Great shout- thanks

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Wa hey success

Tried an old fashioned razor blade, one with one side with like a cover on it so only one actual blade.
I held the blade as flat as I could to keep away from the lens and hey presto it worked a treat, the stuff just rolled away. I have marked the lens in one tiny place but that's fine, all done and well chuffed.

Thanks to all, as ever great support - now about this rash I have ........

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Wa hey success

Tried an old fashioned razor blade, one with one side with like a cover on it so only one actual blade.
I held the blade as flat as I could to keep away from the lens and hey presto it worked a treat, the stuff just rolled away. I have marked the lens in one tiny place but that's fine, all done and well chuffed.

Thanks to all, as ever great support - now about this rash I have ........

:RollEyes::winky::winky:....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.....I think the **x*** ********** ******* clinic may be best:thumb:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back