glow plug 2.5 TD (1 Viewer)

Gobil

Free Member
Jan 5, 2010
Funster No
Hi All,

My glow plug light is staying on WAY too long in the cold weather on my ducato. From a bit of reading, it seems these vans have a flame-start system, which consists of a single type of glow plug which lights some fuel and heats the air going into the cylinder (am I right here??).

Anyway, I figured it could be time to replace it, has anyone replaced one of these before??

Cheers

G

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
It has been exeptionaly cold lately so it will need more time to heat up, if it starts, leave it alone and wait for the warmer weather and see how it performs then.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Mine, a ducato 2000, 2.8 td stays on too for too long, but then starts to FLASH :Sad:. I normally turn the ignition back off and on again at this point, but somtimes still flashes or goes out eventually.

Later that day to come home from work, i dont have a problem and everything seems normal again.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
What temperature were you starting at?

I have Ducato 2.8jtd and when it was -4C my glowplus were needing 20 secs.+ Now it is above Zero they are back to usual 2-3secs.

I have an old Merc engine in my boat in Greece. If I do not give the pre-heat at least 30 secs. ,even in Aug, she will not start - maybe weaker glowpllugs.

I think you have no problem. Just make sure battery is well up in the cold, because the pre-heat drains them quite quickly.

Geoff

Tiderus

Free Member
May 2, 2008
Tywyn, West Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Twelve years
Sounds like you have a Flame heater usually screwed in the inlet manifold. The were extensivley used in the Perking 4108 engine some 40 odd years ago. They are fed diesel fuel from a small die cast cylinder located higher up usually on the bulkhead. I have replaced a couple in the past. In fact I have a new one around somewhere here. Just remove the fuel feed pipe, unscrew the right hand threaded unit, and replace. It takes about 30 seconds warming up followed by a pop as it ignites. Then turn engine over as you know. Not a bad system. a simple one which reminds me of the lorry drivers holding a lighted rag over the inlet manifold to start in very cold weather. Don't see it often nowerdays. Hope this is of help.
Rgd's Graham.

Hycon

Free Member
Oct 6, 2008
N.E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
just starting
Thanks for that explaniation Graham .I was puzzled on how my 1996 2.5 fiat Hymer single glow plug system worked.I have never had a problem strarting but noticed that it only came on when the temp was minus deg.It then stayed on and flashed while the engine was running until the temp increased.
Sid

OP
OP
G

Gobil

Free Member
Jan 5, 2010
Funster No
good info thnks!

it is a 1993 Ducato 2.5TD, yes it is the flame heater system, I let the light stay on for 1min plus when it was cold recently, this drained the battery and the van wouldn't start and the bat went flat. I'm going skiing in the van so I want this sorted, would you reccommend just getting a new flame heater plug and replacing?

cheers,
G

Tiderus

Free Member
May 2, 2008
Tywyn, West Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Twelve years
good info thnks!

it is a 1993 Ducato 2.5TD, yes it is the flame heater system, I let the light stay on for 1min plus when it was cold recently, this drained the battery and the van wouldn't start and the bat went flat. I'm going skiing in the van so I want this sorted, would you reccommend just getting a new flame heater plug and replacing?

cheers,
G

Hi Gobil, Yes replace the unit. Like all of us they get a little tired as they get older. This takes longer to heat up, and concequently uses more amps to function. It made a difference to mine when I replaced them. Mine took a minute or so, then 30 seconds when replaced. You could check that the filler reserviour is clean and flows free first, but haven't had a problem with any yet. Best of luck, keep us pitched on how you get on. Rgd's Graham.

OP
OP
G

Gobil

Free Member
Jan 5, 2010
Funster No
Took the heater unit out yesterday and hooked it up tp a 12V charger, but no heat whatsoever, ordered another one so will replace soon. Just wondering where the temp sensor is on these units as I couldn't locate it, there are too wires going to the top of the plug, is the plg itself a temp sensor? if not where is it located?

cheers

G

Tiderus

Free Member
May 2, 2008
Tywyn, West Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Twelve years
Only one lead on mine, plus the body as an earth. You waited till it popped, when cold. Then turned it over straight away when hot, no sensor was needed. Ah'h the simple ways, When we all new a little then that got you by. Now a warning light comes on and its back to the garage for a computer hook up and a big bill.
Rgd's Graham.

OP
OP
G

Gobil

Free Member
Jan 5, 2010
Funster No
replaced the unit but still no popping, the contact on the relay was worn so clipped a bit of brass contact on there and now the 12V is getting to the plug. however, still no popping. 12V is not getting to the solenoid valve for some reason, just wondering does the solenoid valve open only when you turn the engine over, or does it open whenplug light comes on?

I dont see where the pressure for the diesel to go into the plug would come from if the engine is not being turned over, what do ye reckon?

cheers

G

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back